Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '92-'95 Civic | EL | Civic Hybrid | Civic GX NGV
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-27-2001, 12:46 PM   #1
ElektronBlue
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to ElektronBlue Send a message via Yahoo to ElektronBlue
Question

Sup ya'll -

Gotta newbie question!

What ya all think about droppin' a 96 Prelude 2.2 or 2.3 VTEC in a 97Civic DX 4dr...(<- mostly stock besides i/e)..

Is it possible?... Good idea? How much ya think you could find one for (engine)? Any advice?

Thanks!

lataz
ElektronBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 02:29 PM   #2
LakeMountLude
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to LakeMountLude Send a message via AIM to LakeMountLude
Talking haha..

hate to say this bro but there is no such thing as a 2.3L VTEC there is such thing as a H22 VTEC (2.2L) and a H23 engine (2.3L).. umm the 2.2 vtec puts out anywhere from 190-200 hp and about 152lb torque depending which one, and the H23 puts out 160HP stock about and 150 lb torque.. I personally like the h23 better cause i feel you can make them faster cause of the bigger bore cylinders etc.. but hell if you have the money to spend on a new engine i would get a h23 block and a h22 (vtec) head and put it on there you just need to get the proper stuff like ecu, timing belt, etc.. every honda owners dream hybrid hehe.. well hope i helped.. let me know if you have any other ??
LakeMountLude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 06:39 PM   #3
JD@af
Missing in action

Send a message via ICQ to JD@af Send a message via AIM to JD@af
Arrow ElektronBlue

It is very possible to do this; it is a tougher conversion than dropping a B series motor into your car, but you can do the swap with the aid of a mounting kit (check HASport as your best option, or Place Racing, or HCP). These run a few hundred, but to get the engine into your car, I think it's worth the investment.

I'd actually recommend checking in at www.atomicperformance.com and investigating getting the swap done through them. They advertise doing a complete swap for $5,000 to $5,400. You could probably do it cheaper yourself or even at a competing shop, but these guys do good work. Best of luck, and welcome to AF-

-JD
JD@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 03:06 AM   #4
ElektronBlue
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to ElektronBlue Send a message via Yahoo to ElektronBlue
Cool

Thanx fer the info! (i'm still learnin!)

The reason why I said 2.3 VTEC was cuz of this e-bay ad... "You are bidding on a COMPLETE 2.3 VTEC drivetrain, out of a 1996 Honda Prelude Si." so I just went with it ..!

Thanks for the sites I'll take a look .. Like I said.. a newbie to the game.. and daaamn this game looks fun!

lataz
ElektronBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 05:23 AM   #5
TheMan5952
Volvo Guy

Send a message via AIM to TheMan5952
Yea, teh H22A and H23A sit at different angles, you would have to have the mounts placed and angled just right.

Then you have the issue of increased understeer, you need good coilovers, like Apexis or something. They have to be good.

Sold!1993 volvo 850
Intake, Exhaust, Springs, Shock, I.C.E.
TheMan5952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 12:50 PM   #6
LakeMountLude
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to LakeMountLude Send a message via AIM to LakeMountLude
actually it mounts in purty well.. a lot of peeps i talked to said so anyways... of course i havent done it... your car would handle idff tho cause it would way a lot less and your center of gravity has moved so it wil be noticable... let us konw if you have any other ???
-Phantom Grip Limited Slip Differential
-Apex'i VAFC
-ViS Racing Xtreme Front End
-ViS Racing Xtreme Sideskirts
-Vis Racing Kombat Rear Bumper
-Altezza Style Tailights
-18" Konig Monsoons
-Nitto NT-450's
-4 Kenwood 180 Watt (M&H's)
Future Mods
-Turbo
One hotttt lude!!!
-=duSTin=-

LakeMountLude is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '92-'95 Civic | EL | Civic Hybrid | Civic GX NGV