Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 12:26 PM   #1
dan fitz
AF Newbie

95 taurus power window only goes down

one of the dozen or so cars i take care of has a passenger front window that won't go up. the other windows all operate just fine. the motor finished taking it down but there's no sound at all coming from it when i press the buttons to raise it, just the click of the switch's internal contacts. same thing with master switch and door switch, and for starters i removed both of these and popped them apart to look at the internals, nothing wrong with either switch, no broken plastic rockers, etc. my useful haynes manual says to go to the dealer due to the complexity of the system, hah. should i look inside the door next, is this a problem anyone has dealt with? obviously the motor is at least functional but it seems silly that the "up" wire would have come loose from the unit.
dan fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:24 PM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: 95 taurus power window only goes down

The switch reverses the polarity to the window motor so there isn't an "up" wire. I'd start by removing the door panel, unplugging the connector from the motor, and checking for voltage. Is the window slower than expected to lower? If so you might have gummy grease in the window tracks and regulator assembly that are causing the motor to draw enough to trip the self resetting circuit breaker. When lowering the window gravity works in the favor of the motor and keeps the breaker from tripping.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:44 PM   #3
yotermanic
AF Regular

If the fuse didn't blow when you tried to raise it, it's the switch. If it did, it's either a jammed regulator or the switch. Check the breaker anyway, it's right above the one for the drier, beside the one for the bathroom.
yotermanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:23 AM   #4
shorod
SHO No Mo

No point checking the power window fuse, there isn't one. The power windows in a 1995 Taurus do not use a fuse, they use a circuit breaker. The only fuse in that circuit is for the switch illumination. If they used a fuse, the fuse could blow each time the window motor stalled because the window reached the end of the window track. Instead, the circuit breaker opens the circuit to prevent overheating the wiring and/or burning up the power window motor.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:12 PM   #5
dan fitz
AF Newbie

thanks guys. i popped off the panel and brought a spare battery over, unplugged the wires to the motor and raised it with the battery jumpers, so at least it's up now. voltmeter showed no current to the other side of that plug when pressing the up side of the switch, only the down side. i'll check it on the driver's door too to narrow down the problem.
dan fitz is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Taurus | Taurus Wagon