Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Street Post topics for any "Works In Progress" street vehicles projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-07-2023, 10:18 AM   #1
Deathtrap
AF Regular

Porsche 911 992 GT3 RS

Yes, again a Porsche from me.
This is the brand new kit from KitBox/PzyModel of the 2023 911 GT3 RS. A kit absolutely packed with extras. I was lucky get myself a first batch kit which includes the Combo version of this kit. With that I can build the 'regular' RS or the even more special Weisach one.

This is the kit contents and some promotional pictures.

The resin parts are stunning. I did not find a single air bubble. All details are crisp, nothing bend or broken in transit.

Since I already have build a GT3 RS before (based of the Tamiya GT3) I want this one to have the same color scheme; white with the red accents.

I had doubted between the regular and Weisach one, but since this is the most extreme normally aspirated 911, I'm going to the full mile, so Weisach package it is!
This is the color scheme

And a sample with the Weisach package.

First off... cleaning any left over mold release residue and hit the model with some primer.

Apparently there was still some residue (fish eye), so a bit more cleaning and another bit of primer.

And then the problem with a first batch kit. Apparently they mist 2 panel lines before the model went to the caster. But they resolved that by adding in a PE template to scribe it yourself. A small scratch had to fill, but for the rest it worked perfectly. The body shows the option for the RHD version, but the kit does not support it. So as per the instructions, I willed the holes for the windshield whippers for the RHD one.

Deathtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 02:09 AM   #2
Deathtrap
AF Regular

Re: Porsche 911 992 GT3 RS

Prepped all parts that need to be primed and painted in semi gloss black.

Then I used Porsches car configurator for a preview of what I hope to achieve.

The only thing the configurator wasn't showing in the images, was the red stitching. The kit comes with decals for the stitching, so that I will be adding as well.
Old 08-11-2023, 02:20 AM   #3
potsie
AF Enthusiast

Wow, what a stunning project!
potsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 04:26 AM   #4
Deathtrap
AF Regular

All semi gloss black parts are painted. Well... not all, because I forgot the inside of the body and interior tub
But that is not to hard to do...

And then I had a bit of a discussion on the roll bar. The Weissach Package speaks of a carbon roll bar and I can see it in some photos. But there are also quite some photos showing a steel (black painted) roll bar. And actually that steel one corresponds to the one in the kit.
Since it is difficult to see, it is still Porsche accurate and I don't want to scratch build myself a new roll bar, I'm going for a gloss black steel one.

The kit part and the real thing.

(The funny face is Doug Demuro, who is a great car reviewer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIKlYlCzjdI&t=916s)

And some press photos of the carbon roll bar

Old 09-07-2023, 03:38 PM   #5
willimo
Sweet, sweet tiny Hondas.

Excellent start, I like the panel line templates they included. That's a cool idea, even if it's just a solution to an error. I'm really curious about how this kit comes together, these small resin casters are getting better but are still a little hit or miss.

Recent builds: Rocket Bunny FR-S and stock BRZ Toyota bB Bro-style Civic K20 powered SiR converted EK WIP I build slowly and poorly.
willimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 03:27 AM   #6
JesusM
AF Enthusiast

Amazing model!! I want to buy one of this Porsche but I'm not sure if this is better or not than Alpha one. Any advice, comment? Thanks!!
JesusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 07:27 AM   #7
Deathtrap
AF Regular

I have no experience with AlphaModel yet. I am planning on buying some of their kits too. But this has the exact same price and is drop dead gorgeous and in pristine quality. With the knowledge I have now, I would advise this kit.

I've just finished the Speedster, so I can continue on this one now.
Old 11-13-2023, 03:20 AM   #8
Deathtrap
AF Regular

I've been working on the interior. Dozens of tiny decals have to be placed around the interior. Each button on the dashboard has its own little decal. Supurb detail, but one that is close to invisible once all is assembled :|
The kit also comes with different colored stitching and I was planning to use the red one. However, those decals are too translucant and the red is invisible on the black parts. For that reason I decided to leave that.

The rims I had painted in a gloss black, followed by chrome and a candy red from Street Blisters. However, the red was to dark for what I was looking for.

In a second attempt I started with the same preparation layers and then topped it off with Tamiya clear red. That gave me the color I was looking for.

Then It was time to paint the body. I started painting the insides semi gloss black to match the rest of the interior. Then, after some masking, the exterior was painted in Street Blisters GrandPrix White.

And finally the calipers where painted in a bright yellow (Speed Yellow - ZeroPaints) to go with the Ceramic Brake discs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deathtrap For This Useful Post:
fafnir (11-13-2023)
Old 11-22-2023, 02:10 AM   #9
Deathtrap
AF Regular

Continuing on the Porsche.
I've applied the CF decals and the GT3RS markings on the sides.

While Sol is doing its magic, I've started work on the headlights. I need to mention that each headlight consists of 5 parts and 7 decals but still everything fits perfectly. I have had ZERO issues with fitment on this kit; superb quality.

Next up... polishing. Unfortunately I always end up with a spec of dust here or there. I've managed to polish most of it to near invisibility, and the rest isn't to prominent to bring out the big guns. I'm happy as is sits right now.
And then it was time to add the semi-gloss black trim, instantly giving the car it's typical character.

I'm expecting this build will be finished soon...
Old 11-30-2023, 07:39 AM   #10
Deathtrap
AF Regular

And I finished the Porsche. I'll show all pictures in the Completed section, but here is a teaser.

As I mentioned a few times, the kit is really of high quality. Lots of details and option. There are just 2 points I would like to mention.
1. the rear wing. I've seem quite a few people complaining it is bend, as is mine. Even dipping it in hot water trying to bend it straight did not fully fix it.
2. The clear parts as slightly undersized. Specially with the 3 part tail lights this is showing a few gaps.

All in all, I had great fun and a terrific cool car in my collection.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deathtrap For This Useful Post:
fafnir (11-30-2023), mrgixxer (12-04-2023)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Street