Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Spectra | Cerato | Forte | Mentor
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Spectra | Cerato | Forte | Mentor Couple 4 and 5 door models.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 09:40 PM   #1
Luca_Brazi
AF Newbie

Kia Spectra Maintanence

Hi all. Just got a 2003 Kia Spectra with 63900 on it. There are no maintenance records. There are plans to use it for the next ten (10) years and see if the lil 4cyl will last til 200,000 miles or until gas is $5.50 gallon, whichever comes first...lol. Seems like a nice car. Engine runs smooth, AC works, and some neat modern features (like the overhead console sunglass holder...feeling so spoiled now).

There is some curiousity as to the general maintanence on this 4cyl engine. A few questions are:
1) does the timing belt/ water pump/ cam sensor require the 60k maintenance/ repair interval like on toyota and hondas,
2) what is known to break on this car (so it can be more appropriately maintained),
3) how many miles can a person realisticaly expect from this car with proper routine mainenance,
4) where can parts be obtained (autoparts store?),
5) does a Haynes, Chilton or other brand repair manual exist for this car?
Thx.
Luca_Brazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 11:55 PM   #2
cbeck
AF Regular

Re: Kia Spectra Maintanence

my guesses

1) yes
2) Hmm... haven't noticed any complaints on the 03's
3) 200K also with easy driving, assuming it's a manual.
4) haven't had to buy any parts yet.. dealer of course, I'm guessing autozone would have em?
5) nope. Buy the shop manual from the dealer or online. round a hundred bucks, but always good to have.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:58 AM   #3
Wild1
AF Regular

3) I haven't had anything break on mine but a good general maintenance is oil, plugs, and a throttle body wipe down.

Oil is 10-40
Plugs at 60K you're about due... they like NGKs
Throttle Body wipe down removes the carbon in the throttle body. Get some throttle body cleaner (not carb cleaner) from your local parts store. Spray it on a rag not directly into the throttle body or you'll destroy the wax pellet in the Throttle Body. Then with the intake tube off and engine off, open the throttle body and use your saturated towel to wipe down and remove any carbon buildup.
Wild1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 06:38 AM   #4
ricebike
AF Enthusiast

1) wife's 95 honda accord doesn't need a timing belt change until 90-105 k miles... if you got the 1.6L, 1.8L, or 2.0L "DOHC" engines, you'll have to be strict w/ the timing belt interval= they are "interference engines"

the SOHC engines are "freewheeling" so if it decides to snap the belt, you're engine is safe from harm. DOHC engines will mostly bend valves or worse.
ricebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 05:46 PM   #5
jrdpad1986
AF Newbie

Well, I have had my 03 spectra for 21 months and have put 81,000 miles on it. so just over 90,000 on it now
I am also looking for a manual, since I have to replace the drivers front wheel bearing.

It's been a great car, after all the abuse I put it through. I carry around 200lbs of tools in it and drive at least 120 miles a day. It has also been backed into by a big truck and hit a deer! Now it just has to last until I pay it off (another 3 years)

One thing, I have not (knock on wood) done is take it in for any of the 30,000 mile check-ups, just 5,000 mile oil changes and tire rotations.

Not sure if I'll buy another for work purposes, but It is a great grocery getter....
jrdpad1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 10:11 AM   #6
Wild1
AF Regular

I've got a 2.0L Spectra and I love it. It sounds like you may have the 1.8L which also are good. Of all of the maintenance I would strongly recommend at least a Auto Trans Flush since those A/Ts love to be clean.

TAKE NOTE: If it is the original A/T it needs DEXTRON III.
If has been replaced then it needs SP-III.

Often at Jiffy Lube they would throw in Dextron III in a replaced SP-III which toasts the trans. Has it ever been replaced by a dealer?

Keep your records for oil changes. Were they done at a dealer?
Wild1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 11:05 PM   #7
FamilyManOfFive
AF Newbie

Talking 1996 Spectra

Well, mine has 190k on it, but I take care of it. Regular oil changes (I now use 5w-20) and trans services (I use synthetic). I still get great gas mileage. I just bought a 2005 Spectra 5 and I love it. I run 5w-20 oil and synthetic trans fluid (yes it's SPIII and Dexron III compatible). I get 35 hwy and 27 city mpg. You'll love the car(s).

JP
FamilyManOfFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 03:52 PM   #8
studsmilinatu
AF Newbie

I have a 02 kia specta, and thats my baby. I call her Sally and i have been back and fourth from Ny to SC with her. Now i had the battery replace like a month ago. Now my heat doesnt work, can someone tell me if maybe they did something wrong???
studsmilinatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 08:28 AM   #9
ricebike
AF Enthusiast

they didn't do something wrong... unless they connected the battery wires to the wrong terminals (which i've seen to blow car's brain in a few cases)

Thermostat may be stuck open? how's the cooling system's condition in general?
ricebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:05 PM   #10
studsmilinatu
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Kia Spectra Maintanence

The cooling system works good in the car. Well except for the squeling when i first crank it up. That only last a minute and not alot. The heat doesnt work at all. I'm going to get a tune up tommorrow and hopefully they can tell me whats wrong with it.

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricebike
they didn't do something wrong... unless they connected the battery wires to the wrong terminals (which i've seen to blow car's brain in a few cases)

Thermostat may be stuck open? how's the cooling system's condition in general?
studsmilinatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 02:46 PM   #11
MeettheCreeper
AF Regular

Re: Re: Kia Spectra Maintanence

Quote:
Originally Posted by studsmilinatu
I have a 02 kia specta, and thats my baby. I call her Sally and i have been back and fourth from Ny to SC with her. Now i had the battery replace like a month ago. Now my heat doesnt work, can someone tell me if maybe they did something wrong???
The rod for the blend door probably fell off. Common on spectra. 2 min fix.
MeettheCreeper is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Spectra | Cerato | Forte | Mentor