Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 02:36 PM   #1
Akira13126
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Akira13126
Anyone know what this car is???

[IMG][/IMG]
Akira13126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 05:25 PM   #2
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

Re: Anyone know what this car is???

It looks like an early 60s Lincoln Continental.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:24 PM   #3
G-man422
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to G-man422

are planning on restoring it?
G-man422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 08:41 PM   #4
Akira13126
AF Regular

thinking about restoring it depends on how much the guy wants for it.... How much would something like this go for???
Old 10-19-2005, 05:58 PM   #5
G-man422
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to G-man422

its hard to tell what kind of condition its in from the pic, so im not really sure.
G-man422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 10:53 PM   #6
9ball
AF Regular

I certainly wouldn't pay more than a couple grand for it. Looks to be about a 63 or 4 lincoln. On this car, I don't think parts will be cheap or very easy to come by. I may be wrong though, I don't know fords like I do chevy's.
9ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 02:45 PM   #7
stexch
AF Newbie

This body style of Lincoln Continental was made from 1962-1964. It is identical to my '62. Parts are readily available at www.lincolnland.com. They provide excellent service at reasonable prices. I would put value at $1000 for a running project car with needs, to $4000 for one that has been restored to local car show standards.

I would recommend that you only get this if it is nearly complete, and in overall decent condition. The reason is that the cost of a restoration (especially if you have to hire anything done) will quickly exceed the value of the finished car.

The best feature about these cars is their ride. You have to keep an eye on the speedometer, because you can be going 80 mph and feel like you're going 40.

These cars have a 430 c.i. MEL (Mercury, Edsel, Lincoln) engine. Be advised that there is very little in common between these engines and the Ford engines of any vintage. Because of this, performance parts are nearly non-existant. These engines were designed to run on high-octane, leaded fuel. If you intend on putting many miles on it, you will want to have the heads adapted to run on unleaded fuel. Also, when you replace the battery, get the highest number of CCA available, as this big engine takes alot of power to crank over. I converted mine to an electric fuel pump, which helps it start more quickly.

Please be warned that you may have difficulty finding a buyer when you decide to sell it. While there are a few of us that appreciate these land-yachts, it will never be as popular as a Camaro or Mustang, so your pool of potential buyers will be smaller. Also, with increased gas prices, running these gas-guzzlers becomes prohibitive for some.

If the car has been sitting for some time, have the brakes, wheel bearings, and everything rubber replaced before taking it on the road. I didn't, and my wife sailed right through a stop sign the first time she drove it. Luckily, there was no damage.

Please let us know if you end up buying it.
stexch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 03:43 PM   #8
Akira13126
AF Regular

I'm getting the car for $300. The engine turns over but doesn't start because there are no plug wires. The car in complete and comes with extra crome parts. The floor boards are rotted out in the back and a little in the front. This car is going to need alot of work, but alot of the work I can do at Wyotech Street Rod and Chassis class. How hard to it to convert the valves over??? I plan on doing all the work myself except for the paint job and rechroming.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:31 AM   #9
stexch
AF Newbie

The head work involves hardening the valve seats. It shouldn't be too expensive.

Also, be aware that the fan belt rotates opposite what most do, so anything that is belt-driven will have to be specific for reverse rotation.

If you're looking at doing a tune-up anyway, and aren't concerned about originality, you might go with an electronic ignition. While it will cost a little more, it will make it easier to diagnose any future problems that arise.

Is it a convertible or a sedan? If it's a convertible, you can at least triple the values I quoted you earlier.
stexch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 09:39 PM   #10
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Good posts from stexch.
I owned a '67 (which is very similar) for 13 years.
I like these cars, but you had better enjoy the work because you will put much more money into this than what its worth. (unless its a convertible)
But it will be fantastic when its done.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars