Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Spectra | Cerato | Forte | Mentor
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Spectra | Cerato | Forte | Mentor Couple 4 and 5 door models.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 12:17 PM   #1
beaman
AF Newbie

Unhappy change the spark plugs

Well, I got my kia spectra in Dec of 2000, never had any big trouble yet, and going on 90,000 miles. Time to change the spark plugs? But where are they? I know this sounds stupid, but I cant find them, and asked the fellow at the local parts store and he dont know either.....anyone got any help out there or direct me to the right place for information. Thanks, b
beaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 10:26 PM   #2
ppcholajr
AF Newbie

spark plugs

you find them yet?
ppcholajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 05:07 PM   #3
planojoe
AF Newbie

Re: change the spark plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaman
Well, I got my kia spectra in Dec of 2000, never had any big trouble yet, and going on 90,000 miles. Time to change the spark plugs? But where are they? I know this sounds stupid, but I cant find them, and asked the fellow at the local parts store and he dont know either.....anyone got any help out there or direct me to the right place for information. Thanks, b
Did you find the spark plugs yet? Where are they? I have a 2003 I can't find mine either. Thanks Joe
planojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 12:02 AM   #4
Wild1
AF Regular

They are located under the black cover on top of the engine. Remove the black cover (4 screws) and underneath you will see two coil packs. It is a waste-spark Mitsubishi system. I don't believe you need to remove the coils, just unplug the wires (carefully) and remove the plugs. When you replace the plugs, be sure to put a small dab of Anti-Sieze paste on the spark plug threads. Otherwise, as with any aluminum cylinder head, the plugs could tear the threads out of the head. If you don't have any anti-sieze, use a few dabs of oil from your dipstick onto the threads to keep them from sticking in the head.

Snug them in by hand, then when they are in... use the wrench for the final torque. If you use the wrench to put them in, unless you have a sensitive hand, you can over tighten them and tear out the threads (as with all aluminum cylinder heads).

If that doesn't help, I will try to send you a picture tomorrow.
Wild1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 09:01 AM   #5
Sionnach
AF Newbie

Hey, Wild1...

I have an Optima, not a Spectra. But I had a similar question, although mines a little more specific.

I had already pulled the cover on the top of the motor and found the plugs where I expected to find them.... the thing that baffles me is that I only found 2!!

Now... I'm pretty sure it's a standard inline 4 cylinder... it isn't opposing or anything. I saw the coil packs so I know that each plug runs from it's own coil. But where are the other two spark plugs??? Or did they somehow manage to fire two cylinders from one plug ?!?!?!?!!

To further confuse the heck out of me... I looked at a couple online auto parts stores and they list plugs for the motor and say it requires 4. OK... so where are the two I'm missing. Then I go and look at plug wire sets and it says "Spark Plug wire Set for 2001 Optima. Set of 2 wires." Well, which is it? How can you need two wires and require four plugs? Are there four plugs? I would think so, but then where are they hiding...

I'm just confused
Sionnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 02:48 AM   #6
Wild1
AF Regular

If you have the 4 cylinder (which is sounds like you do), you have 2 wires and 4 plugs. The coil has an extender that goes deep into the cylinder, the wire is attached to the side to fire the 2nd cylinder. This is what is known as the waste-spark system.

To change the plugs, remove the cover like you did previously. Next, separate the wire from the coil. Then lift the coil straight-up out of the engine... you will see one plug hidden under there. Lastly, remove the wire and you will see the other plug. Since you have two coils, you will have two hidden plugs, the other two are under the wires.

Since it is a deep drop to the plug hole, replace the plugs by putting a hose over the white part of the plug and gently drop them down into the plug hole. You can also tighten the plugs since the hose will probably have a snug fit.

Since you have aluminum heads, be sure to dab some oil from the dipstick onto the threads of the spark plugs... this will prevent them from sticking inside the head the next time you remove them which saves the threads from being torn out.

I hope this helps.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:09 AM   #7
Sionnach
AF Newbie

I never thought to look underneath the coil for additional plugs. Thats exactly it, though. Now it all makes sense.

Thanks for your help.
Sionnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 06:15 PM   #8
Wild1
AF Regular

You're welcome. Let me know how it turns out.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:13 AM   #9
crazydave1959
AF Newbie

Re: spark plugs

you will find the other to spark plugs under the coils just undo the screws on them and shack the out good luck and they all are under the black cover on top on thr intake hope this will help
crazydave1959 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Kia > Spectra | Cerato | Forte | Mentor