Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Jimmy
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 06:49 AM   #1
erryja
AF Newbie

2000 Jimmy won't start after new Cap & Rotor.

2000 GMC Jimmy with about 128000 miles with a EDI distributor system. Goal was to replace the original Distributor Cap & Rotor.

Here's what as happened & what I've done so far.
After I installed the new Cap & Rotor & tried to start the Jimmy and it would just turns over. As if the spark plugs were not getting spark.
All of the Spark plug wires are numbers & were placed back on the cap in the correct locations. I placed a new Coil wire on the coil & Cap to see if it would fix the problem. It did not.

I also checked the Coil itself. Using a new spark plug wire I hooked up a spark plug directly to the coil & placed it on a metal backet. I was able to verify spark when turning the ignition key. I also check the resistance of the Coil & it was within Spec to the Hayne Manual.

I also switched back to the old Distributor cap & rotor & it continues to not start up.

Next thing I will try is to visually see is if a spark plug connected to the distributor will spark.

I currently have the new Cap & Rotor back on the vehicle.
erryja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
erryja
AF Newbie

Re: 2000 Jimmy won't start after new Cap & Rotor.

So I pulled a spark plug wire off the no. 1 plug. I placed a extra spark plug into the boot an placed it next to a metal backet to hold it. I was expecting to Not see sparks but I was wrong. There was spark

So why after replacing the Cap & Rotor & getting spark at least at the no. 1 spark plug location would the car not start. It was running before I replaced the Cap & Rotor? I don't feel that I've done anything to change the timing.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
FishFind
One Hot Shot

Are you sure that you put the rotor on in the same direction as the old one came off. You may have it 180 degrees off. You would still get spark but it would be sparking on the exhaust stroke of the piston.
FishFind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
erryja
AF Newbie

The Rotor has Pins next to the Bolt holes that are not symmetrical so you cannot place it 180deg off.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
erryja
AF Newbie

Had a friend stop over who was a mechanic for a dealership. He sprayed thottle body fluid into the intake & we were able to get the car to fire up for a short period. So this tells me the Cap & rotor & wires are all good. He then checked the fuel pressure release valve an there was no pressure. So It appears to be a failed fuel pump. So I change the Distributor Cap & Rotor & the Fuel Pump fails. Now there's some bad timing (not the timing on the engine).
Old 07-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #6
erryja
AF Newbie

Is it possible that an error fault happened shutting down the Fuel pump. Should I check for error codes. Could there be one that specify Fuel Pump cutoff? Could clearing the Error code reset the fuel pump?
Old 07-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
FishFind
One Hot Shot

Do you see a security light that stays on when the key is in the on position?

Check fuses under hood and in cab. Pull the relay for the ac and swap it for the fuel pump. they are the same. Double check the plugs that go into and around the intake manifold.
FishFind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
erryja
AF Newbie

We had done just that we switched the relays in the fuse box in the Engine compartment. The Pump still did not work.

I've had the Jimmy towed to a garage. They were able to bang the gas tank & get the pump to start working again. But Were going to have it replaced anyways.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Jimmy