Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 07:23 AM   #1
E10ff
AF Newbie

99 Safari Cargo hesitation when wet

99 GMC Safari cargo van, 4.3L, 185K, I am having issues with hesitation on my van. It is usually when the motor is cold or warm and goes away after it gets hot. It happens at all speeds, and is worse when the air is humid. I have replaced the cap and rotor a few times, and each time it solves the problem. The question I have is what is causing the cap and rotor to go bad after just a couple months? I'm sure moisture is a factor, and I've tried the old hairspray trick. The first parts I bought were bargain parts, but the last time I spent the long dollar, no difference. Could a weak coil cause the cap and rotor to fail prematurely? Any advice would be great! Thanks
E10ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

Re: 99 Safari Cargo hesitation when wet

What brand cap and rotor are you using?
Did you put a dab of silicone dielectric grease on each terminal, (inside and out) of the cap?
Did you check the vents in the distributor housing and make sure they are clear?
Old 10-19-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
E10ff
AF Newbie

Thanks for the input. I used an AC Delco cap and rotor the last time. I did not put dieletric grease inside and out. I didn't know to use that on a cap, but I will. I also didn't check the vents, but will. Thanks again.
E10ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
old_master
Advisor/Moderator

GM issued a TSB addressing the vents and instructed to completely remove them. All they are is a screen about 1/4" in diameter and they just push out. The purpose of the vents is to keep the inside of the distributor from accumulating condensation on the under side of the cap.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:08 PM   #5
MrMack
AF Newbie

I must say that the AC Delco parts is true. I used a autozone part and truck started missing 2 days later and I could not figure out what the deal was until I ran across this forum and changed the parts with another autozone part and the missing dissapeared ...only to reappear two days later and went with ac delco and other problems.....I am Delco fan here as long as I own a chevy!
MrMack is offline   Reply With Quote