Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 04:27 PM   #1
CanadaBBC
AF Newbie

Question 1998 GMC Safari Won't Start Wet

My Safari just started NOT starting after it rains or in damp nights. Even after it starts (about 8 hours later or 4 on a sunny day) it sputters and spits for about the first 2 miles down the road.

It's the 3.8 vortex engine? I THINK.

Al
CanadaBBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:09 PM   #2
spike88
Banned

Re: 1998 GMC Safari Won't Start Wet

Your Safari van probably has a 4.3-Vortec V6 engine. This is standard engine size for the 98 Safaris / Astros.

As a suggestion, get your van going on a warm "dry" night. Let it warm up a little but not too much. In near darkness, take a garden hose with a sprinkler stream and spray it within the engine. Yes, while the engine is in a slow idle. If you can, start from the bottom of the engine and move this water spray upwards. Then, start on the other bottom side of the engine. When that's all done, spray down the top of the engine. Then, on the firewall components. With the engine running, you might be able to see little sparks. Or, the engine might start running rough - when that faulty part gets sprayed with water. Go slow with the garden hose fine spray and do keep an eye open for any minor sparks. If wondering, this is how my mechanic diagnosed a simular problem. Turned out to be a bad set of spark plug wires. Spraying water on the engine during a dark shop worked for him.

Hope this helps find your van's problem....

spike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 08:46 PM   #3
fuzzypuppy
AF Regular

Same basic test but I used an empty window cleaner spray bottle filled it with tap water, it's just a little easier and cleaner this way since all you need is a fine mist to dampen the area's in question.
Pull the doghouse override the interior lights so it's dark as possible around the engine compartment and mist around the distributor, coil, plug wires, coil wire, coil bracket. if any of these parts are leaking or "grounding" and faulty you should see little sparks. then you can go from there.
it seems to be a common problen with these vans and the problem area is usually found in this manor.
If you need anymore help post your results.
fuzzypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
skeds
AF Newbie

This issue had me tearing my hair out for 18 months. Replaced everything. Caps are known to short through their plastic casing. Aftermarket caps can be extremely bad. Make sure all wires are shielded as the doghouse will keep them very close to the engine and crossfiring will result.If you have a code reader look for misfiring codes etc and replace all these parts. Most importantly use rubber goop to seal the boot of the coil wire at the coil. It will short through the boot otherwise at the coil and you will burn out that coil. I virtually replaced everything and after shielding and sealing at the coil it was fine for a year. Then it re-occurred. I got fed up and gave it to my mechanic He changed the distributor and then a week later the coil issue resurfaced. I sealed that myself.( Im so fast at taking that doghouse off now it would make your head spin). Problem solved. So check those 3 first. Cap,shield wires with plastic sheathing, Seal coil wire at the boot. Best of luck! - Now starts in all weather.
skeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
recox286
AF Newbie

When it's time for a tune up, when choosing cap and rotor, pass up the cap that has aluminum posts in the towers in favor of those that have brass. You will pay a little more, but the brass will give much longer service. Ask the price at the counter, then say give me the best you've got. You won't regret it. The same applies to pretty much, if not all the ignition parts you will need.

Bob
recox286 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies