Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-01-2002, 11:55 PM   #1
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Send a message via ICQ to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via AIM to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via Yahoo to SilverY2KCivic
Kumho Ecsta 711's or Nankang NS1's...?

Well for those that weren't aware, I ordered a set of Konig "Helium" rims, and some Kumho Ecsta 711 tires to go with them. I ordered all this almost 3½ weeks ago. The wheels arrived to where I ordered them from 4 days after my order was placed, and I've been waiting on the tires ever since, as they are in real high demand right now due to a sale of $28/tire America's Tire Co. was running on them when I ordered them and the rims. So I go in today to see if the tires are here yet, as they are expecting them in finally this week. Turns out while the sales manager who sold them to me was gone this weekend (he's also a personal friend of mine, as we went to middle school together) so while he was off work this weekend, some moron that works there SOLD my rims to another customer. They put in an order for another set for me, but they won't be here till the 15th of this month. In the meantime, my friend told me they had some Nankang NS1's in stock that he could set aside for me in a locked place, and when the other tires come in this week, he'll set a set of those aside for me as well, and I can chose which set i want when the rims come in, he said that he'll give me the Nankangs for the same price as the Kumhos, so I wouldn't pay any more for them, and in fact for all my troubles he's even gonna knock $60 off the price of my order.

So my dilema now is, when the rims arrive, should I put the Kumho 711's on, or the Nankangs? He was telling me the Nankangs will grip better, but wear out faster, do the Kumho Ecsta 711's handle/grip pretty well too? Thanks for any suggestions.
All rights reserved... All BITERS served!

"The last time you had THIS much fun driving a car, it cost a quarter, and gyrated in front of the supermarket."

i have yet to see any well done imports around here. most are road toilets driven by some high school punk -Drift

hessemer69 on AIM
SilverY2KCivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 10:23 PM   #2
90CRXZCSi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to 90CRXZCSi Send a message via Yahoo to 90CRXZCSi
They are both about the same. My friend has Nankangs on his 93 Civic EX 4 door with 17" Niche rims and he's had them for a long time and no sign of alot of wear. Anyways...if they do wear fast then trade them in and have your friend set another 4 aside for you.
90CRXZCSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 04:34 PM   #3
drift
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to drift
the Nankangs should be fine for the street. i autocrossed mine and chewed them up in 2 months. their sidewalls seem to be much less rigid than most other tyres... but would result in a smoother feeling ride on the street.
drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 07:01 PM   #4
93Civicgurl
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to 93Civicgurl Send a message via Yahoo to 93Civicgurl
Thumbs up

I have 17 inch Kuhmos on Enkei rims on my Civic now. I just put them on about 2 weeks ago. Before them I had the others. But to be honest I already like my Kuhmos better because they handle somewhat better. :smoker2:

When I finally decide to get a camera out, and take some pictures of my car. I will post them on here.
93Civicgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 07:59 PM   #5
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Send a message via ICQ to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via AIM to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via Yahoo to SilverY2KCivic
Quote:
Originally posted by 93Civicgurl
I have 17 inch Kuhmos on Enkei rims on my Civic now. I just put them on about 2 weeks ago. Before them I had the others. But to be honest I already like my Kuhmos better because they handle somewhat better. :smoker2:

When I finally decide to get a camera out, and take some pictures of my car. I will post them on here.
Cool, which Kumhos do yo have? And get the camera out, I like seening pics of fixed up rides.

"The last time you had THIS much fun driving a car, it cost a quarter, and gyrated in front of the supermarket."

i have yet to see any well done imports around here. most are road toilets driven by some high school punk -Drift

hessemer69 on AIM
Old 04-03-2002, 08:01 PM   #6
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by drift
the Nankangs should be fine for the street. i autocrossed mine and chewed them up in 2 months. their sidewalls seem to be much less rigid than most other tyres... but would result in a smoother feeling ride on the street.
So I should just stick with the Kumhos 711's I orignally had on my order, then? Which between the 2 tires would provide better handling and grip?

hessemer69 on AIM