Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Regal
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 04:02 PM   #1
300C
AF Newbie

Car won't start all of a sudden... IGN fuse keeps blowing when trying to start

Ok well I bought a 90 buick regal limited last week. It was running perfectly. The car however was lacking a cd player so I installed one. I was working fast and when I was done connected the negative terminal, the cd player wasn't working, so instead of disconnecting the negative terminal from the battery and checking my work I forgot to and continued to work on it. Long story short, I ended up touching power and ground together and blew a fuse. The cd player works but the car won't start now. I put in a new battery and nothing, the alternator was changed a month ago. The car trys to turnover but the engine fails to connect it seems. The car started instantaneously before so I'm assuming something occured during my screw up. I don't know much about cars so any assistance would be great. I'm also in college so I can barely afford to pay the insurance and gas, nevermind taking it to a mechanic .

Last edited by 300C; 01-11-2006 at 10:48 PM.
300C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 06:14 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: Car won't start all of a sudden...

Check the master large fuses under the hood also.
maxwedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 06:22 PM   #3
300C
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Car won't start all of a sudden...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwedge
Great, thanks for the tip, I'm gonna go check that out right now.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:33 PM   #4
300C
AF Newbie

Quote:
Well the good news is I think you helped find the problem. I checked under the hood and there are 2 ign fuses. If you're standing perpendicular to the vehicle lengthwise, the fuse is the bottom right one. I replaced the fuse with a 10 amp just like the original one, I tried to jump the car and bam nothing. So I got out and checked the same fuse and it's blown again! I know absolutely nothing about cars so I'm not sure what to do now. Any ideas guys? Hopefully it's a quick solve so I can get to my classes tomorrow .
Old 01-12-2006, 04:26 PM   #5
300C
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Car won't start all of a sudden...

Still at a loss here guys, any ideas? I picked up a repair manual from my school library and checked the troubleshooting section but had no luck...
Old 01-13-2006, 01:57 AM   #6
dreager
AF Regular

backtrack and undo what you did....stereo u can live without
dreager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 04:57 PM   #7
300C
AF Newbie

I did that the same day it didn't start. First thing I did was disonnect cd player and take out the radio fuse just to be safe but nothing .
Old 01-13-2006, 07:42 PM   #8
dreager
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: Car won't start all of a sudden...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300C
I did that the same day it didn't start. First thing I did was disonnect cd player and take out the radio fuse just to be safe but nothing .
scan for codes. i believe its free at autozone or pepboys. check posts for same DIY, if u cant get to them. the "module" is under dash at ur right knee
dreager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 01:49 PM   #9
300C
AF Newbie

Checked everything I could. I'm beginning to thin kit's not a result of my installing the cd player. Nothing seems to add up here, I've checked everything. It just doesn't make sense. The fuse only blows when I try to start the vehicle. I can turn the ignition on and the fuse won't blow, however if I try to turn it over the fuse blows. I'm at a complete loss here guys, any ideas?
Old 01-15-2006, 03:31 PM   #10
maxwedge
A990 racer

You need a good wiring diagram to track down the circuit for that fuse, try autozone.com/repairinfo, you may well need to have a good mechanic get involved here, probably a pinched harness some where in that circuit. I believe that powers up the icm or the injectors, not sure myself. Just look around under the hood at the wires to the injectors and the harness to the ign module.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:28 PM   #11
300C
AF Newbie

Quote:
You need a good wiring diagram to track down the circuit for that fuse, try autozone.com/repairinfo, you may well need to have a good mechanic get involved here, probably a pinched harness some where in that circuit. I believe that powers up the icm or the injectors, not sure myself. Just look around under the hood at the wires to the injectors and the harness to the ign module.
Yeah I've tried a lot I still got nothing. I'm just confused on what to do. I may have to take the insurance off as I can't afford to pay a mechanic. I might be able to borrow money off my girlfriend when she gets her paycheque so that may work. I really hate to keep posting as I don't want to irritate anyone, nonetheless does anyone know for sure that it's a short in the fuse? I know I'm never supposed to replace the fuse with a higher amp fuse but I used a 25 and it still blew, which means there is way too much current coming through the ignition fuse. If anyone could help me out and let me know what to do I'd be very greatful I'll even pay what I can afford when I get my grant mid february for school . Thanks again for everyone's help.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:27 AM   #12
maxwedge
A990 racer

Was any work done recently like an intake repair or a trans replacement, a part of the harness could have been frayed or pinched in the process, but realistically someone has to look at this on site, no magic bullet here.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:28 PM   #13
300C
AF Newbie

Quote:
Was any work done recently like an intake repair or a trans replacement, a part of the harness could have been frayed or pinched in the process, but realistically someone has to look at this on site, no magic bullet here.
Alternator was replaced, I did it myself but only because it was very simple.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:07 AM   #14
arvin_m
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300C
Well the good news is I think you helped find the problem. I checked under the hood and there are 2 ign fuses. If you're standing perpendicular to the vehicle lengthwise, the fuse is the bottom right one. I replaced the fuse with a 10 amp just like the original one, I tried to jump the car and bam nothing. So I got out and checked the same fuse and it's blown again! I know absolutely nothing about cars so I'm not sure what to do now. Any ideas guys? Hopefully it's a quick solve so I can get to my classes tomorrow .
Looks like you have a short somewhere where you wired the CD. I would remove the CD and start cleaning up the wiring, because that is the last wiring change you made. You said the car was working before you put the CD in, so it points to the change you made. Are there any lose wires still touching to ground? What is the 10 amp fuse for any description on the fuse box? Are they what you describe as ignition fuses?
arvin_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:30 AM   #15
tomogchi
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to tomogchi Send a message via MSN to tomogchi

I believe those had the cube stereos, correct? i knwo my 91 did until i changed that. how did you go about reaplacing the stereo? and for $hits and giggles, did you try leaving the ignition on and jumping the starter solienoid to see if it will start that way? you could possibly figrue it out that way, with hopes of not poping a fuse. I dunno, just my 2 cents. (and by jumping the starter solienoid, you run a wire from the positive termnial to the starter solienoid)(that is dangourous, be careful)(forgive me if im not using the right name for it)
Bill
tomogchi is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Regal