Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 11:17 PM   #1
djAkira36
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to djAkira36 Send a message via Yahoo to djAkira36
Sick FWD drag Civic

http://www.jmwerks.com/gallery/CIVIC/CIVIC.html

I came across this guy on ebay of all places, all I can say is this is some hella sick shit........

SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING:
APC products may cause CANCER!!!!!
djAkira36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 11:40 PM   #2
turbos86
AF Enthusiast

Thumbs up

BOOKMARKED

Props to that dude. Just look at the headers on that thing.....

turbos86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 11:58 PM   #3
mentel
Racing Forum Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to mentel Send a message via AIM to mentel Send a message via MSN to mentel Send a message via Yahoo to mentel
LOL makes me think im lo oking at the car with an engine in it backward's,...........he should turn the interior around and kick ass in Reverse..........mbahahaa
mentel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 12:49 AM   #4
rcmaxx
AF Enthusiast

a wheelie bar on a front wheels drive car?
rcmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 04:38 AM   #5
flyonthewall
Car Mod guy

Send a message via ICQ to flyonthewall
Yeah man, what u said, hella...somethin'!!!!
flyonthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 11:27 AM   #6
djAkira36
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by rcmaxx
\

The purpose of those are to give enhanced traction to FWD cars by artificially lengthening the wheelbase....

Quote:
Originally posted by mentel
LOL makes me think im lo oking at the car with an engine in it backward's,...........he should turn the interior around and kick ass in Reverse..........mbahahaa
Haven't any of you heard of Import drag racing? I suggest you all locate your nearest newstand and copies of Superstreet, Turbo, or Sport Compact Car.......

Old 06-25-2002, 12:33 PM   #7
daggerlee
AF Fanatic

Quote:

All FWD drag cars I've seen need one, but I don't think it's called a wheelie bar or for the purpose of wheelieing...

daggerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 06:18 PM   #8
rcmaxx
AF Enthusiast

ahh, I think DJ got mad about our the comments......lol

so how does it "Artificially" lenghen the wheelbase? or is it one of those ricer things thats just for looks?
rcmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 07:09 PM   #9
bri g
AF Regular

wheelie bars

The problem with all drag cars is that when you take off, the front tends to lift up putting all the power to the rear wheels. For the old muscle cars and other rear wheel drive cars, this is good because all the weight of the car is on the rear wheels. For a front wheel drive car, this sucks because the the power is in the front wheels. The purpose of the wheelie bars is to keep more weight on the front wheels. When the car first takes off, the wheelie bar hits the ground first and prevents the front wheel from lifting up to transfer more power to the ground. Hope I explaind that right. That's a nice turbo and intercooler set up for the civic!
bri g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 01:26 AM   #10
siege35
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to siege35
Quote:

so how does it "Artificially" lenghen the wheelbase? or is it one of those ricer things thats just for looks?
Its definitely not a ricer mod...I've never seen this type of setup on the street, and I doubt the majority of street driven FWD turbo cars put down enough power to warrant its use. In terms of the "lengthening the wheelbase" I'm not very familiar with FWD setups, but it would make sense to use it to keep the front wheels planted by preventing the car's front end from lifting excessively and losing traction.
siege35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 07:06 AM   #11
djAkira36
AF Regular

Quote:

Im not mad, I just forgot that FWD drag racing is mostly a US thing.....

Anyway, They are actually referred to as traction bars and are strictly race only, the way they "artificially" lengthen the wheelbase is by being mounted offset from the rear wheels and taking on most of the rear weight, basically in this setup the rear wheels become "passengers" and no longer bear any weight, since the rear of the car is now supported by the traction bars, the distance between front and rear support(ie wheel base) has increased, there is now increased weight to the front wheels thus providing additional traction, especially during acceleration which causes the intertial weight to shift from the front wheels to the rear wheels, traction bars aslo prevent the weight from shifting........ On most FWD drag cars the bars automatically raise after about 120ft to reduce drag caused by the bars...

Old 06-27-2002, 11:52 AM   #12
mstngcobrasvt98
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to mstngcobrasvt98 Send a message via Yahoo to mstngcobrasvt98
Where did he get the cooler and turbo?
mstngcobrasvt98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 07:59 PM   #13
tenzoracerevovii
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by djAkira36

On most FWD drag cars the bars automatically raise after about 120ft to reduce drag caused by the bars...
i thought that was illegal? Because christian rado was the first FWD to put traction bars that raised up at midtrack to reduce drag (ed bergenholtz was the first to use traction bars and FWD alltogether).....they made him take that off because that was against the rules. Maybe they changed the rules now. I know they allow methanol for fuel for the quick class now. chris rado got kicked out of quick class for using methanol on his car which made him the first unibody fwd in the 8's......but jo jo callos is almost there......LONG BEACH represent!

Don't you know, it's 10 hp for every sticker, 50 hp extra for every additional inch of rear spoiler behond stock height.
-obiewancoyote
tenzoracerevovii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 07:29 AM   #14
djAkira36
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by mstngcobrasvt98
Where did he get the cooler and turbo?
I emailed the guy asking the same thing....
The intercooler is from another kit but the turbo was scratch built.......

Quote:
Originally posted by tenzoracerevovii

i thought that was illegal? Because christian rado was the first FWD to put traction bars that raised up at midtrack to reduce drag (ed bergenholtz was the first to use traction bars and FWD alltogether).....they made him take that off because that was against the rules. Maybe they changed the rules now. I know they allow methanol for fuel for the quick class now. chris rado got kicked out of quick class for using methanol on his car which made him the first unibody fwd in the 8's......but jo jo callos is almost there......LONG BEACH represent!
Finally, another Import head...... and well informed one at that.
As for as I know it's still illegal in the Quick class to have retractable traction bars, but not in Outlaw class which as anybody knows just about anything goes, but then again the only FWD's in Outlaw are Steph Papdakis and and Shaun Carlson.
I heard from a friend that works for JoTech(Kenny Tran's shop) that they wont be the only ones for long, Kenny Tran is supposedly working on a full-tubed chassis fwd and Viet Lam is gonna make his comeback with 2 cars, a tube-chassied FWD Civic and a RWD Acura Legend V6 powered Accord.... I cant wait to see Viet Lam's rides.
I think the most anticipated entrys into the Outlaw class gotta be Chris Rado's Celica and RJ DeVera's RSX(DC5 Integra for all those outside the US, lol) I see alot of Rado's guys here in Pitt at the street races but they act all hush hush and shit..... its not like his car is a big secret anymore..... go figure.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling