Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 01:23 AM   #1
triplerox
AF Regular

Roadster for Daily Driver

Which of these car model/year will be my best bet with a budget of around 8-10k. I've narrowed it down to the following:

BMW 3 Series
Mazda MX-5 Miata
Honda S2000
Toyota MR2 Spyder

I guess what's more important is which gen of those car models should i go for. I've heard of some dramatic changes especially to the MX-5 lately. Also, MR2 Spyder is no longer available in US if im correct..
triplerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 01:54 AM   #2
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587
Re: Roadster for Daily Driver

I'd go with a '99-'05 MX-5 Miata. The 3 Series is going to be too expensive to get a newer model convertible, the S2000 is going to be too expensive period (and it's not a great daily driver). The MR2 Spyder merits consideration, but the Miata's more friendly nature and much greater abundance make it a more practical choice.

My '05 Impreza 2.5 RS.
kman10587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 10:39 AM   #3
BP2K2Max
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to BP2K2Max

yeah, the s2000 is out based on price alone and like kman said it's not a good daily driver cuz it's got limited usable power. if by 3 series you mean the Z3 roadster, that's a good bet but it'll also probably be hard to get for your price range unless you go with like a 96-97 1.9L. if you can, i'd look into the 97 2.8L Z3 but it's probably gonna run more around $12K-$14K.
we still have the MR2 spyder but only as of the year 2000, the older mr2's aren't roadsters and the newer ones run like $12K-$14K.

i'm not a roadster kinda guy, but if it were me i'd go with a 99-00 miata, based on weight and power it seems like it'd be the quicker car of those listed. if you're willing to scrounge up another $2K-$3K i'd serioulsly consider the 6 cylinder Z3, with 190hp and 210 lbs of tq i'll bet that thing moves.
BP2K2Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 10:56 AM   #4
del
móddə rąytər

i'd go with the miata as well. the mr2 is as bland as most toyotas on the road. the bmw is costly to repair for a daily driver and the S2k, like someone said is pricey. for a daily driver, i'd certainly opt for something that requires 87 octane only with gas prices these days.
del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 03:28 PM   #5
ghetto7o2azn
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Roadster for Daily Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by del
the mr2 is as bland as most toyotas on the road.
just curious... have you even driven an mrs? as for figures, 138bhp & 125ft/lbs tq., .. not very impressive but its only 2200lbs and arguably one of the best handling cars on the road not only in its price range.. its pretty much a lotus elise with less power (people do put 2zz engines in the mrs... the swap is pretty basic because the engine pretty much bolts on)... i would not compare the corrolla, matrix, camry, etc. with the mrs... im sorry i dont think you know what ur talking about
ghetto7o2azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 04:06 PM   #6
del
móddə rąytər

Re: Re: Re: Roadster for Daily Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghetto7o2azn
just curious... have you even driven an mrs? as for figures, 138bhp & 125ft/lbs tq., .. not very impressive but its only 2200lbs and arguably one of the best handling cars on the road not only in its price range.. its pretty much a lotus elise with less power (people do put 2zz engines in the mrs... the swap is pretty basic because the engine pretty much bolts on)... i would not compare the corrolla, matrix, camry, etc. with the mrs... im sorry i dont think you know what ur talking about
don't even start talkin about modifying the cars. you're opening up a whole new discussion irrelevant to the topic. i have driven an mr-2 and i still stand by my original opinion on it compared to the other cars listed.
del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 04:17 PM   #7
triplerox
AF Regular

I have a cousin who owns an MR2, not a roadster though. I've driven it and it seemed pretty nice to me as far as handling and power on the street. I guess I will need to check out the miata as well. As for Z3, how is it compared to the 3 series?
Old 12-18-2005, 05:30 PM   #8
VAD0R
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to VAD0R Send a message via AIM to VAD0R

The 2nd generation MR2s might have not come standard with a drop top. But there were T-top models. But all in all the model roadster for price and handling is the Miata, even though the 2nd generation MR2 can beat it in acceration, its engine can be tuned to higher output levels (at least from what I know) and can come pretty close in handling. If you want a roadster that is really cheap you can always find a 1st generation MR2 convertable, Pontiac Fiero and even the Triuph TR6. Just be sure to check for rust (which for the Fiero can occur in the undercarrage) and the overal condition of the vehicle.

But, don't forget that a roadster doesn't have to be a convertible. Its purpose is being a car that is light in weight, has good performance and sacrifices practicality for it.
VAD0R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 08:05 PM   #9
triplerox
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAD0R
The 2nd generation MR2s might have not come standard with a drop top. But there were T-top models. But all in all the model roadster for price and handling is the Miata, even though the 2nd generation MR2 can beat it in acceration, its engine can be tuned to higher output levels (at least from what I know) and can come pretty close in handling. If you want a roadster that is really cheap you can always find a 1st generation MR2 convertable, Pontiac Fiero and even the Triuph TR6. Just be sure to check for rust (which for the Fiero can occur in the undercarrage) and the overal condition of the vehicle.

But, don't forget that a roadster doesn't have to be a convertible. Its purpose is being a car that is light in weight, has good performance and sacrifices practicality for it.
Are there any other models that you would recommend as well? I mean, those that aren't a convertible. Also, what did you mean by sacrificing practicality?
Old 12-18-2005, 09:36 PM   #10
VAD0R
AF Regular

Well, can a Miata seat four at all, can an MR2 fit 2 pieces of large luggage, excluding the aspect of tying the trunk down. Roadsters are pretty much made for two things racing or being a blast to drive in. If you didn't know that why else would you be wanting one?

Also, you want one which is less than $10k, so your going to be hard pressed to find a BMW 3 series (ecspecially Z3) or even an S2000 at that price. They seem to be $15k at lowest. About the only BMW you would find at that price would be either the 325is or a 1980s M3, which would be a blast if it was in decent condition, most people either drove the crap out of it or is a collector's car which means they will be charging $16k+ for it. That pretty much leaves you with the Miata or MR2. The only other cars I think of which you kind find in at least decent condition would be either a Pontiac Fiero since the body as well as some of the engine components are plastic and the Nissan 240sx or S4 since the earliest models are from 1989. There are other performance cars you can choose from, unfortunately in the US it is hard to find true roadsters.

If you like the convertibles such as the BMW 330CiC, you can always consider the 300zx convertible or t-top. Maybe even, dare I say, Camaro or Mustang convertible? If you are talking about performance cars, then there is a fare amount you can get for below $10k, but if you want a roadster or convertible that selection narrows down.

Happy hunting
Old 12-18-2005, 09:50 PM   #11
triplerox
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAD0R
Well, can a Miata seat four at all, can an MR2 fit 2 pieces of large luggage, excluding the aspect of tying the trunk down. Roadsters are pretty much made for two things racing or being a blast to drive in. If you didn't know that why else would you be wanting one?

Also, you want one which is less than $10k, so your going to be hard pressed to find a BMW 3 series (ecspecially Z3) or even an S2000 at that price. They seem to be $15k at lowest. About the only BMW you would find at that price would be either the 325is or a 1980s M3, which would be a blast if it was in decent condition, most people either drove the crap out of it or is a collector's car which means they will be charging $16k+ for it. That pretty much leaves you with the Miata or MR2. The only other cars I think of which you kind find in at least decent condition would be either a Pontiac Fiero since the body as well as some of the engine components are plastic and the Nissan 240sx or S4 since the earliest models are from 1989. There are other performance cars you can choose from, unfortunately in the US it is hard to find true roadsters.

If you like the convertibles such as the BMW 330CiC, you can always consider the 300zx convertible or t-top. Maybe even, dare I say, Camaro or Mustang convertible? If you are talking about performance cars, then there is a fare amount you can get for below $10k, but if you want a roadster or convertible that selection narrows down.

Happy hunting
Thanks for that piece of advice. Since I will be in college and all, i won't really be needing a lot of space, just want to have a blast when driving Although recently i was beganning to take an interest in the '02 wrx. But it's way past my budget and there's just something about its exterior that i don't like :/
Old 12-18-2005, 10:43 PM   #12
VAD0R
AF Regular

Let me guess, the bug eyes. If you want some consolidation just take a look at these pics with the JDM lense covers.

If you want cars that perform like or close to the WRX than I would recommend the 1990-94 Legacy GT which came with a 2.2l turbocharged engine, it maybe SOHC but people have tuned them up to 400hp. Or the 1989-93 Galant VR4, which was pretty much Mitsubishi's second homogenized rally car and sports the 4G engine that many have come to appretiate for its tunability.Another great perofance car you can get for a low price would be the 1st generation Eclipse GSX and Talon TSi, some mid 90s version of those models which are bound to be in bettercondition maybe even sold for below $10k now. There are also a number of FWD coupes you can choose from as well as the previous generation Civic Sis, but I don't think you would want those.

Then, if you don't care if your ride would be an SUV and an automatic there is the GMC Typhoon with AWD and can go 0-60 in 5.2 seconds as well as snatch a 1/4mile in the 13s. If you like a sportier looking AWD vehicle you can always look for a Celica AllTrac and tune it or just drop in a JDM GT4 motor later on.

There are also plenty of other choices for performance cars that you can find for surprisingly reasonable prices. But aside from the ones I listed above and in my previous post I can't think of any other cheap performance cars or ones that would require extensive tuning. Perhaps you can even find a BMW that is below $10k if you are lucky and look around.

Regardless, good luck with your search.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:58 PM   #13
kman10587
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to kman10587

If you don't need a lot of space and just wanna have a lot of fun driving, there is no better car in the world for you than an MX-5 Miata. Look for one now.

My '05 Impreza 2.5 RS.
kman10587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:22 AM   #14
ghetto7o2azn
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Roadster for Daily Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by del
don't even start talkin about modifying the cars. you're opening up a whole new discussion irrelevant to the topic. i have driven an mr-2 and i still stand by my original opinion on it compared to the other cars listed.
i never implied modifying the car... i only put in the engine swap info to show you how closely the mr2 and the elise are related... i never said.. "well if u swap in the engine for this much and then it beats all the other cars" because the car is fine as it is.. people see 140hp and say "oh that car is weak" and have no idea what they are talking about...

how can u say a cars boring without ever driving it? thats right, you cant... you think my post is irrellevent because i supposedly "talked about modifying cars" ... i say your post is irrelivent because you are stating opinions based on NOTHING... opinions based on past experiences or ones that are backed up by fact are helpful.. opinions based on grudges alone dont do any good
ghetto7o2azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 05:06 AM   #15
Right_LiRrr
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Right_LiRrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman10587
If you don't need a lot of space and just wanna have a lot of fun driving, there is no better car in the world for you than an MX-5 Miata. Look for one now.
I totally agree. If you just want to drive and that's it, you can't get past the MX-5. Not the quickest in a straight line, but that always gets boring quickly anyway.

I love the new ones. So friendly looking...just says to ya, hop in baby

Right_LiRrr is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons