Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 12:29 PM   #31
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: automaticly slow transmissions

[quote=freakonaleash1187]so we are calling the F1 transmissions automatics? i didn't know schumacher (sp) pulls a stick and puts it in drive and goes. not trying to be a dick, just trying to prove a point. transmissions in F1 aren't really fully automatic. they are the best of both worlds.

Gee, I pull my stick back and put my car in gear and it's a automatic. Now I can leave in in drive or flip a switch and guess what? I have total control over up and down shifting with 2 buttons on my steering wheel. So what I'm hearing Freak is my transmission isn't a automatic? Sorry mine and F1's are automatic, as is Lenco's, B&J's and Allison and the list goes on.
Zgringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 01:10 PM   #32
1viadrft
AF Fanatic

Re: automaticly slow transmissions

I wish I could afford a LENCO....

My 1994 TT Supra For Sale: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=623105
1viadrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 02:14 PM   #33
Hodo
AF Enthusiast

technically they are semi-automatic. Or sequintial trannys. They have the internals of a manual, but a electric soliniods that shift the shift fork from gear to gear. But for the most part they are automatics. Subaru is doing that now with some of the ATs, and along with Ferrari, Lamborgini, and Mercadees, just to name a few.
Hodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 02:39 PM   #34
1viadrft
AF Fanatic

Manu-matics... they say it's the new way of all automobiles... almost all the major companies are already dabbling in this new type of transmission...

My 1994 TT Supra For Sale: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=623105
Old 10-14-2004, 02:54 PM   #35
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to DeleriousZ

isn't that called Tiptronic?
ZedEx Crew Member #6
1988 300zx turbo 5spd. 3" mandrel exhaust, filter, afco rad, e-fan, poly engine mounts, mbc at 8.5 psi, turboxs rfl-h bov, gutted plenum, etc.

blown turbo, under construction.. gt35 coming.
DeleriousZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 03:15 PM   #36
musicsurfman
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to musicsurfman Send a message via MSN to musicsurfman

Tiptronic Is A Brand...
Just Like Sport Shift.

The Worlds Fastest Enigne Powered Vehicle (not Jet Powered) Has A Powerglide In It Yes A 2 Speed Automatic. This Two Speed Automatic Has A Manual Valvebody And Pressure Regualtor (foot Pedal Like Clutch).

F1 Cars Are Computer Controlled Automatic Transmissions That Have Fully Manual Valvebodies For Locked Gears Only Shifted By Input (meaning Button Push).

Some Wrc Cars Still Have Manual Transmissions For Strength... But The Fastest Have Manual/automatics.

Manuals And Auto Matics Have There Ups And Downs, Pros And Cons.... But Automatics Can Be Setup To Be Faster And With The New Continously Variable Transmissions Hitting The Market Gears Are A Thing Of The Past.... Soon It'll Be Computer Controlled Scenario Ratios.... This Means It'll Be One Continously Changing Rate That'll Take You From 0-to Your Phsyics Limited Top Speed At A Faster Rate Than Locked Gears.

EMAIL CONTACT:
PROJECTRB240SX@HOTMAIL.COM
musicsurfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 04:14 PM   #37
1viadrft
AF Fanatic

Yuh... have you heard of the new SKYLINE/G35 Sedan (JDM version only so far) that has a 12-speed manu-matic? Crazy stuff...

Old 10-14-2004, 06:14 PM   #38
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakonaleash1187 Send a message via MSN to freakonaleash1187
Re: Re: Re: automaticly slow transmissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1viadrft
Calling me out? LoL Oh I forgot you are still into that hi-school shit... Well, maybe you should get your FACTS straight before flappin' your muck-mouth. Your comments are biased and uneducated and you have no-way to back them up! Let the big boys talk and maybe you can learn something?
what the hell did you say? you are on my shit list now, prick.

-Jared

ZedEx Crew Member #2
freakonaleash1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 06:32 PM   #39
1viadrft
AF Fanatic

Don't get your panties all-up in a wad...

Old 10-14-2004, 07:01 PM   #40
freakonaleash1187
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to freakonaleash1187 Send a message via MSN to freakonaleash1187

wtf, usually when somebody responds to personal attacks that they didn't like (which i did), most people just leave it alone and don't come back with smart ass responses. but w/e, i am just a young punk kid that doesn't know anything

-Jared

ZedEx Crew Member #2
freakonaleash1187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 09:06 PM   #41
longlivetheZ
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to longlivetheZ Send a message via MSN to longlivetheZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxdriver99
I dont mean to sound like an ass but I'm terribley confuzzled(and ilerate, sorry) I read about a couple of "enthusiasts" with auto maticly slow n/a z31s. now..... why someone would "buy" an automatic for ANY other reason than a long, slow comute in traffic(ie. L.A., Chicago) is beond me.
BUT why the HELL buy an automatic N/A 300 with the intention of making it fast?????????? again I dont want or intend to be a prick but the auto an d manual 300's are worth almost the same why not sell the pussy auto, kick in a few bucks and find a 5 spd. then do the throttlebody mod, iridium plugs, 8mm wires and "cone filter" and you will smoke almost all the ricerds and wannabe's on the way home from work. most of this statement is irrelevent if its your mom's car, your girlfriends car, or have no balls of your own
With all due respect, you have some learning to do.

First off, iridium plugs and wires aren't going to get you any more horsepower.

Second off, an automatic trans will shift faster and WAY more consistantly than ANY human would have ANY hope of EVER doing with a manual if the auto is properly built.

Go to SGPRacing.com and go the the "customer's rides"...or something to that effect...section. Look for Kyle's Z32TT on there. Notice that it has a full factory interior, weighs in the realm of 3400lbs (meaning it hasn't been stripped or really had much of ANYTHING taken out of it for the sake of weight), and is...running...an...auto trans...talk to HIM (he can be found ot the Z32.com forum) if you want more details.

All in all...for the strip, an auto really IS the way to go.

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Benjamin Franklin
longlivetheZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 09:36 PM   #42
longlivetheZ
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to longlivetheZ Send a message via MSN to longlivetheZ
Re: Re: Re: automaticly slow transmissions

Didn't read this whole thread before I posted. I didn't want to. Would have taken too long and I could have said what I wanted to say without reading all of it. However, after posting, I couldn't help but read this...

[quote=Zgringo]
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakonaleash1187
so we are calling the F1 transmissions automatics? i didn't know schumacher (sp) pulls a stick and puts it in drive and goes. not trying to be a dick, just trying to prove a point. transmissions in F1 aren't really fully automatic. they are the best of both worlds.
Then I read this by our little poluter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsomethingoranother
Tiptronic Is A Brand...
Just Like Sport Shift.
No, this is the specific name of a system developed by Porsche...a "brand" I guess...not really the right word, but ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsomethingoranother
F1 Cars Are Computer Controlled Automatic Transmissions That Have Fully Manual Valvebodies For Locked Gears Only Shifted By Input (meaning Button Push).

Some Wrc Cars Still Have Manual Transmissions For Strength... But The Fastest Have Manual/automatics.
This type of trans is called a sequential transmission. BMW uses a form of it called the SMG (no, not a Sub Machine Gun, either...) which stands for Sequential Manual Gearbox. Many of the WRC guys, the F1 guys and the Ferrari guys (mack daddy's) have damn near mastered this. It will shift faster (we're talking "Commando style shifts", as put by Motor Trend) than any human POSSIBLY could with a manual. FRACTIONS of a second from one gear to another. Read an article about it a while back and it was AMAZING. Watch the WRC guys sometime. Sure, it's a bunch of WRX's, Focus', and other cars we don't particurlarly care about, but I think it's some of the best racing out there. If NOTHING else at all, it's fun to watch. Anyway...next time you watch them on the in car cam, watch how fast the gears change when they tug on that little arcade-game-like knob they have. It's AMAZING. Damn near INSTANT.

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Benjamin Franklin
longlivetheZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 09:39 PM   #43
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

.02 seconds to be exact.. i'm not one for names but when it comes to numbers i'll remember the most stupid little detail
ZedEx Crew Member #6
1988 300zx turbo 5spd. 3" mandrel exhaust, filter, afco rad, e-fan, poly engine mounts, mbc at 8.5 psi, turboxs rfl-h bov, gutted plenum, etc.

Old 10-15-2004, 01:04 AM   #44
Zgringo
AF Fanatic

LLZ If i can find the boxes my iridium's came in I think it said you gain 5-7HP by installing them. When I find the boxes I'll write all it says on the box.
Today I saw the cleanest 1987 Z31T, and I waited almost a hour just to talk to the owner, but they never showed up. It was gold and really clean. Wish I had my camera with me.
Zgringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 01:51 AM   #45
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

oh and i agree with you freak.. that was a little harsh there 1via
ZedEx Crew Member #6

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)