Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Mustang > Mustang Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Mustang Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
timjackie2001
AF Newbie

Unhappy 95 GT erradic idle/tranny problem?

I have a stock 5.0 automatic. Last weekend we replaced the plugs later the idle went nuts and it started dying. We replaced the wires and it doesn't die, but the cel came on.It was the tps. Got that changed and the idle is alot better, but not quite right and most of the power is back, but now it wont shift. AT ALL. Even if you shift it manually. Any suggestions? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!! I NEED MY CAR BACK BAD!!

Update 11/26/2010
I've gone through everything I can think of and now I have it to where if the tranny is cold it will shift. It shifts late and a little hard, but it does shift. Once the tranny and engine warm up though it stops shifting again. I changed the fluid and filter, still the same thing. Starting to think its the belts. If the guy at the parts house sold me the wrong tps, would that cause my problem? Just found out there are 2 sensors listed for my car and I got the wrong one.

Last edited by timjackie2001; 11-26-2010 at 09:57 PM.
timjackie2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:22 PM   #2
dorfboy
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to dorfboy Send a message via Yahoo to dorfboy
Re: 95 GT erradic idle/tranny problem?

I am not sure if this year had one. But the car may be in what is called a "limp" mode. To clear this, disconnect both the negative and positive cables on the battery for about thirty seconds. This should clear everything and you should have normal function of the vehicle. If your TPS went out, this can cause problems with the transmission shifting and what not.
dorfboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
timjackie2001
AF Newbie

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention before that when we were looking into the original problem of the idle, we blew the fuse for the EEC. Got that replaced, but I can't get it to give me anymore codes. engine light is still on, I've disconnedcted the battery and tried to run a scanner and voltmeter with no success. On the OBDI scanner the light just stays on, never blinks, and the voltmeter reads a steady 12-14 volts.

I have now changed the TPS, the IAC, and the vehicle speed sensor, also cleaned the throttle body and the EGR. My car is starting to run better, but it still won't shift. I tried to check the cats and O2 sensors, but , it turns out that there aren't any cats. I don't really think the O2 sensors would make it not shift, and I've never had any problems out of the tranny before. Is there some vacuum or modulator valve for the tranny that I'm not seeing? This is becoming a major head-bangging session.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:25 AM   #4
4x4 blazerguy
AF Regular

You have to of blown a fuse or shorted out a sensor or something like that.
4x4 blazerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:06 AM   #5
timjackie2001
AF Newbie

Finally got it to a tranny shop, and im told there's nothing wrong there. I bought a new PCM for it and I can tell a diference in the way it runs. It still doesnt run right, but it is definately changed. The cel now flashes off sporadically, seems like the computer is trying to give codes(just can't read decipher them cuz it's makin the needle jump everywhere). IDK, may i have a short in the harness? Guess I'll be tryin that next weekend.