Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
OneInNorCal
AF Newbie

Which to Sell or Keep: 96 Chevy S10 PU / 90 Honda Civ Hatchback?

Sell 96 Chevy S10 PU & fix 90 Honda Civ Hatchback?

Should I Sell my Chevy S10 PU with (small leaks in Camper Shell, power steering, and functioning AC) and then Use the $ to Replace Engine in 90 Honda to get it running again?

I have a 1990 Honda Civic Hatchback base model that has been sitting in my driveway for the last 9 months.
I believe it needs engine replaced based on:
-210,000 miles {Yeah!) on engine AND
-Oil has leaked from engine block ever since crappy valve repair job 5 years ago AND
-Wont pass smog AND
-Over past year it began running rough, some smoke out exhaust and gas mileage was steadily declining. Quizzically, started running terribly terribly rough ever since I took possession of it after it's latest smog check (no repairs just a check which it failed) here in Calif.

I bought it new in 1990 and other than replacing cap and rotor every 2 years and the interior heater fan currently does not work, it has had no problems and no accidents.

When Honda failed smog 9 mos ago, my awesome boyfriend bought me a 1996 Chevy S10 PU w/slightly leaky camper shell for $2500.

The previous owner of the $2500 Chevy S10 (a friend of boyfriend) provided the receipts for the following work done on it 4-years ago:
-Engine - replaced with a 1996 recon Vege engine which now has 70k on it. (the vehicle itself has 170,000 miles per odometer) and replaced the following at that same time:
- Clutch
- Water Pump
- Fuel Injector
- Starter
- Heater Core
- An electric switch and wires and a radiator hose.

I so so so miss driving my Honda: the handling, great mpg (33mpg at top-it's a v4) and passenger seating for 4.

The Chevy S10 is cramped, is sluggish (v4), and gets a lowly 14mpg but I do like that it has: ability to transport large items in the bed, AC, a camper shell, two cell phone charger outlets, and power steering.

Soooo, HERE'S MY QUESTION:
1. Would it be advisable to sell the Chevy PU (purchased for $2500 & needs tires. The KBB is $2500 to $3500) and use proceeds to get Honda running? And if so, what are best quality sources for buying engine for my 90 Honda?

2. Are there any other considerations that I need to contemplate before moving forward with my decision?

Thank you, I look forward to your insights & enjoy your day!

Last edited by OneInNorCal; 03-15-2012 at 01:24 PM. Reason: post poll
OneInNorCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:33 AM   #2
offroad
AF Newbie

Re: Which to Sell or Keep: 96 Chevy S10 PU / 90 Honda Civ Hatchback?

i would sell the honda so ur bf doesnt get offended. lol.
Mods: TRD Supercharger, 3" lift, Custom straight cat exhaust, K&N cold air intake, Air suspension, Double Din DVD & Nav system, Bull bar, Angel headlights, Weather Tech Extreme Duty floor mats, performance clutch, drill slotted ceramic brakes, carbon fiber hood, All Terrain 33" wheels, custom HD Alpine rims, solid front axle

= OFF-ROAD BEAST

Also drives: 2010 Acura MDX SH- AWD Turbocharged
2007 Audi RS4
offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:57 AM   #3
Jamesfranklin
Banned

Re: Which to Sell or Keep: 96 Chevy S10 PU / 90 Honda Civ Hatchback?

Both of these two cars are excellent and choosing one of them is really tough. In fact, if you ask me, its not possible to decide which one is better and which one is not, as both of them have their respective pros and cons and are useful depending upon what kind of use you want to make with them. But still, if you have to choose one, I would suggest you to go with Honda civ.
Jamesfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote