Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 09:13 AM   #1
sreilly77
AF Enthusiast

AFM & Throttle Response - Tuner??

Has anyone had experience with tuning their trucks to deactivate the AFM and increase throttle response? I can't stand the AFM on my 2016 5.3, especially while towing.

But my BIGGEST issue is throttle response. If I need to go WOT due to an emergency situation, or increasing throttle going up a hill, there is almost a 1/2 second delay before the engine responds. Hell, my '86 Thunderbird has better throttle response with a throttle cable setup, and that's only a measly V6!!

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am happy with the power this truck has. I just want to do away with the AFM, and get better throttle response. Thanks!

Last edited by sreilly77; 08-23-2018 at 07:38 AM.
sreilly77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:45 AM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: AFM & Throttle Response - Tuner??

You can deactivate cylinder shut down, but the only way to truly (and properly) get rid of it is a replacement cam and lifters. DBW throttle lag is somethimg many people just learn to live with though I am sure there is something you might be able to do to help.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:46 PM   #3
j cAT
AF Fanatic

[quote=sreilly77;7212262]
Has anyone had experience with tuning their trucks to deactivate the AFM and increase throttle response? I can't stand the AFM on my 2016 5.3, especially while towing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am happy with the power this truck has. I just want to do away with the AFM, and get better throttle response. Thanks!
[quote]
*************** This is what to use .. reason they use it is because these AFM engines will fail with out this device.. plug and play.. then If you bring to dealership for some stuff un plug it .. also if you trade it in plug it in the other AFM GM truck or you can sell it on EBAY.https://rangetechnology.com/afm-disabler/
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:12 AM   #4
sreilly77
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthee View Post
You can deactivate cylinder shut down, but the only way to truly (and properly) get rid of it is a replacement cam and lifters. DBW throttle lag is somethimg many people just learn to live with though I am sure there is something you might be able to do to help.
Thanks, Stealthee. I'm not having oil burning issues as of yet, but I know it's inevitable based on the horror stories I hear and see. Just trying to be proactive so I don't fall into these same issues.

By the way, nice Stealth!
Old 08-20-2018, 07:13 AM   #5
sreilly77
AF Enthusiast

[quote=j cAT;7212335][quote=sreilly77;7212262]

Quote:
*************** This is what to use .. reason they use it is because these AFM engines will fail with out this device.. plug and play.. then If you bring to dealership for some stuff un plug it .. also if you trade it in plug it in the other AFM GM truck or you can sell it on EBAY.https://rangetechnology.com/afm-disabler/
Thanks, j_Cat. Yeah, I've seen too many horror stories regarding the AFM. I'm not having the burning oil issue yet. However, it does seem to interfere while towing, and can cause a big BANG when downshifting uphill if its still in V4. I'm all about being preventative, and I need this truck to run over 250,000 miles like my last one did.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:00 AM   #6
j cAT
AF Fanatic

$200 for this AFM killer is expensive since that is all it does but better than a $7K engine replacement .many buy these day one not after it begins to do the oil burn then cam fail..
Old 08-23-2018, 07:38 AM   #7
sreilly77
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post
$200 for this AFM killer is expensive since that is all it does but better than a $7K engine replacement .many buy these day one not after it begins to do the oil burn then cam fail..
Exactly. Thanks again!
Old 09-07-2018, 08:05 AM   #8
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreilly77 View Post
Exactly. Thanks again!
did you get the AFM widget ? cheap insurance

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado