Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-08-2002, 12:12 AM   #1
vtecattack
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to vtecattack
squeeling throwout bearing!!

Has anyone heard of the throw out bearing going bad quicker on performance clutches?? Mine squeels when I let off the clutch especially in first gear...unless I pop it!! Its kind of embarrassing because it sounds like I am trying to spin the tires when Im not. It is a Clutch Specialties, I believe it is compared to a Clutchmaster stage 3? Thnks for any input.
vtecattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 01:59 AM   #2
pvang31019
AF Enthusiast

did you replace the bearing when you replaced the clutch?
pvang31019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 10:59 AM   #3
j.fuggi
AF Enthusiast

is it sort of a grinding noise?

» Supercharged 2006 Honda Civic Si Coupe
» Info | Teaser Video | Dyno Video | Dyno Graph
j.fuggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 02:37 PM   #4
vtecattack
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to vtecattack
squeeling...

Yes I did replace the throwout bearing, no its not really a grinding noise, just a squeel, kind of sounds like you chirped the tires. Thanks.
vtecattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 05:04 PM   #5
j.fuggi
AF Enthusiast

ohh. my mainshaft bearing went.. and all i heard was the sound of the balls rolling freely. sounded horrible. like a light grinding. while i had the tranny out, i replaced a few bearings and the throwout bearing and had some other things sealed and whatnot, but for a few days after i finished the job, i'd get a real lous grindy sort of noise, maybe a chirp cant tell if i punched the gas... the wheels wouldn't spin and it'd just make a horrid stupid noise.

Old 01-08-2002, 05:05 PM   #6
5_LiTeR_EaTeR
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 5_LiTeR_EaTeR
It could possibly be your belt. ever try unloading it 4th? My car will hit 2nd and 3rd but if I try it in 4th it squeaks the belt!!
5_LiTeR_EaTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 05:09 PM   #7
j.fuggi
AF Enthusiast

unloading? do you mean trying to chirp tires? i've gone threw 1st 2nd and 3rd before... never tryed 4th.. my car just bogs if i do from flooring it i think. i doubt i can even do 3rd anymore. hell 2nd prolly wont do it either

Old 01-08-2002, 08:38 PM   #8
5_LiTeR_EaTeR
AF Enthusiast

LoL! its pretty easy to hit 2nd in almost any car thats a stick... you just got to have cordination =) Open your hood and push on your belts, like your alternator belt or AC if equipped with such. But if your main shaft bearing did go and you did replace some bearings then I will probably think it has something to deal with that. I will really check into it before I start to pull the damn Tranny out though. But if you get it checked out... TIME TO PULL THE BASTARD BACK OUT!! Hell lets even throw in a Aluminum Flywheel it in! What you could have also is a glazed clutch my friend. Same theory behind brakes. If its "Glazed" then during clutch engagment your clutch will actually squeak. Its usually glazed because you are riding your clutch and not letting it fully engage... or something I just thought of.... You may have you pedal out of adjustment. I don't really know... I can't really tell you... Thats what I THINK it may be and the POSSIBILITIES... All I can say is good luck!
Old 01-08-2002, 08:46 PM   #9
j.fuggi
AF Enthusiast

ahh! ok.. well my pedal does seem a little stupid. when i put the new clutch in (before i got my licence) it caught 1cm off the floor.. like rediculous! but after learning on my poor stage 4 clutch, and probably countless -- how do i put it -- mis shifts, like, dropping the clutch too fast to get into 3rd or something maybe riding it out a little sometimes.. but it hasn't squealed lately.

Old 01-08-2002, 08:47 PM   #10
j.fuggi
AF Enthusiast

and what is the PROPER way to hit 2nd with a stage 4 ? my friend said you DONT drop them.

Old 01-08-2002, 09:14 PM   #11
5_LiTeR_EaTeR
AF Enthusiast

Well that depends on what you are doing. If you are racing the best way to do it is get first put the clutch down while letting off the gas and slam into second and hit the gas and dump the clutch.... do it all fast. Best way to practice is to have the car turned off and dry shift. Other strategies, what most people like to do, is hold the gas to the floor all the time and just work on the clutch while shifting through gears. This way you are able to put power to the ground without wasteing time of pressing the gas to the floor again but it doesn't matter if you are skilled enough like me and can do it all really fast=) If you are just street driving its just like usual... Ride the clutch through then fully engage. You get a better take off without the chatter... But being stage 4 its pretty hard to not have clutch chatter. how bad is it? There really is no proper way to shift into second... its just the matter of getting use to the clutch as is.
Old 01-08-2002, 09:33 PM   #12
j.fuggi
AF Enthusiast

the chatter is pretty bad at times.. other times not noticable.. as for 2nd i meant how do you slam second. as in.. chirping the tires. i did this once and it worked great but i forget how i did it. one time i really hit 2nd HARD when i was racing an OLDER maxima.. (not the maxima from my other post) and i slammed 2nd so hard, my cd skipped and i thought my car was going to break and stop running. but i won..

Old 01-08-2002, 10:07 PM   #13
5_LiTeR_EaTeR
AF Enthusiast

The best way to hit second is hold your gas to the floor then depress the clutch at the same time shifting and right when you get into gear dump that clutch. You really shouldn't slam gears... I don't personally. I get better response and results when you flick it into gear. Hold the knob with your palm from the top and throw your whole arm forward while flicking your hand back. Sorta like a gay guy waving his hand and saying "ohh stop it silly!" Just try not to look gay when shifting..... I find it that when your grip the knob like a gun it makes your arm fatigue. Just try not to look gay doing the wave....
Old 01-08-2002, 10:15 PM   #14
j.fuggi
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by 5_LiTeR_EaTeR
The best way to hit second is hold your gas to the floor then depress the clutch at the same time shifting and right when you get into gear dump that clutch. You really shouldn't slam gears... I don't personally. I get better response and results when you flick it into gear. Hold the knob with your palm from the top and throw your whole arm forward while flicking your hand back. Sorta like a gay guy waving his hand and saying "ohh stop it silly!" Just try not to look gay when shifting..... I find it that when your grip the knob like a gun it makes your arm fatigue. Just try not to look gay doing the wave....
good idea.. thats how i usually get into 4th.

heh.. for 1st i hold it liek a gun
2nd i have the center of my palm on the center of the knob
3rd i usually push it with my palm
4th i do the little gay wave sometimes.. usually just flip it down
5th i hold same as 2nd.

this is just driving everyday... not racing. and i dont recommend it. but i'm gonna try your technique.

i dont slam often... the time i chirped 3rd.. it was amazing because i didnt try and i didnt ecpect it. i was just giving my friend a ride in the school parking lot. got a lot of wows from the crowd of kids around. ah.. i love having the only hooked up import at my school. (well i'm one of like 4) and 2 of them are fully RICED out and one of them is straight. no one mods at my school like i do though. i love the feeling

Old 01-08-2002, 10:38 PM   #15
5_LiTeR_EaTeR
AF Enthusiast

Lmao! You should come to my school. There are no Imports. This is Michigan.... Detroit is where the V8 oringinated so its harder for us to earn respect. There are only 3 imports here. A black Civic... stock with just rims Intake and corvette (Don't ask me) exhaust, a Eclipse spider with Altezzas and exhaust and my car =) 90 CRX B16a powered! AEM Intake, Dc headers, Tanabe exhaust. I drive without a valid license.... and I got caught. A cop almost ran into me because he had his headlights off so I got off because my boss at the garage I work at knows too many damn people in Michigan. I have it in my shop right now being prepped for yellow paint and decals. I don't know what it is but people will even say my car is sweet and bad ass when its half red and primered WW body kit, primered high spoiler with Altezza's, a black hood and a primered fender. I am the fastest car in the lot right now. The only thing that can keep up with me is a 2001 Trans AM. Pics will come after I get it painted!! I can't believe I still am able to get my license.... Try the new method. Just jump in your car and dry power shift. You will love the way you will take off in second!!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical