Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Achieva
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 06:52 AM   #1
PV THOMPSON
AF Newbie

97 Olds Achieva starts but shuts down after 2 seconds

Good afternoon. I have a 1997 Olds that starts up but then shuts down right away. I did have to replace the ignition switch and have done all the checks I could without getting it to a repair shop. The fuses are good. I check fuel flow and there is some during the first few seconds the ignition switch is turned on. It does not apear the fuel continues at startup. Does anyone have mechanical experience with this type of problem?
Thanks. Paul.
PV THOMPSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 11:30 AM   #2
PV THOMPSON
AF Newbie

Re: 97 Olds Achieva starts but shuts down after 2 seconds

This site was helpful. I saw a lot of info on the security system for the Achieva and one said to place the key in and turn to the first position. The security warning was flashing on and off. I waited for the 15 minutes and still the same. I continued to wait and right at 20 minutes the system reset with the security light solid and beeping gone. The car started right up and I drove all over today with it. Hope this helps others with the same problem.
PV Thompson
PV THOMPSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:45 PM   #3
randy78
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to randy78 Send a message via Skype™ to randy78
Re: 97 Olds Achieva starts but shuts down after 2 seconds

Quote:
Originally Posted by PV THOMPSON
This site was helpful. I saw a lot of info on the security system for the Achieva and one said to place the key in and turn to the first position. The security warning was flashing on and off. I waited for the 15 minutes and still the same. I continued to wait and right at 20 minutes the system reset with the security light solid and beeping gone. The car started right up and I drove all over today with it. Hope this helps others with the same problem.
PV Thompson
yeah... this worked for us for about two weeks almost,

then it started doing it again but this time it would not stay running at all ever no matter what i tried,

so i removed the stupid IPC again and i sent it to Southern Electronics in VA and they just told us that its repaired now and that the reason the car was starting and dying immediately and having glitchesin all the lights and guages was due to back back board of the IPC needing rebuilt,

220 bucks including shipping and its done and i just reinstalled it tonight and their instructions they sent along with the IPC say to try to start it and if it dies then leave the key on for 10 minutes then try to start it again

will find out in the morning how it goes! i have the key in my pocket and its staying there til the morning so that no one screws with the car before i get back to it, it is over at the garage sitting in there still

hopefully i will be driving the car all over town again finally, and for good this time

good luck
-'54 F100 302 C-6 -'57 F100 -'57 Bel Air HT 307 4spd '57 210 HT 4dr 265 3spd -'68 corvair monza convertible w/ PG -'79 C-20 -'80 K-20 -'82 K-10 SS -'82 TRANS AM WS7 HT 5.0L TH350 2400 stall blue/blue level III PMD cloth PG hood -'85 Elky SS 310ci 2004r fully restored 2008 -'88 buick century estate wagon 3800 4t40e, 91 s-10 2wd 4.3L, 96 taurus, '97 cavalier RS 2.2L, 5sd -'05 18ft car trailer, 98 achieva, 98 cherokee,

Last edited by randy78; 11-27-2006 at 11:16 PM.
randy78 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Achieva