Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 01:36 PM   #1
cfcrules
AF Regular

Question Alclad 2 Prismatic

Hi, i was helping my bro spray his mustang in alclad 2 prismatic paint, i reached the point where i need to clearcoat, what type do you reccomend, as on their website they say to clearcoat but aren't specific about the type to use. For the undercoat, i used tamiya british racing green, was matallic not the right choice
cfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 01:50 PM   #2
DukeMan
AF Enthusiast

Hey I did the exact same thing for a friend on his Mercedes! He also lay down the base coat with Tamiya Racing green, then I sprayed it with Alclad prismatic green to blue. After I did that he clear-coated it with a Humbrol clear I belive, it didīnt turn out super-smooth but it was still very good. I think you should use Tamiya x-22 if you want to be sure that nothing can happen to the alclad paint (specially since it isīnt very cheap). It may be a problem to get it really smooth at first, but some 2000p sanding and some rubbing and itīll be a real eye-catcher!

Current Projects:
-ī70 Camaro Z28 (Baldwin Motion hood wanted!!!)
-ī32 Ford Roadster (on hold)

ī69 Camaro thread
DukeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 01:52 PM   #3
cfcrules
AF Regular

Cheers. I've had that problem with humbrol clearcoat as well I think they make it a bit thicker than other companies
cfcrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 01:55 PM   #4
DukeMan
AF Enthusiast

Ah well, Iīm just glad I could help. I guess more thinner could the solution to the problem then?
Good luck either way you decide on doing it!

Current Projects:

ī69 Camaro thread
Old 02-14-2005, 01:58 PM   #5
malsheem
20 inches and growing ...

Do you guys have any pics of those paint jobs? Alclad recommends a gloss black basecoat before any prismatic paint is applied. This goes in line with other color-changing paints, like HOK chameleon and Gunze Mr. Color Mazoora, both of which require black basecoats as well. Just curious to see what results other basecoats yield.

As for clearcoat, I will be using Gunze Super Clear (my standard clearcoat) over my Alclad Scarabeus over Alclad Gloss black.

CWest R34 Skyline GT-R
malsheem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 02:17 PM   #6
DukeMan
AF Enthusiast

Re: Alclad 2 Prismatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by malsheem
Do you guys have any pics of those paint jobs? Alclad recommends a gloss black basecoat before any prismatic paint is applied. This goes in line with other color-changing paints, like HOK chameleon and Gunze Mr. Color Mazoora, both of which require black basecoats as well. Just curious to see what results other basecoats yield.

As for clearcoat, I will be using Gunze Super Clear (my standard clearcoat) over my Alclad Scarabeus over Alclad Gloss black.
Thatīs exactly what I was telling him too, but it was his model so... He wanted the green to really come through, and it did. Plus, on that bottle it said something like this: "can be applied over any dark lacquer or Tamiya TS paint". As for pictures you may already have seen it In a previous thread showing pictures from CCM open here in Sweden. If you didīnt here are some more (now the finish could be a lot better if he just agreed on polishing it up a bit but then again, itīs his model):

Hope this helps!

Current Projects:

ī69 Camaro thread
Old 02-14-2005, 02:30 PM   #7
malsheem
20 inches and growing ...

Thanks for the pics. The color-shifting doesn't seem as noticeable under that basecoat. Seems more like a pearl coat than color-shift, though that could be just the pics as it's hard to photograph the effect properly.

CWest R34 Skyline GT-R
malsheem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 02:31 PM   #8
Ferrari TR
Not A Hoarder!

Send a message via AIM to Ferrari TR
A black base gives the strongest color change. Whatever base color you use will be the color the paint appears to be in the 'neutral' state between color changes. Just think of the color changing paint as a clear coat that shifts from one color to neutral to another color.
I like a medium silver base for most of the FNP stuff that I do, the car appears to be just silver untill you move!
Ferrari TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 03:09 PM   #9
tonioseven
AF Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to tonioseven

I've used Tamiya, Duplicolor, Plastikote, and Testors all with good results.
tonioseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 08:54 PM   #10
Okiemodelbuilder
AF Regular

Here are some samples of the Alclad prismatic colors that the owner of my LHS sprayed over black Testors prepainted models.
Scarabus green to blue:

Maple copper red to green:

Jade green to gold:

Sapphire deep blue to UV purple. This is a Revell '56 Chevy with a Tamiya TS gloss black base:

These are cleared with 2 part urethane clear. I would use Tamiya TS-13 clear. These give a pretty good idea of the color change properties. These paints are hard to photograph.

Marc

...the pro touring experts
Okiemodelbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 09:19 PM   #11
Vric
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Vric Send a message via MSN to Vric Send a message via Yahoo to Vric

Alclad 2 is Lacquer, so use Lacquer Clear (Tamiya or other) Humbrol is enamel I think
Vric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 03:51 AM   #12
DukeMan
AF Enthusiast

My god those colors are truly awesome! My LHS only has the green to blue in stock but lately he asked me if I wanted him to order some of the other colors too. I wasīnt sure because I had no idea what they looked like, now that I do, oh man, well letīs just say that my super-detailed Mustang project might get a touch of sapphire blue

Current Projects:

ī69 Camaro thread
Old 02-15-2005, 07:02 AM   #13
proosen
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMan
My god those colors are truly awesome! My LHS only has the green to blue in stock but lately he asked me if I wanted him to order some of the other colors too. I wasīnt sure because I had no idea what they looked like, now that I do, oh man, well letīs just say that my super-detailed Mustang project might get a touch of sapphire blue
Please tell Mr. Rebell that I'm intrested to in more of these colours, I got the Scarabeus green to blue when we first met at the shop. Still haven't used it, got to get me some inspiration for my '49 merc leadsled wreck that I have laying around in bits and pieces. Maybe a slammer would be nice for a change, fast enough to put together

See ya!
Niclas
proosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 07:23 AM   #14
Lurchio
AF Enthusiast

Cheers guys, I've just bought the sapphire to UV and wasn't sure of the best application (still waiting for my Alclad glss black - out of stock at MOM).
Looks stunning on the 56 chevy!
Will certainly have some fun with that now!
Lurchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 08:08 AM   #15
p9o1r1sche

Here's a Porsche 928 with the sapphire blue to UV prismatic paint. Unfortunately, I dont remember what clear coat I used. I really like the deep blue highlights and black shadows.

p9o1r1sche is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling