Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 04:20 AM   #241
mateo71859
AF Newbie

Re: Codes 171 & 174 TSB # 03-16-1 update

where do i fint the tech service bullitin
mateo71859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #242
mark_gober
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo71859 View Post
where do i fint the tech service bullitin
Everything you need to know...including a copy of the TSB is located here.....http://leckemby.net/windstar/windstar01.html

Good luck.
mark_gober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:01 PM   #243
pcitizen
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to pcitizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo71859 View Post
what does this mean
If you are getting 171 and 174 codes you have a lean (too much air) or (too little fuel) getting into the combustion chambers. O2 sensors can cause engines to run rough and disconnecting them sometimes causes the engine to smooth out. Since it didn't I suspect something else is wrong. Since 171 and 174 codes have a TSB I'd start there. It's relatively cheap and easy to do.

If you are not comfortable with making the repair take it to Ford and let them fix it.
pcitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:25 PM   #244
blackbetty2
AF Newbie

This site is excellent. the advise shared here has saved so much $ for those who have been fortunate enough to have come across this thread.
Here is my question.
Has anyone had an oil leak problem as a result of the gaskets in question? I have the codes and no doubt have oil built up in the plenum. I get oil pooled up on the exterior of the engine, right on the aluminum intake. (only on the left side). I know there is no oil channels running through the intake manifold. My only guess is the oil is building up in the plenum, working its way through the bad isolator bolts and then working its way to the lower end of the intake. Any suggestions? I will try and get pics if it helps to clarify.
blackbetty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:45 PM   #245
pcitizen
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to pcitizen

I have not seen this but my experience with the problem comes from one source - quite limited. Perhaps others have seen oil build up too.

One of the things about this problem is that oil is pulled into the PVC and connecting tube. I have seen oil dripping from the fittings on each end on my Windstar prior to the fix.

If you determine the problem and it is related to this TSB and your pictures are good I will modify the site and add your pictures (with your permission) if you provide editorial comment.

Pcitizen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbetty2 View Post
This site is excellent. the advise shared here has saved so much $ for those who have been fortunate enough to have come across this thread.
Here is my question.
Has anyone had an oil leak problem as a result of the gaskets in question? I have the codes and no doubt have oil built up in the plenum. I get oil pooled up on the exterior of the engine, right on the aluminum intake. (only on the left side). I know there is no oil channels running through the intake manifold. My only guess is the oil is building up in the plenum, working its way through the bad isolator bolts and then working its way to the lower end of the intake. Any suggestions? I will try and get pics if it helps to clarify.
pcitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:35 AM   #246
blackbetty2
AF Newbie

Sorry for the long post but i want to share the info for future readers. I ended up getting the repair kit from NAPA for $108 (dealer wanted well over $200) which included all the isolator bolts (green), gaskets, valve cover, PCV, small vacuum line, and the throttle body gaskets. Parts were made in China but prior posts suggest they are just as good. I'll let you know if they fail early. Did the job last night in exactly 2.5 hours which included removing the cowl (worth the extra step as you can access the rear bolts easier, and ensure all vacuum lines and electrical connectors are connected before start up). Its too bad i didnt see this thread earlier as i had the cowl off about 3 months ago when i did plugs/wires.
This job was really easy, but i have had my share of back yard fixes so i kind-of knew what i was getting myself into.
Here is what i found. As i said in my first post, i was getting oil all over the place as well as the 171/174 codes. I couldnt tell where the oil was coming from so i knew i would have to tear it down to get a better view. The oil was coming from the failed isolator bolts. It was leaking past the posts and down to the center of the lower intake manifold. After i took the Plenum off, the top of the aluminum manifold had oil all over it. I couldnt see it with the Plenum on, only a little puddle in a depression on the front of the manifold. Inside the plenum, i saw just what everyone else has run into, lots of oil that got sucked in via the PCV. I think the longest part of the job was cleaning up the plenum and removing carbon and gum from the throttle body. I used MEK (methyl Ethal Ketone) to clean the contacts where the gaskets meet the intake. MEK is excellent at breaking down oil residue and gum. It flashes off quickly so there is no concern with damage to the gaskets. After it flashes (drys) just go back over the cleaned surface with a clean rag to ensure the residue is fully removed. The valve cover is a piece of cake, 5 bolts, be careful, they are small and overtightening can lead to a bigger fix than you planned for. Finger tighten, then use a wrench but only until you get solid resistance. Better to have a leak than a broken bolt in the head. you can always go back and tighten if it leaks, not as easy if you break one off. The new valve cover was not painted so i took the step to prime and paint before install. I didnt attach photos as the pics in the guide shown earlier in the thread were spot on. (cudos to the author).
After the job it started right up without issue. I ran around town for about an hour and so far (fingers crossed) no codes and no oil leaking.

As far as peoples question if you can drive with the codes, i have had these codes for almost 3 years. It drove fine over that time and the light was more annoying than anthing. Mechanics that have worked on it in the past had no idea of this problem so i didnt get any guidance until i saw this thread. Mechs told me to run it, if it didnt seem to affect the performance. I wasnt getting any surging, sputtering etc. I must have gotten lucky, or perhaps i will have to replace the cat because of it?? Who knows at this point. but it does appear to run just fine.

thanks to all of you who have put your advice in this thread. It saved me a lot of $ and i think it was the fix my van needed. I only wish the members in my fishing forum were as willing to share their secrets
blackbetty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:28 PM   #247
veerg
AF Newbie

I also bought the kit. It was $79+ shipping from Boston. It was made in China. It has been 18 mths. No problem so far.
veerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 02:29 PM   #248
GillBilly1
AF Newbie

I have changed the port seal, isolater bolts, cleaned the EGR ports, new plus and wires, air filter and I am still pulling a 171 (Fuel trim bank one condition) Any suggestions on where to go from here ? Thanks in advance for any help.....
GillBilly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:44 PM   #249
derffred
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillBilly1 View Post
I have changed the port seal, isolater bolts, cleaned the EGR ports, new plus and wires, air filter and I am still pulling a 171 (Fuel trim bank one condition) Any suggestions on where to go from here ? Thanks in advance for any help.....
I no longer have my Windstar any more, but you need to make sure that you do not have any vacuum leaks check all hoses and tubes.

also it could be a bad fuel injector, they are quite easy to take out, and just give them a good cleaning.

Go back through all of my posts in this thread I tried a lot of things before I finaly solved it.

Owner of a 98 Ford Windstar
and a 01 PT Cruiser
derffred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:46 PM   #250
stanHetrick
AF Newbie

I have 2000 Windstar and 171&174 codes.
Problem is it stalled in the street. After tow home and battery charge, it doesn't turn over. Just clicks.
Would these codes by themselves cause a stall and simulate a starter problem???
stanHetrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:03 AM   #251
Newheart111704
AF Newbie

Hello, it doesn't sound like thats what coused it, it should still be running even with codes, you might have other problems.
Newheart111704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 01:10 AM   #252
mateo71859
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by derffred View Post
I no longer have my Windstar any more, but you need to make sure that you do not have any vacuum leaks check all hoses and tubes.

also it could be a bad fuel injector, they are quite easy to take out, and just give them a good cleaning.

Go back through all of my posts in this thread I tried a lot of things before I finaly solved it.

174 is a lean code could be oxy censors but the ecm tends to hang on to codes even after you clear them. take some seafoam put it in the gas tank to clean the injectors then put in a half a quart of tranny flud in the take to keep your injectors working properly. Something else i learned if you look at the speeddometer and it shows 35 mph but you know you are doing 65 and you have an abs light on your dash check if the abs sensor is front left or right fix it ti will fix you problem. i learn the front abs is connected to the speedometer in the ecm check your speed sensor from the tranny to ecm it most likly will be correct. its the strangest thing i ever saw and annoying.
mateo71859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:17 PM   #253
thecardoctor
AF Newbie

windstar 2002
I got the new kit, and I put it in the vehicle and use it for a couple trips and there they are those pesky po171 and 174 again any suggestions ("never mind")

Last edited by thecardoctor; 10-10-2010 at 12:57 PM.
thecardoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:26 AM   #254
marlonn
AF Newbie

Where did you bougth the kit? there is a website to buy from?
marlonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:42 AM   #255
thecardoctor
AF Newbie

i got from (rockauto.com)
thecardoctor is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar