Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 02:30 PM   #31
ivanwhite
AF Newbie

Re: 2003 GC SE Overhead Console Installation

[quote=tlbrewer] I still have a question about the temp sensor though. I got one from dodgeparts, but where does it go and how would I wire it up? /QUOTE]

Me too! Everything works but the temp sensor. I wired in the overhead harness from the passenger door piller and bought the sensor. I know where the sensor mounts in front of the AC condensor. But I've looked at the wire harnesses by the front wheel (that's where the sensor wires come from on an 2003 OEM console) and not ony is there no wires/connector to this area, there are no violet/light green or violet brown wires in the harness (I stripped off the tape). I also looked in the body control module in front of the IPM, and no wires of that color there either. While I can wires 2 wires into the #9 and 18 pin holes with a lot of difficulty, I don't know if they'll communicate with the IPM ot the overhead display.

Other than that, I'm delighted with the overhead console. But continuing to look at th -40 degrees display, along witth the compass display, is getting a little old. Anyone done the temp sensor connection sucessfully? Would love to know how you did it! Mine is a 2001 SE. THANKS!
ivanwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 11:20 PM   #32
Roche
AF Newbie

Hey njcbaumann,
Where did you get your OTIS and how much was it??
Also do you still have the service manual on the cd??
Roche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 10:41 PM   #33
ivanwhite
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 2003 GC SE Overhead Console Installation

Well, getting no replies, I figured it out myself. Here's how to get the ambient temp sensor to work: There's no wires in the harness, so you have to fabricate it yourself. I went to Radio Shack and bought some cripping clips to pick up the two leads from the temp sensor. To connect them to the IPM, you remove the battery. This allows you to flip over the IPM, after inserting a screwdriver in the right side (facing it). Next you pull out the first plug out which has a 20 wire capacity (actually around 17 plugged in). Pin numbers 9 and 18 are empty and you need to get some female connectors form Radio Shack again fo these 2 pins. Crimp them closed, insert through the plug so they're lined up with the pins properly, and push the plug back in. Carefully wrap the 2 new wires around the wires harness going into the plug inself to keep them from moving whiole running thewire to the temp sensor. Now run the wires down and through the bottom of the grill, plug them into the sensor, and secure the ambient temp sensor with a bolt and nut through the center hole in the bottom of the grill fascia. Use some electrical tape and/or plastic conduit to secure the wires to other harnesses in the area. Connect the battery up and guess what? You now have a functioning ambient temp sensor! So nice to get rid of the minus 40 degree reading before the hook-up! Best of luck to you. Not a hard job at all!
The Following User Says Thank You to ivanwhite For This Useful Post:
Alphabravo (06-15-2011)
Old 04-06-2004, 09:44 PM   #34
tlbrewer
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: 2003 GC SE Overhead Console Installation

Ivan,

Hope that you can help me. I started to mount my temp sensor, but am confused by the pin numbers that I am seeing on the har. In my harness, it looks like I have 9 and 19 open. Could you take a look at this pic and let me know what you think. Does the count go from the 1st row to the 3rd. Thanks. Oh, btw mine is a 2003 grand caravan se.http://us.f1f.yahoofs.com/bc/3fa7f65...gw2cAB8wuniXIu
tlbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 09:50 PM   #35
ivanwhite
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2003 GC SE Overhead Console Installation

This looks like the plug off the front control module. The plug you are looking for is on the bottom of the fuse box. Have you flipped over the fuse box? I only remember 3 rows in the CI harness and it is in the front of the reverse side of the "fuse box" which is the IPM.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:18 AM   #36
tlbrewer
AF Newbie

Ivan, You are exactly right. I am going to attempt the install this weekend. Thanks.
tlbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 07:38 PM   #37
cherga
AF Newbie

I have a 2000 Caravan and I just got an overhead console from ebay out of the same vehicle. Does anyone have any insight as to what to expect on a 2000 as opposed to the 2003 being dicussed in this thread?

The console I got from ebay comes with all wiring and the temp sensor. I am clueless as to how to interface the console to my vehicle. Should the wiring be there already and "plug and pray"? Any help is appreciated...

Thanks!
cherga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 08:19 PM   #38
mnwalleye
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherga
I have a 2000 Caravan and I just got an overhead console from ebay out of the same vehicle. Does anyone have any insight as to what to expect on a 2000 as opposed to the 2003 being dicussed in this thread?

The console I got from ebay comes with all wiring and the temp sensor. I am clueless as to how to interface the console to my vehicle. Should the wiring be there already and "plug and pray"? Any help is appreciated...

Thanks!
Cherga, before I even bought my overhead, I remove the old one to see if it had the wire and plug all ready to go(removed one phillips screw and released the little locking tab to drop), it did so I bought the overhead for $50.00, plugged it in and it worked right from the start. Finally got around to picking up the ambient temp sensor from local Dodge dealer, part# 4685605, cost $20.45 and plugged it into an exsisting plug in front of the lower radiator just behind the plastic grill, and it also works. I'm not good at trying to figure what wires you need to tap into but others have done and should be a good source of information to you. Mine is a 98 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport so it must've bee all pre-wired at the factory to start off with.

Good luck, these are nice to have, I use mine constantly to check milage.

MN Walleye
mnwalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 09:11 AM   #39
cherga
AF Newbie

Wiring 2000 Caravan

Does anyone know the wiring for a 2000 Caravan for the overhead console? I have the harness with 6 wires in it...anyone know which wire goes where?

Thanks
cherga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 07:32 PM   #40
caravanbob
AF Newbie

I've got a 2001 GC Sport that has the "basic" console (temp and compass). I'd like to install the console with the fuel consumption, etc. If I find one of these at a junkyard, will it be a direct plug-in?
Thanks!
caravanbob is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager