Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Primera | G20 > General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
General news, articles, other.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-04-2001, 08:26 AM   #61
zykotik
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to zykotik Send a message via AIM to zykotik Send a message via Yahoo to zykotik
George you the man! A bunch of us on the npclub.com board were doing our homeowrk to get a group buy on DET's happening...Now we pretty much know where we're going. Looks like Montreal will have a fleet of DET powered Nissans and 1 incredible G20.
Old 11-04-2001, 10:47 AM   #62
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
It is a very good article, Ijust picked it up yesterday. Its amazing what 6 psi will do
Old 11-05-2001, 09:50 AM   #63
howard_w13
AF Enthusiast

A must read!!!!

Very thorough, detailed and informative. P10DET made sure that the article covered every base involved in the process. Even if you never plan on doing an engine swap, the article still has tons of useful stuff that applies to most p10 owners. Damn good job, P10DET!!!

howard_w13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 06:27 PM   #64
p_r_i_m_e_r_a
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to p_r_i_m_e_r_a
Big Props

Awsome article and nice pictures George! One question though, I noticed that no aftermarket motor mounts were mentioned. Will the stock mounts keep the DET from running away?

Damian Stevens
94 Black Widow P10
p_r_i_m_e_r_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 08:43 PM   #65
P10DET
AF Enthusiast

Re: Big Props

Quote:
Originally posted by p_r_i_m_e_r_a
Awsome article and nice pictures George! One question though, I noticed that no aftermarket motor mounts were mentioned. Will the stock mounts keep the DET from running away?
Thanks for the kind words.

No aftermarket mounts in the car. In fact the ones I am using have 50k miles on them. I have no interest in stiff engine mounts in this car. I am trying to keep it quite civil. My goals have been a car with the feel of a good European tuner car. That means no vibrations in the cabin due to hard engine mounts.

They work just fine for me, but then I'm not at all hard on the drivetrain. Don't mistake that for a granny driver, but I'm sensitive to the machine and don't abuse it. They would not be what you wantn for a serioius drag or track car, but I'm not interested in driving a boy-racer on the street.

BTW, I'm really close to my goal for it. The coilovers are surprisingly smooth - only the worst bumps are really hard, and that's due to bottoming. If I can raise the front about 0.125 - 0.250" and/or get some Truechoice bumpstops on it, it should be really sweet. I get a bit more squeaking in the coachwork, but I should be able to hunt that down and stop it. I need to do something about swaybars. I've got a few things in mind.

00 328i
91 SE-R (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and filled him with a great resolve"

-- Admiral Yamamoto, December 7, 1941
P10DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 01:52 PM   #66
howard_w13
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Big Props

Quote:
Originally posted by P10DET

Thanks for the kind words.

No aftermarket mounts in the car. In fact the ones I am using have 50k miles on them. I have no interest in stiff engine mounts in this car. I am trying to keep it quite civil. My goals have been a car with the feel of a good European tuner car. That means no vibrations in the cabin due to hard engine mounts.

They work just fine for me, but then I'm not at all hard on the drivetrain. Don't mistake that for a granny driver, but I'm sensitive to the machine and don't abuse it. They would not be what you wantn for a serioius drag or track car, but I'm not interested in driving a boy-racer on the street.

BTW, I'm really close to my goal for it. The coilovers are surprisingly smooth - only the worst bumps are really hard, and that's due to bottoming. If I can raise the front about 0.125 - 0.250" and/or get some Truechoice bumpstops on it, it should be really sweet. I get a bit more squeaking in the coachwork, but I should be able to hunt that down and stop it. I need to do something about swaybars. I've got a few things in mind.
I didn't understand what you did to the exhaust. What exactly did you change?

:coolguy: :coolguy:
howard_w13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 07:35 PM   #67
P10DET
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Big Props

Quote:
Originally posted by howard_w13
I didn't understand what you did to the exhaust. What exactly did you change?
Nothing. Right now it's stock. I did have to fabricate a downpipe from the turbo to the cat.

00 328i
91 SE-R (well modded)

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and filled him with a great resolve"

Old 11-07-2001, 11:52 AM   #68
greekman
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Big Props

Quote:
Originally posted by P10DET

Nothing. Right now it's stock. I did have to fabricate a downpipe from the turbo to the cat.
aren't you going to get the remus rear section and get a custom mandrel bend cat-muffler (when of course you find somebody that does mandrel bends)?

Life is like a shit sandwich. The more bread you have, the less shit you taste. So go out and get your bread!
greekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 02:34 PM   #69
AznVirus
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to AznVirus
wow its only running 6 psi? is there any chance of overheating? man i cant wait til i get my P11 and my DET but probably not for a long time

got my copy today thanks for the great write up george... now, just to get a P11.

Last edited by AznVirus; 11-07-2001 at 04:58 PM.
AznVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 05:45 PM   #70
P10DET
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Big Props

Quote:
Originally posted by greekman
aren't you going to get the remus rear section and get a custom mandrel bend cat-muffler (when of course you find somebody that does mandrel bends)?
I do indeed plan to buy a Remus 2.5" dual outlet universal muffler and probably a Magnaflow resonator. I will be building the exhaust myself using mandrel U bends that are readily available. I'll have to borrow, rent, or buy a welder now. I borrowed a welder to tack the pipes for the IC and had someone else make the full weld.

00 328i
91 SE-R (well modded)

Old 11-23-2001, 11:22 AM   #71
spnx
AF Regular

Wouldn't 3" be better matched to a turbo application?
spnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2001, 11:24 AM   #72
P10DET
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by spnx
Wouldn't 3" be better matched to a turbo application?
If your goal is maximum power, yes. That's not my goal. I want my car to be very quiet with good flow. I'm willing to give up a few hp for a car that is extremely easy to live with as a daily driver.

James, I thought you knew that.

00 328i
91 SE-R (well modded)

Old 11-26-2001, 07:22 AM   #73
spnx
AF Regular

I didn't think that 3" would increase noise that much more though? However, I have to admit that I'm unfamiliar with turbo applications.
spnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 10:16 AM   #74
str8maxn
AF Enthusiast

P10DET

Very sweet setup.. Just wondering if you could provide a $$$$ amount on the cost. I would really like know how much $$$$ was involved. So I can start saving up.......

Juan

:bandit:
str8maxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 02:05 PM   #75
G22DET
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to G22DET Send a message via AIM to G22DET
$4k to $6k

GDA Power!
G22DET is offline   Reply With Quote