Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 02:12 PM   #1
ivory01
AF Newbie

95 Silhouette OBD1/SEL ?

Hi: Olds Sil van 1995, built on 12/94. Have a 12 pos OBD1(rectangular) connector. This link shows the pin config: http://www.freeautomechanic.com/diag...blecodes5.html
Link shows pin A to B for code info. My prob is that my 12 pos connector has pins/wires in pos A, J and L only. How do I extract the codes? I tried pin A to pin J..no flashing and pin A to pin L..no flashing. Am I restricted to a scan tool($$)?
Also could use help in Prgming the door locks/FOB.
Thanks, Bob
ivory01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

Re: 95 Silhouette OBD1/SEL ?

Any local Auto parts store should pull codes for free.
If not Auto Zone will read codes for free, but not clear code.
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:34 PM   #3
ivory01
AF Newbie

I tried the local auto store..Autozone, too. They will not pull the code for a OBD1 protocol plug. The OBD1 scanners have pin readouts that look at pin A and B that I don't have.
I have read that there is a OBD1.5 that I may be caught into.
Thx, Bob
Old 01-15-2010, 08:07 AM   #4
dewaynep
AF Regular

OBD 1.5 has the OBD II trapezoidal style (OBDII style) connector. Are you sure you are looking at the connector in the correct orientation? Is there a loose wire hanging from behind the aldl connector? Did you try shorting A to B with a paperclip even though it looks like there isn't a connector there?
dewaynep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
ivory01
AF Newbie

Hi: Well, I guess I have the OBD1...rectangular 12 pin. Yes, took the connector off the dash to look for loose wires, etc. Found all intact. Looked for extra wires while down there..no luck. No, did not try to short the grnd(A) to the open slot(B). Sort of non productive, eh?
I have ordered a set of OEM manuals in hard copy that I will refer to within a week. Just cannot understand how in the world anyone could fix a SEL with this setup. THX. Bob
Old 01-18-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
Jrs3800
AF Enthusiast

I will guess you have a 3800 V6?

1993 was the last year for most all GM's to have the diagnostic flash feature... You do not have the diagnostic pin in the ALDL...

Advance and or Autozone will not be bale to read the 94-95 3800... You need a Scan Tool capable of reading the 94-95 GM's

for 94-95 3800 Vans GM used the 12 Pin OBD1 connector, For the 3800 H and C bodies for 94-95 GM used the 16 Pin OBD2 connector... The 3800 vans and C&H cars all used the same PCM...
Jrs3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:18 PM   #7
ivory01
AF Newbie

Hi: Thx for the info. Yes, 3800 eng. So, I need a scan tool. I have looked at the scan tools at autozone and Checker. They are called OBDI, but it looks like this tool uses the pin next to the grnd. However, I can always buy and return if the tool doesn't work, eh? Should I request a special scan tool or will a std OBDI tool work? Hmm, your post says one that reads GM for that year. I ask at the store.
Thx, Bob
Old 01-22-2010, 09:59 AM   #8
ivory01
AF Newbie

HI: Well, here is the problem...I can't find on the I net or Autozone or Checker a suitable OBDI readout tool for the '95 3800 engine Silouhette. Could use some help on locating this tool. Dealer has his GM Tech1 tool at $100.00 for a readout. This is not the plan. HA! Every one of the tools I have found do not support the 95 GM model I have(as well as others). Any suggestions from anyone would be appreciated.
Once I get my shop manuals(3 days?) I plan on finding the "Diag Req" 5 v DC line(loc B on the old OBDI connector) and shorting it to ECM grnd(Loc A). I may be in some sort of 'do-do' if I don't use a resistor of some value? Any Ideas? This is turing out to be some sort of SANFU. HA!
THX, Bob
Old 01-22-2010, 04:00 PM   #9
ivory01
AF Newbie

I have the answer. Not cheap, but THE answer. ACTRON sells a GM OBDI cable for a few of their upper end scanner devices. This cable is marked (GM CP 9127). Under the FAQ's of their website, ACTRON offers this cable http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16188
and the scanners that match it for OBDI codes/ cable matching pins.
SO, about $180.00 for both depending where you buy. I tried the loaner tools at Autozone, but the loaners do not cover this more expensive device. Autozone had all these parts in stock, but NO ONE had a clue when I stopped in to ask these Q. Go figure. So, if you have on of these 94 or 95 GM vehicles that do not have the B pin in the OBDI connector...you now have the answer. EOJ...Bob
Old 01-27-2010, 11:06 AM   #10
ivory01
AF Newbie

HI: Received my factory shop manuals(3). The emission section mentions the B loc for pulling the codes, but dot not address the missing B location pin. So, its back to the tool. Bob
Old 02-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #11
ivory01
AF Newbie

Hi: Here is an interesting update on my 95 Sil. I found a great source for reading my OBDI codes....BRAKEMASTER. They pulled the code(free) and were quite courteous about it. While there I read a collection of letters from happy customers(good PR). So, I have a code P0325...Knock Sensor needs attention. Ordered the part and will replace in a few days. I could measure this and that, but for $35.00 for the part, I'll put it in and go from there.
I'll use BRAKEMASTER for other chargeable items in the future. For now they did a great service.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:15 AM   #12
Jrs3800
AF Enthusiast

Have you figured out if the Knock sensor was the issue?
Old 02-17-2010, 03:42 PM   #13
ivory01
AF Newbie

Yes and no. I replaced the knock sensor..had to move the ac compressor(pain). Car was good for 1 day. Then failure. Sooo, I retourqed the sensor to 14 ft #, verified 5v came down to sensor, reattached and monitored the knock sensor wire at connector #111 near the shock strut. had another failure today(meter not available) and will check in the AM. My problem KS comes on ONLY when I start up the car...can be a cold start or a hot start. I never get the KS code when driving. I'm beginning to think I have PROM problem (logic). I tested the old KS and found it to generate a Voltage when rapped with a tool. My guess it was ok. I checked the wiring harness and its in great condition and its not routed near any hi voltage wires. Also note this van has 150K miles and I have had this car for 8 years with no emission problems. I'm wondering if I have an abnornmal amount of deposits inside the cyl. I never notice any degration in idle or performance when the CEl is lit and I can ALWAYS turn ofF the key and restart to get rid of the CEL(KS ERROR).
The next step is to monitor the 2.5 v on the KS line in the AM. I can almost gurantee I get the CEL lit at that point. I'll post. Bob
Old 02-17-2010, 04:32 PM   #14
Jrs3800
AF Enthusiast

Its looking a lot like you could have a bad EPROM or a faulty PCM.. Hard to sat that for certain tho, but it seems like you are making progress..
Old 02-18-2010, 05:33 PM   #15
ivory01
AF Newbie

HI: Started cold engine. With my Fluke meter on the KS wire, the Service Engine Soon lite came on shile reading 2.4v DC. That would be a normal signal..no KS activity...So, unless I missed a surge or spike?, I figured I would head for the PCM. Took Neg term off battery(per manual) and removed the PCM to the workbench. Have an ESD pad/strap and removed the Eprom...reseated 2x. Pins looked OK and NO adverse smell from the electronics..ie NO burnt condition.
Started car up and got my Service Engine Soon lite within 30 sec. HA! Now steping back before I buy a PCM/Prom on E bay. All othe functions are normal as before removal of PCM. Even though I have the Eprom code(BLSD), would I need to reprogram anything on an exact PCM/Eprom purchase?
No, do not have a good unit to swap over. May visit the bone yard nearby.
Actually, I could put a toggle SW in line with the Sevice Engine Soon lite and call it good. Hmmmm.
I may live with this condition as no adverse engine condtions are present.
Bob

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Silhouette