Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
F Series Forum covers questions and discussions regarding Ford F-150, Ford F-250, Ford F-350, Ford F-450, Ford F-550, Ford F-650, and Ford F-750.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
dagan06
AF Regular

88 F250 351 Windsor head gasket

Are these hard to change? i've never done something like this and thought this truck might be a good one to try it on i've done fuel pumps, water pumps, timing chain/belt ect... so i know my way around a car just wanting to know if this might be to far over my head. any tips or sugestions or should i take it to a shop?

Thanks in advance
dagan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
dfordski
AF Regular

Re: 88 F250 351 Windsor head gasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagan06 View Post
Are these hard to change? i've never done something like this and thought this truck might be a good one to try it on i've done fuel pumps, water pumps, timing chain/belt ect... so i know my way around a car just wanting to know if this might be to far over my head. any tips or sugestions or should i take it to a shop?

Thanks in advance
You have a blown head gasket? From overheating? wikipepia!
Old 11-16-2009, 07:44 PM   #3
denisond3
AF Enthusiast

I have a 91 F350 flatbed with a 351 in it sitting in my yard. It has a rod-knock audible even with cold oil. I promised the owner (an in-law) I would fix it - so am beginning to dismantle stuff so I can pull the engine out. We think the truck has about 285,000 on it, so I figure it will need 'the works'; valve job, pistons/rings, bearings, crank regrind, etc.
It has individual injectors, but dont even know if its a 351W or "C". What would be a good manual to obtain?
If I knew what transmission it has (automatic w overdrive) I would try replacing the clutch packs and bands in that too.

This thing would be lots easier to work on if I could unbolt the front fenders and pull off the 'front clip'. Thats what I did that when I fixed up the last Ford V8 I worked on - my 52 Ford F1 with flathead V8. If not I hope I can at least unbolt/remove the front radiator/condenser support - so as to reach stuff better, and not have to raise the engine so much to get it out. (The mesquite tree that is providing the shade has a low limb.)
denisond3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:58 AM   #4
birar
AF Regular

should be a 351w im pretty sure they stopped putting the 351c in the late 70s early 80s
birar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #5
jajajm
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by birar View Post
should be a 351w im pretty sure they stopped putting the 351c in the late 70s early 80s
That is the 5.8 liter (same as the 351W
jajajm is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series