Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > RSX
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 07:42 PM   #16
DeleriousZ
AF Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to DeleriousZ
Re: Re: Acura RSX Type S Supercharger Help!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlivetheZ
Load isn't necessarily just how much the throttle is open. It's how much load you'r putting on the engine. How fast you're going is irrelevent. How much throttle it requires to maintain that speed is irrelevent. When you're maintaining speed, you're not putting any (much) load on the engine.
not exactly my half-cut homey g dawg mack skillet... the faster you go, the more wind resistance/rolling resistance/basically every other relevant resistance.. the car needs to work harder to overcome those resistances as long as the car is on a flat/positive incline (negative incline to a point as well but that's getting too complicated lol)

but yeah, in a perfect world you wouldn't require any power to keep rolling on a flat surface.. oh, and throttle position is always relevant:P
ZedEx Crew Member #6
1988 300zx turbo 5spd. 3" mandrel exhaust, filter, afco rad, e-fan, poly engine mounts, mbc at 8.5 psi, turboxs rfl-h bov, gutted plenum, etc.

blown turbo, under construction.. gt35 coming.
DeleriousZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 07:59 PM   #17
mmont0
AF Regular

Quote:
Thanks for stating that which I assumed everyone else would assume. EVERYTHING with cars comes down to how much money you have to spend.
You're welcome. A lot of people on this forum are newbies (originator's post count might be a clue) at modifying their automobiles, so you can't assume that they already know these things. I was just re-stating that you basically just can't buy a turbo and pop it in there. You will have to spend much more money buying other internals such as fuel rails, cams, valve springs......

Sorry if you experienced guys find this annoying, but I try to cater to the guys/gals that don't know everything about the RSX.

Don't take what I said above the wrong way. I'm glad you and Delerious chimed in and gave some very useful info. on turbos / superchargers.
mmont0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 05:10 PM   #18
RSX-S777
AF Enthusiast

Re: Acura RSX Type S Supercharger Help!!!!

The irony of the situation is that the original poster most likely never figured out how to find the response to his post. Either that or he's lurking in the shadows, reading intently and biding his time...

In any event, at least he paved the way for some bi-partisan banter to break up the monotony.

I've got a fever. And the only prescription is more cowbell...
RSX-S777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 06:55 PM   #19
longlivetheZ
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to longlivetheZ Send a message via MSN to longlivetheZ
Re: Re: Re: Acura RSX Type S Supercharger Help!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeleriousZ
not exactly my half-cut homey g dawg mack skillet... the faster you go, the more wind resistance/rolling resistance/basically every other relevant resistance.. the car needs to work harder to overcome those resistances as long as the car is on a flat/positive incline (negative incline to a point as well but that's getting too complicated lol)

but yeah, in a perfect world you wouldn't require any power to keep rolling on a flat surface.. oh, and throttle position is always relevant:P
Half-cut...that's a new one.

Sure, it will always take more throttle to maintain speed as your speed increases...but this doesn't but more load on the engine. The engine's doing work, but it's not INCREASING the amount of work it is performing. The scientific definition of work is "The transfer of energy from one physical system to another, especially the transfer of energy to a body by the application of a force that moves the body in the direction of the force." --Dictionary.com

In other words, work = moving something. Yes, the engine is making the car move when maintaining speed (actually it's KEEPING the car moving), but it's not making it move FASTER. THIS is what I mean by load. You're not asking anything of the engine. "The demand for services or performance made on a machine or system." --Dictionary.com

You're not asking it to do anything more. Sure, there is a tiny bit of load on the engine to keep the car going, but very little because enertia isn't a factor. Sure, as drag increases, you would need more force to overcome it, but not more load. You would just be making the engine maintain a speed...not trying to get it to speed up. The load caused by you telling the engine to make the car accelerate is what increases the load enough to produce boost.

D...maintain 110 down the freeway in 4th gear in the turbo (trust me, it'll do it) and see if there's any boost being made. I'll bet you there won't be much, if any registering.

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Benjamin Franklin
longlivetheZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:10 PM   #20
mmont0
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSX-S777
The irony of the situation is that the original poster most likely never figured out how to find the response to his post. Either that or he's lurking in the shadows, reading intently and biding his time...

In any event, at least he paved the way for some bi-partisan banter to break up the monotony.
Yeah. Next thing you know one of these RSX dudes is going to say that it can beat an old 300Z hands down!

Just kidding guys!
Old 11-19-2005, 07:10 AM   #21
longlivetheZ
AF Enthusiast

lol...an RSX-S probably could beat a Z31 (84-89) turbo, stock for stock. Goes to show you how technology helps.

But I'm willing to bet the Z31T is easier to mod successfully. No fancy computers, V-tec or high compression to work around. Z31T could be put into the mid/low 5s to 60 for less than 700 bucks.

Anyone have any success with V-tec controllers? Heard about them, but I've never heard anyone say anything about them. Worth while mod? V-tec is cool as hell!

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Benjamin Franklin
Old 11-20-2005, 12:40 PM   #22
mmont0
AF Regular

Quote:
lol...an RSX-S probably could beat a Z31 (84-89) turbo, stock for stock. Goes to show you how technology helps.

But I'm willing to bet the Z31T is easier to mod successfully. No fancy computers, V-tec or high compression to work around. Z31T could be put into the mid/low 5s to 60 for less than 700 bucks.

Anyone have any success with V-tec controllers? Heard about them, but I've never heard anyone say anything about them. Worth while mod? V-tec is cool as hell!
There's a company called Hondata that modifies your computer so that the VTEC crossover happens at a lower RPM. They also have an option that allows a laptop hookup via USB port to the computer. Here's the link if you want more details - http://hondata.com/kpro.html.

You can download the kmanager software for the kpro to your computer if you want to see what you can modify - http://hondata.com/downloads.html. I played with it a bit on the PC and the interface seems very simple to use. Once my warranty runs out, I'll probably get this mod.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:34 PM   #23
longlivetheZ
AF Enthusiast

Good shit, man. I've always liked Hondas. I used to have an 01 Prelude and I LOVED it. V-tec is cool as hell...I don't care what anyone says...I think it is a very valuable tool and I wish there was something like it I could do to my Z31.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > RSX