Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Passat
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-20-2001, 07:25 AM   #1
Yolanda
AF Newbie

I was wondering if anyone had any information on a 91 Passat. I am in the process of possibly purchasing a car but heard they are very expensive to fix and to stay away from it.

Any suggestions? Thanks
Yolanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2001, 08:02 PM   #2
LostBoyScout
AF Regular

They are not necessarily that expensive to fix, as a car that is as popular as VW will have plenty of wrecking yard part backup, but the VW dealerships are notoriously bad. If you plan to have the car as a 'project' car that you'll be modding a fair bit, find a good performance shop and you're set. Maintenance can be higher than normal and annoying to some, but most everyone I've talked to has either not had problems or have had minor problems that they're willing to deal with..

http://www.kbb.comn will give you an idea of what pricing you're looking at, http://www.vwvortex.com is a good vw forum with 20,000 members so you know you'll get several good answers to any question you might have! (hopefully, with your participation as well, we can make this site as successful! )

I really like the Passat, if you can find a syncro and/or VR6 you're in especially good shape, they are highly desirable cars amongst VW fans
Old 05-14-2001, 11:29 PM   #3
kris
Off playing with fire.

It would be cool to see a nice looking Passat, all I have seen are the Jetta's.
kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 08:34 PM   #4
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
Junkyards are your friend, especially this old. There is no shame, you will save lots. (My moms 91 stanza needed something simple, the dealer wanted 650 bucks, we got an excellent part from the junkyard for 50.)
A good car, but dealer parts are too much. But this early, I am a little uncertain, as they werent as good then as now (Piech was new). Look around the internet and consumer reports to know what to expect.
Old 08-13-2001, 08:53 PM   #5
Nizzan
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Nizzan
I recommend that anyone buying a new car-New or Used, to check out this site. Beware of VW!!! They still have a lot of quality issues, but they have come a long way.

http://www.carreview.com/reviews/
Nizzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2001, 09:38 PM   #6
Chris
Oldie

Send a message via AIM to Chris Send a message via MSN to Chris
VW parts are expensive ($26 a spark plug on a new beetle)

But I know someone with a mid-80's jetta, and they had no problems at all!!! up till now, with 400000km on it, and he's selling it for a new one.
Something to think about.
Old 01-08-2002, 10:49 PM   #7
Euro19
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to Euro19 Send a message via AIM to Euro19 Send a message via Yahoo to Euro19
Exclamation

Really? Actually I think ī80 Jettas are the worst and most unreliable cars on the planet, Iīve heard a lot of issues of mechanical problemas, I saw burning one on the street some years ago, my uncle had one and on the road to the beach at around 100kph the engine broke down (Iīve heard thatīs a regular problem on the ī80- Jettas), terrible. Now he has a 98 Passat 1.8
I think in the ī90 VW has improved alot, theyīre now pretty reliable and the quality is great (I like it better than Toyota certainly)

why is everybody talking all this stuff about me, why donīt just they let me live?

- Daewoo

The Best SUV itīs korean!

Euro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 10:00 AM   #8
TonyS6
AF Newbie

Passats and Jettas

I have owned Passats and Jettas since 1984.

1984 Jetta GLI - great car, except that engine would stutter frequently. VW never figured it out.

1986 Jetta GLI - excellent car. No problems. Sold because I had a child and needed more room in the back for babyseat.

1990 Passat - 4 banger with a stick. Best car I have ever owned. Wife liked it so much that we bought a Passat wagon for her.

1991 - moved to Chicago and sold both Passats for insurance reasons. Got a Volvo. z-z-z-z-z

1995(?) Passat VR6 - real piece of junk. Couldn't accelerate decently with A/C on! Car was so badly aligned that it went through 2 sets of tires. VW wouldn't pay, of course, for the tires. Swore I would never buy another VW!

1997 Jetta GLI - wonderful car. Never had a problem

1999 Audi A6 - sold Jetta and bought this $40,000 piece of junk.

Now waiting for the 2002 Jetta GLI to come out OR the Passat with the W8!
TonyS6 is offline   Reply With Quote