Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Passat
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 03:22 PM   #16
golfer617
AF Newbie

I just wanted to share my recent radio code experience.

I have a 91 Passat but the previous owner replaced the radio with another VW one. I pulled the radio out a few days ago (disconnecting the power) without thinking about any code. When I plugged it back in, I got the infamous SAFE message and then the 1000 message. I have no manual for the radio but luckily I found some radio codes scribbled down on a Post-it that I found in the glove compartment. I tried a couple of them but unfortunately they were not right so I locked out the radio (after the 1st incorrect try, I got a 1 and SAFE message, and then after the 2nd incorrect try, I got a permanent 2 and SAFE message). At this point, I thought I had to bring the radio back to the dealer to get a new one. Anyway, I tried the reset procedure suggested here (turn the key to off and leave radio on for an hour, thanks illest7), and after just about an hour, I got the chance to enter new codes again. The 3rd code on my list worked and I am happy to say I now have a working stereo again.

One more bit of info, I only needed to press and hold down the right SEEK > button to enter the code. I guess different models use different keys.

Al
golfer617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 06:36 PM   #17
jeff123
AF Newbie

Re: Radio SAFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pshelton
Illest 7:

Thanks. I've done that. It won't take the code. When I enter the code (and it's the correct code, according to the dealer and the card), it just flashes SAFE again. Dealer says the radio is now shot and I have to replace it. Is there any other fix?

Thanks.

Peter

PS -- Cool ride. When I lived in Spartanburg (1996), the only RX-7 I ever saw was that sorry car the cops drove around, Written on the side was "CONFISCATED FROM A DRUG DEALER."
I just had the same problem with my 1999 Passat radio. The dealer gave me a code that didn't work. The solution, after hours of searching the internet, was to change the 7th position of the radio serial # from a "V" to "W" or "W" to "V". Then have the dealer put the changed serial # into their system and it might give you a new code. In my case the system did give a different code which ended up working. Hope this helps, Jeff
jeff123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 04:39 PM   #18
knevil77
AF Newbie

SAFE problem - Any answers?

Sounds like I'm having a similar problem. I had to replace the battery in my '97 Cabrio and now the SAFE message is on the radio. I hit the Mode and Scan buttons and got the 1000 message but after I enter the code, the SAFE message keeps flashing. This has happened once before and i was able to unlock it so I know that I have the right code. Any suggestions???

I've waited an hour and tried again 3 times but to no avail....
knevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:10 PM   #19
wsalas4
AF Newbie

Angry Re: radio message "safe"

hello, well I had a monsoon radio and its stuck!!, it just says SAFE but it doesnt let me put in the code, its a 03 stock radio i think its from a jetta, i get it from ebay , well if somebody knows how tu get to the next step please help me, thaks.
Walter
wsalas4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:29 PM   #20
Monicatherine
AF Newbie

Re: radio message "safe"

My radio sometimes locks up and you have to enter in the 4 digit code. I can not remember what button you press after you enter in all 4 numbers... seek>? the big round circle button? I need to know this. Since I didn't know I accidently locked it up SCAN 2 and it won't let me punch numbers in anymore. Is there anyway to disable this so I can punch in the numbers again? If so I really need to know what button I press after I punch in the 4 digit code. Thank you. (ps: i dont have a users manual!)
Monicatherine is offline   Reply With Quote