Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Jetta/Vento/Bora
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 04:01 PM   #1
5vzfe
AF Newbie

Rear brakes

Hey guys has one of you replaced the rear brake pads on your 1999-2002 jetta, I am having problems with it and I am wondering if you guys could help me out.
5vzfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 02:23 PM   #2
vwjett
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to vwjett Send a message via AIM to vwjett
im in the process of changing my rear pads at the moment, when u take off ur caliper to install the brakes be very careful where the brake line screw into the caliper. its suggested u buy new washers for it. i stripped out that bolt and i had to pay 230 for a new caliper and 20 for a new brake line. if u need assistance i recommend goin to an autozone or advanced and buy a haynes repair book. has detailed descriptions of everything u need to do
vwjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 02:26 PM   #3
vwjett
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to vwjett Send a message via AIM to vwjett
i aslo forgot to mention if u change ur rear brake pads it highly recommended u change ur front brakes also.,
vwjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 05:05 PM   #4
73Thing
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 73Thing
DO NOT remove the line that goes into the caliper. There is NO reason to do this! And do NOT replace the front pads simply because you are replacing the rear. You will change your rear pads an average of at least twice before your fronts ever need attention on an A4 Jetta. Take note however, that the rear calipers do not simply push back in like the fronts. Rear caliper pistons have to be turned while pressing them in to go in. There are many ways to accomplish this, I use the special tool. It costs $90, but I do this for a living and can justify the cost. A little ingenuity and know-how, and its not hard to figure out how to get it in. (C-clamp, screwdriver, vice grips). And be forewarned, it is not recommended you turn the rotors. They will be below spec, and will develop a pulsation should you attempt this. I recommend replacing them (although I know alot of folks don't). HTH,
www.dub-tech.com-The real Vw forums.
Certified tech's helping certified enthusiasts.
73Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
Catamaman
AF Newbie

Re: Rear brakes-VW rear caliper tool

The rear caliper tool mentioned by 72Thing also is available for loan at AutoZone stores and, probably, at most other auto part stores. Easy with the tool, but can be long and frustrating without it.
Catamaman is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Jetta/Vento/Bora