Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Passat
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 12:53 PM   #1
akellen
AF Newbie

Unhappy Check Engine Light - Low Catalyst Efficiency

I have a 2000 Passat GLX (2.8L V6). Lately, I've been getting the check engine light every 100-200 miles. The light generally comes on when I'm driving at freeway speed; often upon deceleration. Using my code reader, I get two trouble codes: P0421 - Warm Up Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1) and P0431 - Warm Up Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2). I doesn't seem like the problem can be "real," since I get both codes at the same time. Any idea what could be causing this?
akellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 02:39 PM   #2
tallngangly
AF Newbie

Re: Check Engine Light - Low Catalyst Efficiency

Yesterday the same codes popped up on *my* 2000 2.8L Passat. Did you ever figure out what was wrong? Any info would be appreciated.
tallngangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 03:09 PM   #3
boschmann
AF Fanatic

If both codes are coming up at the same time, I wouldn't suspect cat or O2 sensors. Make sure the vehicle is getting to proper temperature, mainly that the thermostat isn't stuck open.
boschmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 05:24 PM   #4
tallngangly
AF Newbie

Thanks for the suggestion, boschmann. It looks like the coolant temp is acting OK (based on the display in the instrument cluster), but I did notice something odd when warming up...

Normally the auto transmission will delay the upshift to 2nd gear until ~3000rpm when starting cold (so that the cat will warm up more quickly), however it isn't doing this anymore. It upshifts just like it does when the vehicle is at normal operating temp. Obviously, this might be the cause of the warm-up cat performance problem, but then the question becomes why doesn't the transmission delay the upshift any more? Puzzling.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:53 PM   #5
boschmann
AF Fanatic

I would check the temp issue a little further. Does your scanner have a way of monitoring the coolant temp data from the ECT sensor as the vehicle warms up? Alternately, you can check resistance at the sensor: 1500-2000 Ohms @ 86F with a progression to 225-275 Ohms @ 194F (operating temp).
boschmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 03:38 PM   #6
tallngangly
AF Newbie

Well, after about a week wth the MIL light on, it went away and hasn't returned. If/when it returns, I will try to do some more sleuthing....
Old 02-27-2004, 12:54 PM   #7
Trillion4245
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Trillion4245
re: Check Engine Light - Low Catalyst Efficiency

Follow this thread & find a tip >
'AGAIN! Check Engine & Emissions Workshop Warnings'
Trillion4245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 04:36 PM   #8
warangel
AF Newbie

the best procedure for working on new cars,is to buy the service and electrical manual from yor dealer this will tell you where all the parts are and auto codes. invest in a scanner with obd1 and obd11 auto xray scanner forv about 400.00 dollars this will save you a lot of headaches and a lot of money. the mechanics have you by the balls when you have any electrical problems,the scanners are easy to use, if you could use a copmputer you could use a scanner.the top of the line are the auto xray 5000 or the 6000 x-ray.
warangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 04:38 PM   #9
warangel
AF Newbie

the best procedure for working on new cars,is to buy the service and electrical manual from yor dealer this will tell you where all the parts are and auto codes. invest in a scanner with obd1 and obd11 auto xray scanner forv about 400.00 dollars this will save you a lot of headaches and a lot of money. the mechanics have you by the balls when you have any electrical problems,the scanners are easy to use, if you could use a copmputer you could use a scanner.the top of the line are the auto xray 5000 or the 6000 x-ray. not fair to post one message every thirty seconds
warangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:16 AM   #10
hyundai jw
AF Newbie

i have a 2000 accent 1.5l sohc with a code PO422 that says the main catalyst efficiency for bank 1 is below threshold for the current engine operating conditions. I had the guy at autozone reset the computer for me but 35 miles down the road the light came back on. What is it that I need to replace on the car to get it back to normal operating conditions?
hyundai jw is offline   Reply With Quote