Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Passat
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 02:21 PM   #1
paulscheidecker
AF Newbie

Passat no start

Have a mint, red, 92 Passat wagon, 70K miles 4 cyl, 2.0, auto tranny that won't start. For the last 6 months, I thought I had a problem with the ignition switch, as periodically, nothin' happened when I turned the ignition switch. After awhile the starter would eventually turn over and I would be on my way.

Coupla days ago, ignition switch quit, although, radio, fuel pump, auto seat belts, continued to function. Jumped starter solenoid and starter worked fine. Called a tow truck who pushed the car a tad while in gear, gave me a battery boost and starter turned over & car started. Brought car home (it ran fine) but can't get the starter to turn over through the ignition switch. New battery installed a month ago, although charger indicated it was practically drained. Checked all ground straps with meter - all ok.

Any suggestions?
paulscheidecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 01:52 PM   #2
boschmann
AF Fanatic

Re: Passat no start

There is a Park/Neutral relay in the fuse panel. It uses a signal from the multifunction switch (back up lights & neutral safety) on the transaxle, through the trans control module to allow the starter to function.
boschmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 01:58 PM   #3
paulscheidecker
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Passat no start

Quote:
Originally Posted by boschmann
There is a Park/Neutral relay in the fuse panel. It uses a signal from the multifunction switch (back up lights & neutral safety) on the transaxle, through the trans control module to allow the starter to function.
Hey Boschmann;

Thanks for the speedy reply. Appreciate it!

Once again Boschmann, you're right on!

Checked power comin' out of starter switch and it's fine. However, no power comin' into solenoid. Turned starter switch on, jumped solenoid and the car started up just like new!

My problem is - am having a problem identifying the relay thru Bentley's diagrams. Believe it is top left, but not sure.

Also could you please give me a clue as to how much I should pay to replace ze relay, assumming i'm allergic to VW dealerships.

Thanx Boschmann!

Paul

Last edited by paulscheidecker; 09-05-2004 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:35 AM   #4
boschmann
AF Fanatic

Just remember it could also be the switch on the transmission. I think the relay is on the top row (of the upper two row add on relay section) second from the left. It has eight pins. If you look closely at the socket that the relay plugs into the pins should be numbered 1-8. Pin 1 is the ground from the trans switch, it should be grounded in park/neutral. Have you tried moving the gear selector when it won't start to see if it helps?
Old 09-06-2004, 12:59 PM   #5
paulscheidecker
AF Newbie

Quote:
Just remember it could also be the switch on the transmission. I think the relay is on the top row (of the upper two row add on relay section) second from the left. It has eight pins. If you look closely at the socket that the relay plugs into the pins should be numbered 1-8. Pin 1 is the ground from the trans switch, it should be grounded in park/neutral. Have you tried moving the gear selector when it won't start to see if it helps?
Hey Boschmann;

Thanks again for your prompt & informative reply!

Yep, checked out switch on transmission. Have moved the trans switch many times from Park to Neutral. Didn't have any effect. Have 12V goin' in and 12V comin' out as long as it's in P or N!

Looks like the relay is going to run around $15-$20. Do these things just "pull out" from the socket, or is there a "release"?

Any thoughts about adding a new 30a Bosch relay. Guess there are a number of "kits" out there.

Thanks Boschmann!

Paul
Old 09-06-2004, 05:11 PM   #6
boschmann
AF Fanatic

The relay just pulls out. If you feel there's not enough current making it to the starter solenoid an extra relay is the easiest option. This was actually the dealer fix for the A2 & early A3 automatics. This was done because when hot the starter would draw too many amps for the circuit to handle, not because of any "bad" components. Your Passat has different wiring and uses the relay in a similar manner.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:26 PM   #7
paulscheidecker
AF Newbie

Quote:
The relay just pulls out. If you feel there's not enough current making it to the starter solenoid an extra relay is the easiest option. This was actually the dealer fix for the A2 & early A3 automatics. This was done because when hot the starter would draw too many amps for the circuit to handle, not because of any "bad" components. Your Passat has different wiring and uses the relay in a similar manner.
Thanks again Boschmann!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What an education!

Will try the normal relay first.

Sincerely;

Paul
Old 09-07-2004, 03:02 PM   #8
AF Regular

Try pushing the key up while trying to crank it. Push it as hard as you can.

Does this happen only on hot days, by any chance?
008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 03:16 PM   #9
paulscheidecker
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 008
Try pushing the key up while trying to crank it. Push it as hard as you can.

Does this happen only on hot days, by any chance?
Nope, can happen anytime.

Checked and have proper voltage going into and comin' out of ignition switch.

Have power goin' into and out of Park/Neutral switch.

Do not have power going into starter from relay, so I have ordered another relay. It's VW part #141 951 253 B and involves circuits 30, 87, 85 & 86.

Thanks for the suggestion - any others?

Paul
Old 10-25-2004, 09:06 AM   #10
pjasthi
AF Newbie

Passat no start

Hello,

I have a 95 VR6 (manual transmission). My car had the same intermittent problems with ignition, and over the weekend it would not completly dead. Initially I could hear the crank but would not start. I tried for few minutes and after that when I turn the ignition no crank or sound at all. Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Prasad
pjasthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 11:44 AM   #11
paulscheidecker
AF Newbie

Hey pjasthi;

Doesn't sound like your problem is similar to mine, as your car cranks a little. Mine wouldn't crank at all. This tells me the charge from your battery is insufficient. Do you have an ammeter to check the "juice" that is (1) coming off of your battery and also (2) to your starter.

Paul
Old 10-28-2004, 11:17 AM   #12
ksm1213
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulscheidecker
Hey pjasthi;

Doesn't sound like your problem is similar to mine, as your car cranks a little. Mine wouldn't crank at all. This tells me the charge from your battery is insufficient. Do you have an ammeter to check the "juice" that is (1) coming off of your battery and also (2) to your starter.

Paul

Hi , can anyone help my 95 vr6 on starting.
it can start up but cannot hold after my garage took out the dash lot to repair heater matrix .
also my abs light keeps on after front tyres are changed ( i've unpluged the sockets behind the light ) but would like to sort it out if someone gives me direction.
thanks
mac
ksm1213 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Passat