Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Fiero
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 07:43 PM   #1
alwaysproblems
AF Newbie

engine problems. always engine problems.

alright i just bought an 86 fiero and its doing some stuff that i have no clue how to fix and i've asked mechanics and every one gives me a different answer on what is wrong with it. it starts up ok. it takes a little cranking (no more than 5 seconds.) but it eventually fires. and it will idle no problem. but first off the transmission is screwing up. it wont go into reverse while the engines running even with the clutch pedal pressed all the way to the floor it grinds really bad. so i have to turn in off, put it in reverse then start it and go from there it will shift out of reverse no problem. secondly, first and second gears are real hard to get into and take a lot of physical effort to get them in there. but there isn't any grinding sounds, or anything to make me think that i may be breaking something. third it has a lot of trouble taking off quick. if i slowly add some throttle it will do fine but if i get on it in the slightest it will bog down severely. fourth and definitely the most annoying and aggravating, is that when i coming up to a stop ill pull it out of gear and have the clutch pressed to the floor and then engine dies in synch with the speed of the car. the slower i go the lower the rpms until finally it dies as i stop, but i can keep everything the exact same, just turn the key off and then back on again and it will fire up and idle with no problem whatsoever. but when i drive again and go to stop again it does the same thing. any help with any of these problems would be greatly appreciated. thank you.
alwaysproblems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:55 PM   #2
juggalojesus87
AF Newbie

Re: engine problems. always engine problems.

sounds exactly like my car when i first bought my 86 SE 4 speed a little over a year ago... mine still takes a while to start possible weak fuel pump. i heard that is common in fieros... the shifting was fixed when i blew my clutch and they wanted about 2 grand to fix so i took it to my dads and tore it up myself... it was shifting hard because the fork and shaft was bent. also the clutch pedel was twisted not allowing the pedel to push the pushrod into the master cylinder all the way. also common in fieros the slave cylinder bracket bends and the clutch is harder to bleed so it might not have been done properly. also my fiero would die out like that because my alt belt was not on tight enough not charging the battery all the way so i bought the idler pully from rodney dickmen fiero and works awsome... my best guess for you on the dieing out tho might be to test the fuel pressur... just my guess tho
juggalojesus87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 01:56 PM   #3
Old Lar
AF Regular

Re: engine problems. always engine problems.

There could be a problem with the shift cable and or select cable as well as bent fork. www.rodneydickman.com sells replacement cables.
Old Lar is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Fiero