Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Engine, Transmission and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engine, Transmission and Drivetrain Discuss Engine, Transmission, Drivetrain, and all other performance modifications here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
jontierney888
AF Newbie

Evo 8 swap

I guess it can be possible to swap an evo 8 motor into an eclipse gs or rs with little to no mounting. does anybody know how much that would cost for everything? please let me know cuz that would be a sick future plan
jontierney888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:30 AM   #2
david-b
Dave is THAT guy

Send a message via AIM to david-b Send a message via MSN to david-b Send a message via Yahoo to david-b
Re: Evo 8 swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontierney888 View Post
I guess it can be possible to swap an evo 8 motor into an eclipse gs or rs with little to no mounting. does anybody know how much that would cost for everything? please let me know cuz that would be a sick future plan
Where'd you hear this from? Because it's wrong. You CAN technically put it in, but 'little to no mounting' is a lie.

Check out THIS thread. Someone has done it, but I don't know how successful the end result was.

75 Monte Carlo
SBC 400 6.6L, Aluminum heads, Hurricane Intake...

12 Chevy Sonic 1LZ 1.8L - Traded
01 Pontiac Grand Am SE - RIP
95 Eagle Talon ESi-T 5spd - RIP
88 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera- RIP
david-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
jontierney888
AF Newbie

No ur wrong it can be done. i guess its not recommended but...this guy has swapped an evo motor into over 40 eclipse rs and gs's. check out this link
http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198729
Old 09-10-2011, 10:38 AM   #4
Blackcrow64
AF Moderator

Your both right and your both wrong...

There is a big difference between the two threads...

The guy from DSMtalk was using the 420a tranny in combination with the evo8 4g63 motor... In this scenario he would be able to utilize his factory axles, shifter cables, mounts, sensors, etc... However, you have to realize the 420a driveline was not built for the abuse of being turbocharged and running so much more power. Not to say it won't hold up for a little while, but it will not be near as strong as it should be if you really wanna be hard on it... He would have had to change the passenger side motor mount just a little bit to accommodate the evo8 4g63 motor and most of the other sensors would just require a little rewiring since cables can be moved with little affect to their positions... This would in theory not cost as much as it should cost if you were doing it the right way.

Not saying it's the wrong way, but if you are putting so much money into a setup like this, I would think one would wanna do it the right way and build it so it lasts. Nobody like a project that has been mickey moused together so much that it has a possibility of breaking each time you drive it. Not trying to dog anyones swaps here, just pointing out that people appreciate seeing others do a project correctly with as much time, thought and care into it as should be given.

The guy here at AF was using the evo8 4g63 motor AND evo8 tranny in his car... This creates a big change as now the stock axles will not work. One would have two options at this point. Swap hubs and all and fabricate more mounts so they will line up properly and then use the evo8 axles. (Assuming the length would work with a setup like this) Or you would have to go down the road of building custom axles to fit a 420a hub... If the length of the evo8 axles will not work, then you are still stuck with doing custom axles... After that you have to consider the shifter cables and mounts. They would need to be changed and it would have to be considered if the shifter moves enough to accommodate the movement needed to change gears in the evo8 tranny. Then you have sensors... Would the speed sensor read the same on the evo8 motor vs the 420a motor? Probably not since the gears and wheel sizes would be of different ratios from a factory setup. This would have to be changed/modified to work correctly. Of course there are other various sensors that would need rewired on the tranny. The motor would of course need to go through all the same modifications as I listed in the last paragraph...

So as you can see, the DSMtalk setup vs the AF setup is quite a bit different. They both made it work, but the one using the evo8 driveline parts will probably have better results in both performance and longevity of the swap.

I have touched on both fact and opinion. I am no professional by any means and may have overlooked or forgotten some things, but in my opinion, if it is being done the right way, it won't be as cheap as some may make it seem to be.

Of course that last paragraph is my opinion based on how I would do the swap.

Good luck to you if you decide to pursue this swap and I hope you will include the evo8 tranny and custom axles with yours.

• 05 Cobalt LS sold
  • 02 Tahoe LT sold
  • 06 Cadillac STS4 AWD sold
  • 03 Corvette Z06
  • 14 Silverado 1500
Blackcrow64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
jontierney888
AF Newbie

Well thanks a lot man that was a lot of help. So say i would wanna do the evo swap with the evo driveline parts. do you think you could give me an estimate on how much the full setup would cost. including installation cuz if its too much than its not worth it
Old 09-10-2011, 08:08 PM   #6
ned032002
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
No ur wrong it can be done.
No where in Dave's post did it say that "IT CAN'T BE DONE" so read before you post.

Looks like a fun project but a price estimate for a job like that is unpredictable. If you have the parts lying around, then go for it.
ned032002 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ned032002 For This Useful Post:
david-b (09-12-2011)
Old 09-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #7
jontierney888
AF Newbie

Well i meant that its not gonna take too much motor mounting as everyone thinks..sorry

And i dont have the parts laying around but i know where i can get the motor and tranny for $3500
Old 09-11-2011, 12:27 AM   #8
Blackcrow64
AF Moderator

Quote:
Well thanks a lot man that was a lot of help. So say i would wanna do the evo swap with the evo driveline parts. do you think you could give me an estimate on how much the full setup would cost. including installation cuz if its too much than its not worth it
Like I said before, I am by no means a professional and really can't put a price on something like that for you. What I can tell you is that you could do a quick figure up of looking up the parts online to figure your parts cost. If you have the tools and knowledge, the best route would be to do it all yourself. Have a shop do a swap like this would cost you a fortune. I wouldn't be surprised if they charged you several thousands of dollars for just labor alone. I can't see it being done properly for less than 7500 as a quick guess at parts and labor basing off you saying you know of a motor tranny combo for 3500... Of course I could be way off on this and it may cost more or less. It depends on what a shop would charge for custom fabrications and such...
  • 05 Cobalt LS sold
  • 02 Tahoe LT sold
  • 06 Cadillac STS4 AWD sold
  • 03 Corvette Z06
  • 14 Silverado 1500
Blackcrow64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:25 AM   #9
ned032002
AF Enthusiast

And all the cutting and welding tools to fab up the mounts.
ned032002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:16 AM   #10
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

Send a message via AIM to SilvrEclipse

There is no reason to do this swap when you can turbo the 420a and build the motor for way less than you are going to spend swapping in a STOCK evo 8 motor.
Megasquirt 2 - Holset HY35 Turbo - Built motor - P&P Head and Intake - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - Aeromotive AFPR - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Zoom clutch - 13" Cobra Front Brakes - AEM WB - Devilsown meth injection - 3.55 Final Drive gear ratio

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i - DD
SilvrEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SilvrEclipse For This Useful Post:
Blackcrow64 (09-12-2011)
Old 09-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #11
FireBal989
AF Newbie

It can be done, but you definitely need the mounting !!!!
FireBal989 is offline   Reply With Quote