Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Engine, Transmission and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engine, Transmission and Drivetrain Discuss Engine, Transmission, Drivetrain, and all other performance modifications here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
Cavalier9696
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Cavalier9696
FMU question

Currently IM running a 12:1 FMU and feel like IM not getting the boost I should. I have been talking to another DSM owner on here and he also thinks it could be a fuel problem. The pressure from this FMU is so hard that IM leaking fuel even with 2 hose clamps (like a drop ever minute or so). I have an aftermarket FPR but was told that I wouldn't need it. The FMU is currently installed on the drivers side firewall. I have been reasearching to make sure I can mount the FMU on the firewall for a 95 rs. So now IM thinking is there an FMU made for running low boost as in 5psi?

My meter says IM running rich when getting on the gas and lean when I let off. In idle it runs between neutral and rich.
Thanks.

1995 Eclipse RS 5psi
Garret T3/T4 Turbo, Procharger FMU, TurboXS BOV, OBX Evolution 35mm External WG, HKS Intercooler, Apexi DP, Apexi exhaust.
Cavalier9696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
Cavalier9696
AF Regular

Re: FMU question

Any1?

1995 Eclipse RS 5psi
Garret T3/T4 Turbo, Procharger FMU, TurboXS BOV, OBX Evolution 35mm External WG, HKS Intercooler, Apexi DP, Apexi exhaust.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
david-b
Dave is THAT guy

Send a message via AIM to david-b Send a message via MSN to david-b Send a message via Yahoo to david-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier9696 View Post
Currently IM running a 12:1 FMU and feel like IM not getting the boost I should. I have been talking to another DSM owner on here and he also thinks it could be a fuel problem. The pressure from this FMU is so hard that IM leaking fuel even with 2 hose clamps (like a drop ever minute or so). I have an aftermarket FPR but was told that I wouldn't need it. The FMU is currently installed on the drivers side firewall. I have been reasearching to make sure I can mount the FMU on the firewall for a 95 rs. So now IM thinking is there an FMU made for running low boost as in 5psi?

My meter says IM running rich when getting on the gas and lean when I let off. In idle it runs between neutral and rich.
Thanks.
Are you seriously driving the car with a fuel leak still? Dude... no. If you don't know how to get the fuel from stop leaking, take it to a shop. Or learn how to use stainless steel lines/fittings and replace what you need to with those. Fuel is not something you let leak... ever! One drop a minute to one drop every day is not acceptable, no matter what.

A 12:1 FMU is making your fuel pressure high. If base fuel pressure @ idle is 47psi, you're raising 12psi for every pound of boost. Example:

1lb boost = 59psi FP, 2lb boost = 71psi FP, 3lb boost = 83psi FP...

Long story short, your fuel pressure is going to get super high in boost. You should be able to use the FPR to lower the base fuel pressure to about 23-30psi @ idle. People run this setup all the time though. I did it for about a year. 12:1 FMU, no FPR, 8lb wastegate... its a simple and basic setup which does good. Been proven to do good.

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? If so, what is your FP @ idle?

FMU is fine on the firewall.

Car will always get lean when you let off the gas. The ECU cuts fuel as the motor is winding down, then turns it back on when it sees the right conditions. A 12:1 FMU will pretty much always make the car run rich until you get the FP down. That's why the 12:1 is a good starting point, since it's nearly impossible to run super lean and damage your motor.

75 Monte Carlo
SBC 400 6.6L, Aluminum heads, Hurricane Intake...

12 Chevy Sonic 1LZ 1.8L - Traded
01 Pontiac Grand Am SE - RIP
95 Eagle Talon ESi-T 5spd - RIP
88 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera- RIP
david-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
Cavalier9696
AF Regular

I haven't been driving it. I have been driving my truck. I noticed the leak when I moved the car the other day to mow the lawn. I have an after market FPR but when I was getting the turbo installed you said I didn't need it. I have to get another one though cause the gauge is so foggy I can't see the psi on it. The leak in coming from the FMU itself from the hosebarb on the tank line. I have stainless steel lines and fittings. Without turning the pressure down it's going to leak. When I had the FPR on it, the gas flowed fine. But like I said, I was told I didn't need it so I took it off. So basicly when I put the FPR on I will be fine.

1995 Eclipse RS 5psi
Old 01-28-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

Send a message via AIM to SilvrEclipse

Dave, you cant lower the base fuel pressure IF you are using stock injectors. It will f up your fuel trims. You should probably get an actually fuel pressure gauge you can put in the cabin so you can monitor it will driving. When you says your meter says your running rich is that a crappy narrow band gauge or do you have a real wideband o2 sensor. You will need a real WB bc the narrow band doesn't tell you shit.
Megasquirt 2 - Holset HY35 Turbo - Built motor - P&P Head and Intake - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - Aeromotive AFPR - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Zoom clutch - 13" Cobra Front Brakes - AEM WB - Devilsown meth injection - 3.55 Final Drive gear ratio

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i - DD

Last edited by SilvrEclipse; 01-30-2012 at 08:57 PM.
SilvrEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
david-b
Dave is THAT guy

Send a message via AIM to david-b Send a message via MSN to david-b Send a message via Yahoo to david-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilvrEclipse View Post
Dave, you can lower the base fuel pressure IF you are using stock injectors. It will f up your fuel trims.
Jason, do you mean can't? I'm pretty sure he's using stock FIs.

Pull off the barb and wrap teflon to the threads. Then tighten good.

75 Monte Carlo
SBC 400 6.6L, Aluminum heads, Hurricane Intake...

12 Chevy Sonic 1LZ 1.8L - Traded
01 Pontiac Grand Am SE - RIP
95 Eagle Talon ESi-T 5spd - RIP
88 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera- RIP
david-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

Send a message via AIM to SilvrEclipse

Fixed.. yes I meant can't.
Megasquirt 2 - Holset HY35 Turbo - Built motor - P&P Head and Intake - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - Aeromotive AFPR - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Zoom clutch - 13" Cobra Front Brakes - AEM WB - Devilsown meth injection - 3.55 Final Drive gear ratio

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i - DD
SilvrEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote