Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 01:28 PM   #1
garthwoman
AF Newbie

91 Grand Voyage speedometer/tranny problems?

I have a 91 grand voyager that had a new transmission put in it last year and is now again having problems. My speedometer bounces like crazy and when it hits up to 90-100 miles per hour, my car starts to stall. Usually all I have to do is back off of the gas, the speedometer drops, and car runs fine. Lately it has been kicking really hard when shifting from park, and into gear. I define it as 'lurching' when it shifts gears. We had the tranny checked and were told to replace the input/output sensors. My husband was able to find one of the sensors brand new, but not the other (not sure which is new) and instead bought a universal sensor and installed them, but we are still having problems. The motor is 3.3L/6V.

Can anyone help us out?
garthwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:37 PM   #2
tempfixit
AF Enthusiast

Re: 91 Grand Voyage speedometer/tranny problems?

Look at the solenoid connector; it is located just left of the transmission fluid lines to the radiator. Take the connector off and look to see if there is moisture in it, dry connector and apply electronic grease to help keep moisture out.

Hope this helps
tempfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:49 PM   #3
garthwoman
AF Newbie

Could this be a speed sensor? We were told to check this once and when looking for one, was told by some auto parts store they never heard of it...
Old 06-14-2007, 01:55 PM   #4
garthwoman
AF Newbie

I just spoke with my husband and he said that we replaced the input/output sensors with new, but problem remained so tranny place checked it out and told us it was the relays that needed replace. We could only locate one relay that was new, the other is a universal. Sorry for the confusion.

Update***

I just checked the engine error codes (thanks to this site I learned how to do this!)

They read:
12 15 55 which I believe is then the error code for no signal from speed/distance sensor. Am I on the right track?
Thanks for helping.

Last edited by garthwoman; 06-14-2007 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:28 PM   #5
garthwoman
AF Newbie

Talking Re: 91 Grand Voyage speedometer/tranny problems?

We have a new problem. My husband cannot locate were the speed sensor goes. We have diagrams from the automotive book, but they are very vague. Could somebody tell me we to locate the speed sensor in a 91 Plymouth Voyager LE 3.3L 6V automatic?

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2007, 07:08 PM   #6
garthwoman
AF Newbie

He finally found the speed sensor and replaced it. While doing this it was noted that the knock sensor was disconnect, so he reconnected. At the same time our battery connections were very corroded, so he cleaned them with a cleaner he bought, reconnect it and we went off to test drive. We got about 10 blocks from home just fine, came to a stop and the car just died. Thinking that the knock sensor might have something to do with, he unplugged it. When that didn't work, we realized that whatever he cleaned the battery with did something to it, so we bought a new battery and installed it. The car fired right up, but died within a few seconds. Over the next few hours, the car will fire but as soon as you try to give it gas it dies. Very strong fuel odor. We did find a plug that is not connected to anything that comes off of the throttle position sensor, near the oxygen sensor, but these all seem to be plugged in and we can't find anything that it would plug into near it and the wires are not very long. Anyway... it is still stalling out and this was never a problem before the speed sensor was changed. By the way my speedometer did work correctly before it died. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My husband is there now trying to figure this out!

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2007, 01:36 AM   #7
fallen4shell
AF Newbie

Did I misunderstand your post or are you ACTUALLY driving a 91 Caravan 90-100mph?????
fallen4shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:37 AM   #8
fallen4shell
AF Newbie

did you ever solve this problem and, if so, what did it end up being?
fallen4shell is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager