Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Avenger
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 05:30 PM   #1
imontano
AF Newbie

Exclamation Strange Sound On Shifting Gears

Hi everyone, I just bought a 1996 Avenger, automatic transm. It works great but it makes a strange noise every time it shifts gears (every gear). Someone told me it was a Dodge problem, but not something to be afraid of.

The sound is like a spring or something. not too loud but annoying.

Do anyone knows anything about it?

Also, my car does not have power windows... is it too complicated to change to power windows myself? (i've seen kits being sold) do i need to do a lot of wiring for the electrical parts?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!!!
imontano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 10:16 PM   #2
KManiac
AF Enthusiast

Re: Strange Sound On Shifting Gears

I knew it when I read your title. You just bought this car and it is the first Chrysler "ultradrive" 4-speed automatic you have ever driven.

The noise you hear sounds like a "buzzing" or "ratcheting" sound. It occurs whenever you pull your shift lever into "Drive", whenever the transmission upshifts out of low range on take off and downshifts into low range whenever you come to a stop. It is not very loud, but it is always there.

This noise is nothing to worry about. It is inherent to the operation of this particular transmission. The tranny is electronically controlled and the noise I believe comes from the electronic circuitry that shifts the gears. You can't get rid of it unless you sell your car. It is harmless and you will just have to get used to it.

I had a 1989 Dodge Caravan (1989 was the first year for Ultradrive) that made that noise and my 1998 Town&Country makes the same noise. I am so acustom to that sound that whenever I hear it, especially at a stoplight, I know immediately that the car next to me is a 1989 or newer Chrysler product.

Another feature of this transmission may not know about yet is "limp mode". It will surprise you the first time it occurs. When the computer senses a functional anomoly with the transmission, it will automatically shift into and hold the second gear range. It is a shock when it drops into limp mode above 45 mph! I would suggest you read about this in your owners manual as soon as possible. Limp mode can be cleared by shutting off the car and restarting it. I encountered limp mode once in my 1989 Caravan. It occured when I was driving in a heavy downpour. Good thing I knew what it was and how to clear it immediately. It never did it again. I have never had it occur in the 1998 T&C during the last six years, but I know that someday it will.

Just smile and enjoy your new to you car.
KManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 02:56 PM   #3
94StealthTT
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to 94StealthTT
Re: Strange Sound On Shifting Gears

Yes, this is normal. These transmissions sound this way when they operate. I noticed it in my car the most when coming to a stop or when the sound would echo off something close by. It is kind of annoying though. I have heard of some people upgrading to a newer solenoid pack. I believe that is what shifts the gears and causes that noise. I dont remember the year but the newer Dodge/Chryslers are quieter or silent. The solenoid pack is on the outside and easily replaced to an upgraded one. Just make sure you look into it first to get the right year but only if the noise is too annoying for you.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Avenger