Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars)
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
240Z | 260Z| 280Z | 300ZX (Past Z Cars) The original Z cars - ones that started it all.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 11:41 PM   #1
tran_nsx
AF Enthusiast

300zx nonturbo 1/4 mile times?

hey everyone, i was curious what the 1/4 mile time was and this is the 90's body style to be specific. well heres the story, my sister and i drove in my 92 integ ls to go pick up my 2 other sisters from high school today at 3:30 pm. after driving out of the school and making a left toward the main road driving, i had to stop about 1/8mile later because of the red light ahead of me. i notice to my left there was two guys in a 300 zx with aftermarket exhaust, stickers on the front windshield, and who knows what else under the hood. now i wasn't intending to race these guys at all, especially with my sisters in the car, not to mention they weighed may car down, and of course it was a "z." the light turn green and i just press the gas normally, but to my left i heard tire screeching and right away i knew the 300zx wanted to race me wheather i like it or not. so i did what came naturally, i downshift to get back my momentum and we were off. they intended to race me so of course they had some what of a head start, but some how i slowly caught up to them and pass them where their front bumper was almost near my front tires. i was like, wtf? that was a 300zx that i passed up, and also came to the conclusion that it wasn't the twinturbo since that should have blown me away. still though, the that was n/a 300, i thought it should atleast have beat me by a little. well anyways, after getting the lead i saw the look of their faces, and they had a puzzling look like what is happening here? well anyways, that was my story and its true.

Last edited by tran_nsx; 01-24-2004 at 02:07 AM.
tran_nsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 01:44 AM   #2
Gradyman25
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Gradyman25
I hate to be the first one to do it but....... ....a couple of things here

1. If i'm not mistaken i believe stock your car runs 16's low 17's the 1/4 and the Z runs it in about 15.5,
2. Yes the Z weighs more, but it also has almost twice the power, plus you had 3 people in the car also, i could be wrong, but i didnt think the vtech came out for those cars until 93, but dont quote me on that one.
3. The only way you could have won this race was if they didnt know you were racing period.
4. This brings up the question of whether or not your car is stock or not and if not what extensive work have you done to it to take 1 sec. plus of your time like the ls-vtech head swap.
5. BUT in the real world anything can happen and some how a miracle happened and you won then props.
Gradyman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 02:09 AM   #3
tran_nsx
AF Enthusiast

hey please reread my post, there was some errors i didn't notice since i was in a rush, thanks.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:42 AM   #4
tran_nsx
AF Enthusiast

Re: 300zx nonturbo 1/4 mile times?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradyman25
I hate to be the first one to do it but....... ....a couple of things here

1. If i'm not mistaken i believe stock your car runs 16's low 17's the 1/4 and the Z runs it in about 15.5,
2. Yes the Z weighs more, but it also has almost twice the power, plus you had 3 people in the car also, i could be wrong, but i didnt think the vtech came out for those cars until 93, but dont quote me on that one.
3. The only way you could have won this race was if they didnt know you were racing period.
4. This brings up the question of whether or not your car is stock or not and if not what extensive work have you done to it to take 1 sec. plus of your time like the ls-vtech head swap.
5. BUT in the real world anything can happen and some how a miracle happened and you won then props.
u can call bs if u want but u weren't there.

1. a stock 92 teg ls can run lo to mid 16's due to it's lighter weight in comparison to it's newer heavier 3rd gen sibling. this i know since i went up against a 3rd gen integ and i won even though i had one of my sisters, and 18's inch rims on. in the other teg, it was only the driver.
2. yes i know a stock z weighs more than a stock teg. i had three people in my car, this is one of the major factors i didn't want to race him. as far as vtec, they did have it for the 92 integ but they are extremely rare.
3. oh yes they wanted to race me, i was the one who didn't. i heard them peeling out as i started to accelerate.
4. as far as modifications, i don't got much, just only an aem cai, greddy exhaust, ngk irridium plugs, msd wires, and high performance c-v axles. no header since im going towards the f/i route.
5. hey i never thought i would win, but i couldn't go out as a punk and not try. in this race i was stunned, so was the guys in the 300zx, hopefully if i do see them again, i would like to race one more time, this time only me in the car.

later on at about 7:30pm when i went to go get a pizza i got into another race. this time it was with a volkswagon vr6 t, all i go to say was man that thing is damn fast! i was even excited that i lost, but what do u expect? it a v6 with a turbo, it only makes me want a turbo even more. believe me, i wouldn't lie about about none of this, if i got beat im not going to bs about it. heres a pic of my car just for the heck.
Old 01-24-2004, 02:53 AM   #5
89Turbo944
AF Enthusiast

You lost to a VR6 but beat a Z????

Hum, sounds fishie. 300zx na mid to low 15's. 300ZX TT high 13's to low 14's.

You are sayin gthat a VR6 can beat you when i can literly RAPE a VR6. I mean, the NA Z's usualy have good launches due to the fact that they dont have as much power as a TT. So this story sounds like it may be true if

1. The 300ZX wanted to race, thought you werent going to and you did, now he thinks you did a ricer flybye
2. He REALLY pealled his launch
3. He cant drive worth a monkeys ass
or 4. Its BS.

But i will not call bs cause i have seen strabger things happen.
89Turbo944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 03:11 AM   #6
tran_nsx
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: 300zx nonturbo 1/4 mile times?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89Turbo944
You lost to a VR6 but beat a Z????
yep, well im not exactly sure it was the vr6 since the letters was alltogether and it was in the dark. all i know was that i saw the "T" at the end somewhat away from the other letters, which i know has to stand for turbo. i also know it was a volkswagon by its shape so i infer it to be a vr6 turbo.

as far as the race went with me and the "z," i knew what happened, my sisters knew what happened, those guys knew happened, and thats all that really matters. of course this is kinda biased since im in the "z" forum but im not really worried about it, im just trying to find some info on that car, if i do find him and race again i would keep u guys updated. so it basically up to u, u guys can either congratulate or u can hate, although a nice "good job" would be nice.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:18 AM   #7
89Turbo944
AF Enthusiast

Umm now this sounds even more fishy.

VW never made a VR6 turbo. And even so they arent that fast. To turbo a VR6 you need two turbos and about 10000$. So it is very unlikly.

Did you see a VR6 badge on the back?

Sounds to me like you were racing a GTI 1.8T. Which im almost 100% positive it was. And you are saying you lost to that car but beat a Z? Still sounds fishie. Even if that car was modded quite a bit you should have beaten it.

But hey, like i said weared things have happened
Old 01-24-2004, 03:19 AM   #8
89Turbo944
AF Enthusiast

PS was it a Golf or a Jetta??
Old 01-24-2004, 03:43 AM   #9
tran_nsx
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
PS was it a Golf or a Jetta??
i don't know, never really paid any attention to them and their models. those cars never appealed to me, whats the difference? maybe i can give u more details. yes i think to the left of the "T" there was some numbers but it was kinda hard to read it. some more info if i didn't add b4 was that the race with the volkswagon wasn't from a stop like the "z." we started at like about 25-30mph going up the freeway on ramp, maybe that was why he was so quick since he could've been at full boost already.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:55 AM   #10
89Turbo944
AF Enthusiast

Ok well let me get this right.

You raced a Z with 2 other people in the car. This would have droped you time segnificantly. Just having the extraweight in the car would effect the weight transfer. Causing more weight to go to the rear. So you loose grip in a FWD car. Now the Z is the opposit. The more weight you get over the rear the better it will hook up. So that really makse no sense to me how youbeat him.

Now the 1.8T.180-hp 1.8-liter dohc 20v turbocharged inline-4. So you are telling me a180hp car beat you when the 300zx lost?
Old 01-24-2004, 11:04 AM   #11
billclinton
AF Enthusiast

i could beleive it, i have been included in a race like this before, I was driving the Z and i beat the shit out of it so much you have no idea. By the time i junked it it was a shit load slower. The tranny would slip massivly and i raced a 93 with a 95 vtec engine and exhaust an only 1 person in the car. I lost by a little bit i had true daul straight pipes 2 1/2 inch on my car and that was it.

NoLlieSkillz : its called

NoLlieSkillz : neutral drop at redline
billclinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 11:14 AM   #12
BP2K2Max
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to BP2K2Max

you sure the z wasn't a 240 or 280Z? or even a 240sx? no offense but you don't seem to be 100% sure about either of the cars you raced.
BP2K2Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 12:08 PM   #13
tran_nsx
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP2K2Max
you sure the z wasn't a 240 or 280Z? or even a 240sx? no offense but you don't seem to be 100% sure about either of the cars you raced.
yes it was deifnately a 300zx. those were one of my dream cars when i was in high school, i know the diiference with the z but the volkswagon on the otherhand is a diiferent story.
Old 01-24-2004, 12:23 PM   #14
Gradyman25
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Gradyman25
the only reason i have a reallly hard time believing all this is because i've raced my friends 92 teg with h/i/e and destroyed him in every which way, from a roll, from a stop, going in reverse, not really reverse but you get the point, but like always there are things that can happen in when actually on the streets, but his isnt one of them, i hate being so negative but i cant let myself believe this one, but for your benefit, good job!
Gradyman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 12:41 PM   #15
tran_nsx
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Ok well let me get this right.

You raced a Z with 2 other people in the car. This would have droped you time segnificantly. Just having the extraweight in the car would effect the weight transfer. Causing more weight to go to the rear. So you loose grip in a FWD car. Now the Z is the opposit. The more weight you get over the rear the better it will hook up. So that really makse no sense to me how youbeat him.

Now the 1.8T.180-hp 1.8-liter dohc 20v turbocharged inline-4. So you are telling me a180hp car beat you when the 300zx lost?
with the "z" i didn't lose any grip, they did. i started out normally until i heard their tires squeeling thats when i down shifted and floored it. hmm maybe there is something with this tactic?

with the volkswagon, yes that thing beat me i'll admit it, theres no reason to lie. how much tq does that thing have?