Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-14-2002, 08:14 PM   #106
CAptynCrunch
AF Enthusiast

Most definitly! Rx's are by far the greatest cars ever concieved! I mean a 1.3L that can be pushed to like 800+ HP!!! Oh yeah, and if i'm not mistaken the Rx-8 uses a 3! rotor engine(i could be wrong, this might be something i read long ago when it was still only rumors) and my uncle works at the local dealership, apparently it's got more power then any Rx-7 ever put out(even without a turbo) and it weighs less then the FD's did. It's suppposed to do 196 off the showroom floor. INSANE!!!!

The only thing better than cars is Music... maybe.
Old 03-14-2002, 08:45 PM   #107
xcaliber
AF Newbie

I don't know how many discussions I have had about this subject, but I still like to put in my 2 cents worth.

I like V-8's as much as anyone, but to catagorize v-8's versus 4 cylinders is ridiculous. they are completely different. The Lamborgini V-12 of 15 years ago has a worse 0-60 time than a new wrx 4 cylinder subaru. don't beleive me, then read the new sport compact car magazine.

I have beat alot of V-8's with mine. It will smoke any stock camaro in a street race. plain and simple. could a camaro beat some 4 cylinders, sure. but all? f**k no.
Old 03-14-2002, 09:11 PM   #108
AlexB
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to AlexB
Beating a stock V8 with a modified turbo car is obviously hitting below the belt... that's more rediculous than comparing i4's to V8's. Remember... nomatter what your shit is, if you have more displacement, you'll be faster. I have yet to see a 7000hp i4... you'd have to be blowing 300psi.
K&N Filtercharger
Hurst Shifter
Old 03-14-2002, 09:36 PM   #109
xcaliber
AF Newbie

a stock wrx can run 14.1 in the quarter mile. that's great, even by v8 standards, and the great thing about a smaller import style car is you don't need 7,000 hp as you would in a muscle car, because they are so much lighter. It's all about power to weight ratio. And everyone knows that racing isn't just about going straight, and you won't find better handling cars than a wrx, spec-v nissans, ect, ect.
Old 03-14-2002, 10:22 PM   #110
AlexB
AF Enthusiast

Eh dude exactly the only "racing" I respect is F1 and all that euro shit. Obviously since that takes a long time and you want a quick measure of your car's brute power, you're not going to do a 5 hour long rally.

If I were to go import, I would not get Japanese... I would go German. Porsche and BMW all the way! Shitzel shitzel not chang wang...

What the hell are you talking about? You can never get enough power. And a 7000hp muscle car would blow away any 4 banger. Most 4 bangers have trouble getting over 500hp. You could weigh a tenth as much as the muscle car and you still wouldn't beat it. Like I said there's 4 second domestic pro drags out there. How often do you see a 4 banger win something in Le Mans?

Last time I checked it was a Porsche 944 Turbo sometime in the 80's that won just the GT class? Get real races are dominated by displacement... maybe not off road rallying but that's something else. Maneuverability and traction is the game there.

And a WRX weighs 3125lbs. So get real about the weight thing you guys are smoking too much shit. And it says right here the 1/4 mile for the turbo awd is 14.7. Wow it's a freaking turbo car that doesn't surprise me... what about the 12.3 1/4 mile out of a Z06? Or Low 13's in Z28's and trans ams? I want to see a stock 4 cylinder car do that... then we talk. AND STOP COMPARING TUNED HOOKED UP CARS TO STOCK V8'S THAT'S THE GHETTOEST EXCUSES IVE EVER READ.

Don't fucking try to tell me that more displacement will not make your car faster. That is some DUMB SHIT you guys need to go to school.
K&N Filtercharger
Hurst Shifter
Old 03-14-2002, 10:41 PM   #111
LjasonL
Some Guy

Send a message via AIM to LjasonL
Quote:
Originally posted by AlexB
And it says right here the 1/4 mile for the turbo awd is 14.7. Wow it's a freaking turbo car that doesn't surprise me...
ahem... wheres that coming from? i get that in my non turbo impreza.

published times for imprezas vary wildly, and dont often show the true potential. for example of the variance in times, SCC tested wrx 0-60 as 6.2, car and driver got 5.4 out of it.
Old 03-14-2002, 11:14 PM   #112
AlexB
AF Enthusiast

If you're going to street race where maneuverability counts -- especially rally style, you should be sent to Siberia. I would pull out my 9mm and shoot you in the forehead if you're that stupid, immature, and putting people in danger.

Put your copy of Fast and the Furious down and cancel your order for that ghetto muffler off ebay. I'm not speaking to all of you guys out there but what the flying fuck are you wasting your money on... being immature and insecure? What the fuck do you have to prove out on the street? That your dick is bigger because your car is faster and you're stupid as fuck to endanger everyone around you? That's some dumbass shit. I see these wigger boys hooking up their slow piece of shit all day trying to look cool because they cant get any girls (mostly trashy bitches whose hobbies include collecting STDs) without their rust buckets and they dont have the slightest idea of how their car works... that makes me sick.

That is NOT dissing performance oriented cars like your WRX. Obviously that awd 4 banger can keep up with some V8's -- to some point. But I see faggots with 1998 Civic DX's with a system heavier than their car going around trying to act all hard. What a bunch of queerass posers. Especially the greasy ones in their doorags. Most of them have never worked on their car. They spend daddy's money at the shop and think their shit will smoke anything running 15's from their headers, muffler, and ebay bought CAI.

I used to want a GSX... turbo awd -- wow. Then I found out the faults they had -- weak center diff... 4k in it and i would still get low 13's on street equipment. That was still good enough for me but stressing out a little engine and getting it reliable just wasn't my thing. Sure you can make your i4 fast compared to some cars and for some people that may be enough. But you have to realize that without the displacement, you're going to plateau off somewhere in your modifying quest. Why can't you get your 1.6L Honda to push over a certain hp? Displacement... and you know that's the truth. And maybe it's just me but I want to go fast, I'll get something that's easy to make fast. Something that has a lot of parts readily available. Why would I want to spend more money and go slower? A slightly modified 5.0 with 2-3k will run 12's all day. Why can't a 4 cylinder engine run that NORMALLY ASPIRATED? No shit -- displacement. Stop comparing some i4's that'll beat V8's because no shit there's going to be a few exceptions that you can mix and match with different years of the cars and find out that the smaller engine beat the bigger one -- wow I'm amazed.

And to put it one way, turbos give you displacement. They flow more air so you can mix it with more gas, which a larger engine would do. It's all about how much air/fuel you flow... so obviously a larger engine WITH turbos would still flow more than a small engine with a turbo. Compare apples with apples not with oranges.

Ok alright here's a freaking quick idea... If you're running 14psi on a 2.0L engine means you're pumping in 1ATM (14psi) + the other 14psi from your turbo, and you can approximate that to about a 4L naturally aspirated engine. If you're pumping in 28psi, you can call that about a 6L engine. Screw how many cylinders it has because displacement (flow) is the name of the game. How much more can you pump? Who has the money to blow 28psi in any engine? Who would want to on the street with pump gas? That's where displacement comes in... let's say you take a 5.7L engine and pump in another 14psi... that would approximately double your stock hp right there as you will have 2 ATM not 1. So that 5.7L engine becomes as crazy as an 11.4L. Let's say you pump in the average 8psi. 8psi is about 60% of 14psi so you'll be getting 60% over your stock power.

Understand here? A 2L engine running at 2ATM will be as powerful as if it had 4L... and a 4L engine running at 2ATM would be as powerful as it if had 8L.

14psi=1atm

1atm+#atm you're force feeding=pressure going into the engine in atm(n)

n x stock hp = approximate power you'll get with turbo

IT"S ALL ABOUT FLOW and as you can see, the more displacement you have, the more you can flow.

Now who disagrees with the scientific shit above?
K&N Filtercharger
Hurst Shifter
Old 03-14-2002, 11:33 PM   #113
Neutrino
Yaya Master

Send a message via AIM to Neutrino
Quote:
Originally posted by AlexB

And to put it one way, turbos give you displacement. They flow more air so you can mix it with more gas, which a larger engine would do. It's all about how much air/fuel you flow... so obviously a larger engine WITH turbos would still flow more than a small engine with a turbo. Compare apples with apples not with oranges.

Ok alright here's a freaking quick idea... If you're running 14psi on a 2.0L engine means you're pumping in 1ATM (14psi) + the other 14psi from your turbo, and you can approximate that to about a 4L naturally aspirated engine. If you're pumping in 28psi, you can call that about a 6L engine. Screw how many cylinders it has because displacement (flow) is the name of the game. How much more can you pump? Who has the money to blow 28psi in any engine? Who would want to on the street with pump gas? That's where displacement comes in... let's say you take a 5.7L engine and pump in another 14psi... that would approximately double your stock hp right there as you will have 2 ATM not 1. So that 5.7L engine becomes as crazy as an 11.4L. Let's say you pump in the average 8psi. 8psi is about 60% of 14psi so you'll be getting 60% over your stock power.

Understand here? A 2L engine running at 2ATM will be as powerful as if it had 4L... and a 4L engine running at 2ATM would be as powerful as it if had 8L.

14psi=1atm

1atm+#atm you're force feeding=pressure going into the engine in atm(n)

n x stock hp = approximate power you'll get with turbo

IT"S ALL ABOUT FLOW and as you can see, the more displacement you have, the more you can flow.

Now who disagrees with the scientific shit above?

That is really interesting way to put it. I have't thought of it that way but I think you might be right.
Old 03-14-2002, 11:38 PM   #114
LjasonL
Some Guy

check it out this goes along with what youre saying...

my favorite is the "road test: civic dx vs corvette z06 in a supercar shootout" :hehehe: :hehe:
Old 03-14-2002, 11:47 PM   #115
AlexB
AF Enthusiast

I learned it in some book about supercharging. I thought it was interesting. I saw the same explanation on some turbo/supercharging sites. Of course it's not set in stone because there's a lot of variables involved, but if you calculate that crap closely and graph it, you will find some kind of pattern VERY CLOSE to that. As far as I know, there's 3 ways of getting flow... RPM, Dispacement, and forced induction. The cheapest obviously being displacement in most cases, followed by induction, followed by RPM. And obviously with the money we have, these things are going to plateau out. How much would it cost to have something rev up to 19,000RPM? Wouldn't it be easier to substitute that with more displacement? Depends also what you're looking for. If you have regulations like in F1 where you cant have something over a 3L engine? Or something like that... you'll try to rev up as high as you can and blow more into it in order to compensate.

Sorry if I seemed like I was import hatin or something but I'm just incredibly pissed at all the ghettoass posers-- who isnt? If your shit is fast enough for you, it's all good as long as you understand what makes shit fast and you're not a poser... those above 3 things is what you want. That's what the technology part that we were debating earlier helps you do... more flow and higher RPM. And as far as drivetrains go, awd is the shit, followed closely by a good RWD and then faroff as hell a FWD car that has thousands invested in wheels, tires, and a suspension.
K&N Filtercharger
Hurst Shifter
Old 03-14-2002, 11:54 PM   #116
LjasonL
Some Guy

one of my goals for my car is to have a 11,000 rpm redline, not for the fact of making it faster (which i already knew it would) but just cuz when some dumbass revs at me i can hit 10K or so and see their faces!

why the hell do riceboys rev everywhere they go? like theyre trying to prove something... u can be sitting at a stoplight with 5 cars in line in front of u and the dumb bastards will rev at u, then whats even worse is when they start flooring it for the 5-10 feet to the car in front like theyre racing or something. oh but my favorite is when theyre going the opposite direction and rev, like they expect u to pull a u turn just to race them (which i have done when theres no traffic just to teach the guy a lesson )
Old 03-15-2002, 02:12 AM   #117
gc1chad
AF Newbie

Second look at the specs:

Dude (AlexB), your specs are way off. Who knows where you pulled times like that from. Here are the "real" specs of the cars.

S2000 from February 2002 Road & Track Mag.

Base price$=32,000
0-60= 5.5
1/4= 14.1@99.6
skidpad=.90g
240 HP out of a 2.0 liter I-4 engine= 120 HP per liter, 9000 redline

Mustang GT from Road & Track Annual Road Test 2002

Price as tested$= 24,163
0-60= 6.1
1/4= 14.7@94.7
skidpad=.84g
260 HP out of a 4.6 liter V-8 engine= 56.52 HP per liter, 5600 redline

If you don't believe me feel free to check, its pretty obvious which of these engines is more advanced, and which one of these cars will win in a race.
Old 03-15-2002, 10:14 AM   #118
MaFi0s0
AF Regular

wtf the s2000 has a 9000rpm redline o_0
and whats the skidpad thing?

about extending revs, i think it would be mad to have a car that revs high like 10+, especially if its already loud, i would be pretty intimidated if i heard a v8 rev to 10 beside me at the lights.
but how much would this cost to do and how safe can it be, i would imagine extending the revs that much would make the car pretty stressed.
Old 03-15-2002, 01:26 PM   #119
gc1chad
AF Newbie

Yes, the s2000 does have a 9000 redline. I posted the skidpad of t he 2 cars to show that the S2000 costs more because not only is it faster and better looking than a mustang but it also kills it in handling.
Old 03-15-2002, 02:13 PM   #120
ac427cpe
two wheels

Send a message via AIM to ac427cpe
how about the cars' weights?

No more project cars. I wonder how long that will last...

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Street Racing