Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Diamante
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 08:45 PM   #1
john_chicago
AF Newbie

Synthetic Engine Oil

Any information on and/or experience using sythetic oil in the Diamante's 3.5 Liter Engine?
john_chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 10:07 AM   #2
papasmith
AF Regular

Re: Synthetic Engine Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_chicago
Any information on and/or experience using sythetic oil in the Diamante's 3.5 Liter Engine?
Thanks John for your in depth reply to my question regarding Gas Mileage for the 2002 Diamante. Maybe I can help you here with the simple response that Synthetic Oil, at the very least, improves gas economy in my Diamante by about two miles per gallon average. However, I have heard that in some rare instances synthetic oil can actually be detrimental to engine durability. I believe I read something along this line regarding the Toyota Camry but am not sure.

Generally, it is widely regarded that synthetic oils extend engine life as you probably know. But, extended durability would not be the reason for using Synthetics in my opinion. I have found that cars with well maintained engines using traditional lubricants are usually scraped or sold due to failure of other expensive components such as the transmission or just a combination of of a lot of little things.

By the way, have you had the infamous heater core problem yet??
papasmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 04:23 PM   #3
john_chicago
AF Newbie

Re: Synthetic Engine Oil

Thank you for the synthetic engine oil information, Papasmith. Absolute engine and seal compatibility is what I am more concerned with. Perhaps the benefit of using sythetic engine oil is only negligible and vehicle use span will be limited by the failure of other components, as you mentioned.

The heater core in my 2001 Diamante is good. Does this component in the Diamante have inherent issues that may lead to its failure?

Take Care
john_chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:43 AM   #4
papasmith
AF Regular

Re: Re: Synthetic Engine Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_chicago
Thank you for the synthetic engine oil information, Papasmith. Absolute engine and seal compatibility is what I am more concerned with. Perhaps the benefit of using sythetic engine oil is only negligible and vehicle use span will be limited by the failure of other components, as you mentioned.

The heater core in my 2001 Diamante is good. Does this component in the Diamante have inherent issues that may lead to its failure?

Take Care
Indeed it does. This problem is epidemic among Diamantes. Just look up heater core and diamante on the web for an overview.
papasmith is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Diamante