Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Cirrus
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 06:07 PM   #1
zm3ntal
AF Newbie

Car dying like its running out of gas...

I have a 96 chrysler cirrus 2.5L v6. 2 weeks ago i was driving it and when i would hit the gas it would bog down like it wasn't getting enough gas then it eventually died. well I replaced the PCV valve because it was clogged. After i replaced it it still wouldn't crank and stay running. Then a few days later it finally cranked and it started running just fine for a few weeks. Now its died again. I was told its either my fuel pump or catalytic convertor. Once the car cools down it usually cranks and idles for about 20 mins then once it warms up it dies again. Any ideas? thanks!.
zm3ntal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 09:11 AM   #2
s17theforce
AF Newbie

Re: Car dying like its running out of gas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm3ntal
I have a 96 chrysler cirrus 2.5L v6. 2 weeks ago i was driving it and when i would hit the gas it would bog down like it wasn't getting enough gas then it eventually died. well I replaced the PCV valve because it was clogged. After i replaced it it still wouldn't crank and stay running. Then a few days later it finally cranked and it started running just fine for a few weeks. Now its died again. I was told its either my fuel pump or catalytic convertor. Once the car cools down it usually cranks and idles for about 20 mins then once it warms up it dies again. Any ideas? thanks!.
You need to replave your EGR valve
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=158055 refer to this link.
s17theforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 06:17 PM   #3
isaacbybraille
AF Newbie

i had the same problem

the car dies like its out of gas- and once it "cools down" agian you can start it up for a while-

it was the crank shaft sensor- its a code that comes up when your computer is "forgetting" how to idle when the sensor burns out.

i fixed the replaced the sensor and my car runs fine.. good luck
isaacbybraille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 08:57 PM   #4
greywahya
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: i had the same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaacbybraille
the car dies like its out of gas- and once it "cools down" agian you can start it up for a while-

it was the crank shaft sensor- its a code that comes up when your computer is "forgetting" how to idle when the sensor burns out.

i fixed the replaced the sensor and my car runs fine.. good luck
Can

Can you or any one tell me where this is located on one of these cars..
My girl freind is haveing this same problrm and I remembered one of the sensors on the front of the engine has caused this type of prob for me before...Let me knoe where it is at..
greywahya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 06:41 PM   #5
Alldar
AF Enthusiast

wow i am having the same problem!!! lol

it goes in to the shop monday... im lazy and she needs a 30,000 check up
Alldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 07:50 PM   #6
SEvans72956
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to SEvans72956 Send a message via MSN to SEvans72956

So um...mine's a '96 Cirrus LX, 2.5L V-6 engine. It may be having the same problem as this person is, but I don't know. Here's the best I can explain it: I'll be driving along just fine and suddenly it will power down to less than 500 RPMs, maybe like 350-400, sputtering and trying to die (usually doesn't actually die) and I have to sit there for a little while, and finally it'll rev up to 2500 RPMs and be ready to run again. Any idea what that could be?
SEvans72956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 08:01 PM   #7
SEvans72956
AF Newbie

Ah, I forgot to add the fact that the following have been replaced: TPS Sensor, O2 Sensor, Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter.

I know I'm having some catalytic converter problems, because it smells like sulphur (rotten egg smell) a lot, but I don't know if that would do this to my car or not, being as it isn't always acting crappy.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:04 PM   #8
isaacbybraille
AF Newbie

so- after my crank shaft sensor was replaced - other sensors started going bad- master airflow
everyone- if you have a 96 cirrus- you just got jacked by chrysler. sell it fast. i kept mine and fixed the crank shaft sensor and am trying to sell it. no one will touch it.

one question that was posted was "where can i find the crank shaft sensor"- one mechanic told me that it was one of the hardest jobs he's ever done for being only one part to replace- this was at the chrysler dealership.
point is this: chysler/mitsubishi engines are engineered to make it impossible to work on- (try to change your spark plugs on one of these babies)
run like the plauge.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:52 PM   #9
SEvans72956
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Car dying like its running out of gas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEvans72956
Ah, I forgot to add the fact that the following have been replaced: TPS Sensor, O2 Sensor, Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter.

I know I'm having some catalytic converter problems, because it smells like sulphur (rotten egg smell) a lot, but I don't know if that would do this to my car or not, being as it isn't always acting crappy.
*Sigh* I guess I really got screwed. Pretty depressing getting a first car, my VERY first car ever, and it's a piece. I really wish I had something else now...'96 Chrysler Cirrus LX, I thought it would be cool since my friend's mom had a 96' plymouth breeze, since they're basically the same car, and it was a really good running car. I guess I was wrong.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:54 PM   #10
SEvans72956
AF Newbie

Meant to quote this: so- after my crank shaft sensor was replaced - other sensors started going bad- master airflow
everyone- if you have a 96 cirrus- you just got jacked by chrysler. sell it fast. i kept mine and fixed the crank shaft sensor and am trying to sell it. no one will touch it.

one question that was posted was "where can i find the crank shaft sensor"- one mechanic told me that it was one of the hardest jobs he's ever done for being only one part to replace- this was at the chrysler dealership.
point is this: chysler/mitsubishi engines are engineered to make it impossible to work on- (try to change your spark plugs on one of these babies)
run like the plauge.

But yeah, ya get the idea.
Old 09-18-2004, 04:12 PM   #11
Mister-X
AF Newbie

My chick has the nightmare 95. It also is a, well i'll be nice. I have heard nothing but bad things about these cars and now that I have to work on this thing it might be easyer just to get another chick with a diff car...... PS power window has short, gota take off valve covers to change plugs, it dies/stalls, sometimes the RPM's jump up about 2000 higher or so then it should, MAP sensor went out and changed it.....Easy enough, but still has same problems, and the only code that it shows is "Computer has been rescently disconnected....No amount of praying to the car Gods can fix this thing. I think it has a blue book of around $2000, and would prolly take about that much to fix all the problems it has...No one will buy it the way it is... If your thinking about buying one of these...Good Luck...
Mister-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 05:29 PM   #12
annguyen1981
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to annguyen1981

I have a 2000 Cirrus, and I love it... Ever hear of "LEMONS"??? If you bought a USED Lamorgini, and you had problems... most likely you would say that you were taken by the previous owner.

The Cirrus is a great car... Yes it has some minor problems, but ALL cars do... My previous boss bought a Lincoln Navigator, and within two years, he received three recall notices. Great SUVs, but like I said earlier, ALL CARS HAVE MINOR PROBLEMS.
annguyen1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 07:56 PM   #13
isaacbybraille
AF Newbie

the 2000 cirrus is a good car- i think that daimler/chrysler got a lot of heat and had to make a good car for a few years. I have heard good things about 2000+ chryslers. -
but I'm not backing down about the 95, 96 years- they have the worst breaking distance of any car in their class- they are impossible to work on. Saftey issues are huge especially with the small back window- (you have huge blind spots.)

Maybe a few people on this post have "lemons" but when you start to see a trend.....
Old 09-26-2004, 12:41 AM   #14
Mister-X
AF Newbie

My chicks car did the same thing in a way, check the computer codes. When you do this DO NOT turn the car on, just put the ignition in the on position. Turn the key on, off, on, off, on... then it will give you a list of codes....hers turned out to be the map sensor (Manifold Air Preasure) "code 13" but it still has the same problems and the onl code it gives me is a "code 12" ... this might help http://www.troublecodes.net/chrysler/85-95_22-25.shtml
Mister-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 06:00 PM   #15
bigj0826
AF Newbie

cps @ front of engine behind harmonic balancer
bigj0826 is offline   Reply With Quote