Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 6 Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 03:08 PM   #1
Deadrodent
AF Newbie

Can't find Power steering Reservoir on 635csi

hey everyone, i'm trying to fix my dad's car while he's away on vacation. his 635 is making a horrible power steering whine/groan and is leaking PS fluid underneath the car. I bought a few quarts of Dexron III ATF fluid to replace the fluid but I can't seem to find the PS reservoir. It doesn't help that there isn't much information about these cars on the web so I'm pretty much limited to you guys! hope you guys can help! thanks in advance!
Deadrodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 08:02 AM   #2
webmasterz
AF Newbie

What year is it 88-89 had self levelling suspension

Try a google search for E24 to throw up a few sites
E24 is the BMW model designation for 6's

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=e24...en-GB:official
Old 11-25-2005, 10:30 AM   #3
DieInterim
AF Regular

Re: Can't find Power steering Reservoir on 635csi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadrodent
hey everyone, i'm trying to fix my dad's car while he's away on vacation. his 635 is making a horrible power steering whine/groan and is leaking PS fluid underneath the car. I bought a few quarts of Dexron III ATF fluid to replace the fluid but I can't seem to find the PS reservoir. It doesn't help that there isn't much information about these cars on the web so I'm pretty much limited to you guys! hope you guys can help! thanks in advance!

Its a large gold colored container situated between the brake master cylinder and the battery. Remove the nut on top and remove the lid.

Blake
DieInterim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 10:14 AM   #4
romario
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to romario

If you email me at taffarel94@yahoo.com and tell me the year of the Shark, I'll point you to the PS reservoir by way of sending you a picture of it.

Quote:
romario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 10:16 AM   #5
romario
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to romario

Well - could be the PS gearbox, could be the hoses, could even be the break bomb. I have the same problems with my '89 635csi. Switch to Redline synthetic ATF, check all hoses (replace if necessary) and your problem should go away. There could also be air in the system that may need to be bled out of it, but I don't know how to do that. Hope this helps.

Quote:
romario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 02:43 PM   #6
CW6er
AF Newbie

The power steering reservoir is a separate cylinder located next to the fuse box and battery. remove the nut and cover and it will look empty, but this is normal! To check the level, you must first pump the brakes to discharge the accumulator back into the system. Pump them until the fluid level stops rising and the pedal gets hard (at least 20 times or more). The fluid should be 10mm or 3/8" below the top edge. As you can see, it would be easy to overfill the system and this may be one source of leaks.

There is a little known filter at the bottom of the hydraulic reservoir that, if clogged, may be causing the noises from the steering pump. Discharge the accumulator as above. Use a turkey baster to remove the ATF, pull the "c" clips on the center rod to remove the screen, spring and cover over the filter. Clean everything up, replace the filter, cover and spring (but not the screen) then refill. Run the engine to circulate the ATF then turn it off and discharge the accumulator. Remove the ATF in the reservoir and refill with fresh ATF. Do this several times to replace as much of the ATF in the system as possible. Replace the screen and cover. Hope this helps.
CW6er is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > BMW > 6 Series