Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 01:04 PM   #1
Ardan
AF Newbie

Advice needed on upgrade

Hello! Well, I usually complained about the lower and midrange sounds from my rear speakers in this 94 Cutlass Ciera S, so someone bought me two 6x9 Polk rear speakers, a newer Pioneer DEH-P5800MP deck and a 2-channel MTX amplifier for the rear speakers, whose model number is TA3202 and they had Circuit City install it. I don't know how much that cost them, but I was certainly grateful for the huge birthday gift. Aside from the deck being a LOT better (I really like how the Organic EL doesn't get washed out in sunlight), the iPod adapter makes me wonder how I went without it! The notes are mostly okay, especially lower ones, but I know it could be better. The front speakers are still the factory ones, too. Some people have told me that if I replaced the front 3.5" speakers with some good speakers that it would really help complete everything. Others have said that if I add a subwoofer to the car, it would be 'easy' since I already have an amplifier installed.

I have a Klipsch system for my computer and a very good surround system for the home theater, so I know that a good sub can really improve the overall sound. Do you think a sub would be a better choice than replacing those front speakers? I really don't want to do both of those, at least not right now. I'm torn, because the rear speakers already produce very good low notes (that make the side mirrors shake if I turn it up loud) without issues. Furthermore, wouldn't I have to buy an additional amp? Its a tough choice, because 50% of the people i've talked to say buying very good 3.5" ones are easy and will go well in situations where only the rear speakers are amplified and the other half says they are good enough and to put a good subwoofer in there to complete the sound stage. Any thoughts? I don't think i'd get some massive subwoofer if I did go that route, though. If I was, I'd probably settle for something that just simply got the job done well since its my car, not my house. As it stands, I have no idea which one would be a better option right now. I know my options are limited, too, but i'm certain I can install either speakers or a subwoofer myself. I have $300 thats going to be given to me from a relative for christmas and, while I can go over that mark, I don't think I will have to shell out money since most of it was done already in August. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by Ardan; 12-14-2006 at 01:44 AM.
Ardan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 03:04 PM   #2
PlayStation3
AF Enthusiast

Re: Advice needed on upgrade

upgrade the front and get a amp for th em
PlayStation3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 09:09 PM   #3
l_eclipse_l
AF Enthusiast

I would upgrade the front speakers. Shouldn't cost you more than $50 if you install them yourself. You will notice a pretty big difference in highs and mids.

If you get a sub, you will want another amp to run it.

Zoom Stage 1 Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjewer1
I disagree. Better is better. Bigger is just bigger.

I just made that up, and I like it.
l_eclipse_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:52 PM   #4
Ardan
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_eclipse_l
I would upgrade the front speakers. Shouldn't cost you more than $50 if you install them yourself. You will notice a pretty big difference in highs and mids.

If you get a sub, you will want another amp to run it.
Good idea. I went and actually listened to some subs and some 3.5" speakers at a local best buy and that probably would be the best idea after all. I don't think a sub would add anything in my case, especially when the front speakers are probably inadequate.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:42 AM   #5
Ardan
AF Newbie

I've narrowed the choice of speakers down to the Infinity Reference series 3.5" 3012cf speakers and the Boston Acoustics S35 3.5" ones. They are in the range of price (it will be a christmas gift a relative wanted me to pick) that I was told to be at a max of, so i'm ruling out the Kappa series of 3.5" ones from Infinity. I saw on the 'newbie info' thread that Boston was in the 'good' section and that Infinity is considered 'average.' I'm not going to try and amplify those either. I have not been able to hear the Infinity speaker, though it is at Best Buy. I can't find the Boston Acoustics S35 at any store, so it would have to be purchased through crutchfield with the hope that it sounds good. Those dash speakers totally suck and it is obvious since the rear ones are very good now so i'm not looking to go all out (especially since its a christmas gift...should be thankful as it is!) and modify my doors or something. Anyone have any opinions on those two? They're ~$10 apart and from reputable companies. A very tough choice.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:34 AM   #6
l_eclipse_l
AF Enthusiast

As a cheaper alternative to Crutchfield, you might want to check out www.etronics.com. I have personally bought some stuff from there, and was very happy with shipping times, customer service, etc.

Zoom Stage 1 Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjewer1
I disagree. Better is better. Bigger is just bigger.

I just made that up, and I like it.
l_eclipse_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 10:59 AM   #7
Ardan
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_eclipse_l
As a cheaper alternative to Crutchfield, you might want to check out www.etronics.com. I have personally bought some stuff from there, and was very happy with shipping times, customer service, etc.
Wow, I just checked that out. Thanks, its much cheaper and appears to have a larger selection.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:43 PM   #8
sickcallawayc12
AF Enthusiast

Speakers weren't meant to play the low notes which is why a sub is ideal for a good sound system. if you like the lows from the rear though, then definitely upgrade the front as they are gonna be responsible for the clarity of mids/highs. and i would amplify them also with a cheap amp like profile. Crutchfield is better treated as a place for reference unless you're buying car audio stuff for the first time.
PIAA Super Plasmas GT-X bulbs
PIAA Xtreme White bulbs
K & N drop-in filter

"Melo" and "AI". Enough said.
sickcallawayc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 03:47 PM   #9
Ardan
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickcallawayc12
Speakers weren't meant to play the low notes which is why a sub is ideal for a good sound system. if you like the lows from the rear though, then definitely upgrade the front as they are gonna be responsible for the clarity of mids/highs. and i would amplify them also with a cheap amp like profile. Crutchfield is better treated as a place for reference unless you're buying car audio stuff for the first time.
Yes, I know why a sub would be a good addition, thanks. I have a good one for home theater and a good one for my PC. I ruled out a sub after coming to the conclusion earlier that I didn't want to add another amplifier and sub because the bass is already superb from the amplified rear speakers. What CAN be improved, however, is new dash speakers for better mids and highs, yes.

I decided on the Boston Acoustics 3.5" S35 speakers because a lot of people have told me that the Infinity Refence ones have a very 'harsh' tweeter. Most have told me the S35 sounds better and produces the best mids and highs for its size speaker. A friend has complained about two 3.5" Infinity speakers he's had for a while, and I didn't realize he had the Kappa 3.5" ones. In his experience, they sounded good but distorted quickly as the volume is turned up (distorted at a lower volume level than the factory ones), but I agree with him that the ones in the back, 6x9s, sound fantastic. I respect his opinion more than most people, and he's very good at car audio installs. He works at Circuit City's roadshop while going through a bachelor degree program and is the one that helped me install an amp for my rear speakers. He has told me before that buying replacement dash speakers would make it a good, well rounded system more than adding a sub to it (I just talked to him 3 minutes ago). I think that perhaps i've gotten enough opinions on the matter, so there we have it! Thanks for the replies and to that one guy that suggested the other site, etronics.com. That will save me a bundle, for sure!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio