Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 11:24 AM   #1
Kalidor
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Kalidor
'01 Caravan SE whining noise

Hello and good morning!

Now I've searched this forum about the problem I am experiencing and I am not sure that any of the posts I read really apply. So please excuse me if I am posting about something that has already been answered.

This Caravan has 68k miles and up until recently the whining noise I hear only happened when cold starting the car on a cold day. Just yesterday it also started to make some kind of a rattling sound in addition.

The original whining noise lasts only for a few seconds when cold starting, the new rattling sound also only happens when cold starting but lasts quite a bit longer (about 20 seconds). Can any of you advise me on what is going on with my vehicle?
Old 12-29-2006, 07:02 PM   #2
twistedtech
AF Regular

Re: '01 Caravan SE whining noise

Just a little more info would be great.Have a few ideas,or thoughts I should say.Engine size,climate yadda yadda.

Even at a Mensa convention,
Someone's the dumbest person in the room.
twistedtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:43 AM   #3
Kalidor
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Kalidor

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtech
Just a little more info would be great.Have a few ideas,or thoughts I should say.Engine size,climate yadda yadda.
Sorry for the omission of more details... Engine is the 3.3 V6, climate... well, upstate NY, rather wet this year.

The rattling went away when it got a little warmer again, the whining from the left side of the engine is still there. Even with a hose it is rather difficult to pinpoint where it comes from, since it only lasts a few seconds.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:52 PM   #4
Rawtorque
AF Newbie

When you say left do you mean driver's side? If so, check your automatic Transmission fliud level. This is best done in Neutral, warmed up, with engine running, so you need a helper to stand on the brakes for safety.

NEVER DEPEND ON WHEEL BLOCKS OR PARKING BRAKE WHEN DOING THIS!!! Get a helper.

If you haven't changed the trans fluid in a while the filter could be plugged. Use a quality filter, Mopar or Transtar, and ATF+4 fluid. Viscosity changes in old fluid can make cold fluid flow worse.

Now, if it's the left side looking at the front bumper (front passenger side), it may be the power steering, serpentine belt idler bearing, alternator bearing, etc.

Flushing the power steering is a good idea if you've never done it. It also builds up crud.
Rawtorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 08:55 AM   #5
Stu the blue
AF Newbie

I have the same problem and live in the same sort of place.Mine just sounds like the starter not disengaging upon cold start up, normally when it is below freezing point.Through the summer we have no trouble with it, and the same when the engine is warm. I am waiting for the starter to show signs that it is wearing out before replacing.
Stu the blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:09 AM   #6
appstech
AF Newbie

Is the noise comming from the alternator pulley? A good way to check this is to rev the engine up to about 3000 or 4000 rpm and then shut it off. This vehicle is designed to allow the alternator to internally spin or coast to a stop. If there is a noise after shutdown for a few seconds then it is most likely the alternator deocupler creating the noise. 2001 was the first year (V6 only) that came with the alternator decoupler pulley. This special pulley has a spring and clutch inside and helps reduce noise and vibration while extending belt life. These pulleys can be replaced on their own (without having to replace the entire alternator). They are available through Goodyear. The goodyear part number is 49911. You will need a 17mm hex allen key on an impact gun to remove the alternator decoupler. It is not very hard to replace. If you would like to read more about the decoupler function you can go to this website.

http://www.tendeco.com/website/decou...ecouplers.html
appstech is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager