Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Beetle - Air Cooled > Type 1
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 06:53 AM   #1
cattail3
AF Newbie

Parking Break Frozen

I own a 1974 VW Super Beatle. I never use the parking break.... I was taught to put the car in gear instead of using the parking break. The other day (temp about 60) I was out and about and caught a red light on a hill. I put the PK on because I was reaching for something in the back seat. When the light changed I released the break and proceeded.... only to hear a "squeeking" sound..... it was the PK..... it did not disengage when I released the lever. The car is now inside my garage and the break is still engaged....... any directions on how I might be able to address this issue?
THANK YOU!
cattail3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
denisond3
AF Enthusiast

Re: Parking Break Frozen

This same problem used to occur a LOT, when there were lots of original beetles on the road. It was most common with the later ones having automatic transmissions, but even with the manual trans - the cables would eventually 'not-release'. Using them daily helped.
The problem is corrosion in the cables, usually where they run outside, between the mid part of the belly pan and the brake drum. You can buy new cables, (though it may take a little internet searching to buy new cables for your 29 year old vehicle). Installing them is a good bit of work though. You have to remove the cable from its attachment at the handle mechanism, and remove it from the brake drum too. That involves removing the drum, the brake shoes, and fighting the cable out of the lever that it pulls on inside the drum.
My VWs were from the 60's, and the later ones may be different, But If Not - getting the drum off involves removing a large nut, and using a good sized puller to haul the drum off of the end of the axle. Its enough of a chore to do that I would advise you also replace the wheel cylinder at the same time, and any of the springs that are rusty. And unscrewing the flare nut on the brake line from the wheel cylinder may be impossible - which just means you get to replace the brake line at the wheel cylinder, & possibly the brake hose running to the belly pan; maybe even the brake lines (the metal lines) running up to the master cylinder at the front of the pan.

In the meantime - that stuck handbrake may eventually loosen its grip on the brake shoes inside the drum, to let you drive the car around. Then your worry is that at some traffic stop, or parking on a hill, or at the station where annual safety inspections are done - may involve hauling the handbrake lever up again - and causing the brake cables to be tensioned, and preventing the car from moving.

If you think you will be able to lubricate the cables without removing them - bear in mind that thousands of prior owners of beetles had the same idea. Once a cable is corroded - its not feasible to get it lubed and freed up. If you try to do it - the cable still needs to be off the car for putting the cable into a jig, soaked in a solvent like gasoline or kerosene, and the inner cable dragged back and forth many many times.
Good Luck with your elegant VW.
denisond3 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Beetle - Air Cooled > Type 1