Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Grand Marquis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 02:37 AM   #1
janet83
AF Newbie

HELP!!!! i need a pro for this car

hi i now own a 97 mgm with over 130,000 miles. i have been driving around in the past year with the check engine light on. it stays on continus and flashes had in the shop twice.thats the least of the promblem.to put it nice the car is running like crap for a v8 it dont want to start it just dont want to go when i feather the gas pedal the whole car will shudder then kicks in it does it mostly at lower speeds 45mph.i noticed there is a rotten egg smell i have taken it to 2 different places and have had the following things done trans flush both coil packs replaced egr replaced new sparks and wires they took apart something in the engine and cleaned it dont rember specs they have ran the codes and #1 cylinder is misfiring just dont know what the hell it is it could be one in a million things wrong . i miss my toyo so much easier to fix any ideas would greatly help
I live down a lime stone road lot of dust and a very irresponsiable person drove this car on empty for about 8 months wondering if any of these things would contribute to my promblems
janet83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 06:46 AM   #2
Huney1
AF Enthusiast

Re: HELP!!!! i need a pro for this car

1. The catalytic converter could be partially plugged up, usually runs better when cold then as it heats up it runs worse. 2. The MAFS could be dirty - Mass Air Flow Sensor. 3. The transmission filter could be dirty starving the torque converter for fluid and the filter should have been cleaned or replaced when they did the flush. 4. Has the fuel filter been changed in the last 30K miles and has the air filter been replaced. Hesitation when accelerating sounds like it's starving for fuel which could be caused by a dirty fuel filter or dirty MAFS. The shudder sounds like the tranny is starving for fluid or the clutches are worn. Lucas transmission additive stops shuddering so I'd put in some and drive it a few days and see if it gets better. You can find it at Advance Auto Parts and other parts stors. It isn't cheap but it's good: http://lucasoil.hodgsoncorp.com/slip...ansmission.htm
http://www.midwayautosupply.com/show...iliateid=10050

The CEL will set codes, did they pull the error codes and if so give the code numbers please becasue they are very important for diagnosing problems. You said you had it in the shop, was it a modern shop with computer analyzers or a shade tree garage. Pull the reciept and tell us exactly what they did, parts cleaned or replaced and results of the computer analysis.

Sorry you're having problems and we'll be glad to help best we can so please provide the info I requested and we'll go from there. Have a nice week end and keep the faith. The Marquis will go 200K miles easy and when you get it squared away you'll love it.

PS Pull the tranny dip stick and smell it then wipe it on a white paper towel. Does it have a burnt smell and on the towel is it brownish or real reddish pinkish color. Shouldn't smell burnt and color should be reddish pinkish, definitely not a dark burgundy color or brown. Just trying to get a feel for whats going on here but without hands on advantage the more info we have to work with the better.
Huney1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercury > Grand Marquis