Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Sonata
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 09:05 PM   #1
Rhondas
AF Newbie

Red face fuel injector cleaning rip off or not

Hi I just had a new timing belt installed at 50K No charge because it jumped teeth I pulled the sevice bullitons ans there was one for the timin cover to be replaced with one with a guide in it, they did that also, and I get the car home and 1 week later engine light pops on, ok back to the car dealer note, this is a 2001 bought new sonata 4 cyl they the deal hits me with a $113.00 fuel injection cleaning bill , any they say thats what caused the red eng light to come on and they also did free of charge a throttle body carbon cleaning, I have changed my oil at every 3000 mls and with a filter and never abused this car with hiway driving, Did I get ripped off $$$$?
Rhondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 09:14 PM   #2
andrew348
AF Regular

Re: fuel injector cleaning rip off or not

did they happen to mention what caused the light to go on specifically what code was stored in the ecu
andrew348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 09:17 PM   #3
Rhondas
AF Newbie

Re: Re: fuel injector cleaning rip off or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew348
did they happen to mention what caused the light to go on specifically what code was stored in the ecu
Yes its in the write up on the receipt,it seemed to point to fuel injection missing
Old 06-17-2004, 09:21 PM   #4
joebowlr21
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to joebowlr21
Yo dude you got ripped!

I use to work at a Jiffy lube, and we did that service as an option for the customer.Sure you might noticed a bit better throttle response and maybe a hint at better gas mileage, but nothing more.Most places do that fuel injection cleaning for 49.99 or even lower if they are desperate for a sale.trust me, we use to get bonuses for selling more services each month.

Go back and tell them that you never wanted that done to your vehicle.It is not required at all.No check engine light will come on if you injectors need cleaning.It's bullshyt.If anything cleaning the injectors an throttle body will cause the check engine light to come on.Believe me dude, go back and tell them u never wanted that service done and you want to talk to the manager about it.Tell them they never quoted you on the cost for any of it.Also, tell them you have a buddy that works at a Jiffy lube and he knows what he is talking about.They will tell you jiffy lube doesn't kno shyt, but hell we knew more then the dealer did.We always had customers complain to us about the dealer ripping them off.
joebowlr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 09:21 PM   #5
Rhondas
AF Newbie

do you know if its possible with only 50K
Old 06-17-2004, 09:31 PM   #6
Rhondas
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebowlr21
Yo dude you got ripped!

I use to work at a Jiffy lube, and we did that service as an option for the customer.Sure you might noticed a bit better throttle response and maybe a hint at better gas mileage, but nothing more.Most places do that fuel injection cleaning for 49.99 or even lower if they are desperate for a sale.trust me, we use to get bonuses for selling more services each month.

Go back and tell them that you never wanted that done to your vehicle.It is not required at all.No check engine light will come on if you injectors need cleaning.It's bullshyt.If anything cleaning the injectors an throttle body will cause the check engine light to come on.Believe me dude, go back and tell them u never wanted that service done and you want to talk to the manager about it.Tell them they never quoted you on the cost for any of it.Also, tell them you have a buddy that works at a Jiffy lube and he knows what he is talking about.They will tell you jiffy lube doesn't kno shyt, but hell we knew more then the dealer did.We always had customers complain to us about the dealer ripping them off.
I know yur right but I paid them after arguing about it because I needed the car back for my wife to go to work with, and Im still trying to figure out if being that about 2 months ago on sevice I had the fuel filter changed and I dont really belive they did it, will that cause the injectors to get clogged with only 50k on it even if they didnt change it I cant prove it its under the car.I know they rip you off all the time but they sorta got ya by the Balls.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:36 PM   #7
andrew348
AF Regular

for all its worth heres my opinion and i may only be a factory trained tech not a jiffy lube tech . lol had to throw it in just for fun , If a fuel injector is said to be clogged causing a missfire code then the cloged injector should of been replaced uner the 5 60 warranty , unless the injector was clogged by foreign material IE sugar in the gastank or somthing like that . However it is a good idea to clean the injectors , and depending on which method they use . method 1 49.99 spray some stuff in the throttle and call it a day . method 2 disconnect the fuel system and run the vechicle with a pressurized , solvent gas mixture 149.99
but i absolutly think and know for a fact that they need to get you to say yes before they do the work .
Old 06-17-2004, 09:57 PM   #8
Rhondas
AF Newbie

Thanks and I know youre right, but I was in catch 22 and the wife need thecar so I told them to do it and if i DIDNT , would they have givin me the car back with the light on? also I thought I can pay then complain to the company when I get the car back and if the light comes on in week or os I really have a
goodcase against them
Old 06-17-2004, 10:11 PM   #9
andrew348
AF Regular

hyundai consumer affairs 800-633-5151 (5:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. Pacific Standard Time

i can only talk about the dealer i workat .

having worked at several dealers i have a good feeling that if u sit down with the mnager and tell him u feel ripped off he will take care of you . we dont try and screw people . just like any business we need cust to come through the door . for the most part i think people either like our servic or they hate us veery few in between . in good faith with an open unfustraited mind talk to the manager in person . if u dont get anyware with him call consumer affairs (number above ) they help to keep us honest and u happy . on occation they have even been able to get money reembursed
excuse the spelling i work inside the worlds largest ez bake oven all day slaving over hyundai s lol
Old 06-26-2004, 04:27 PM   #10
GTPSPEED
BOSTONjoe98gs

i also worked at jiffy lube,49.99,and i did really work good,it was probably the only thing that did there

ubend delete
3in jimmyC downpipe
magnaflow high flow cat
Joeflo CIA (made it myself)
free bypass mod
3.4 pulley from zzp
Gates premium belt
1 step colder plugs
zzp PCM
ss 409 xl turbo mufflers
GTPSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 01:27 AM   #11
ProjectEF
AF Newbie

Car dealers are all the same...Just be glad you didnt get the car from Fast Tony's Used Automall lol or you would never have enough to fix it.
ProjectEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 05:26 PM   #12
PhlatulentPhreddy
AF Enthusiast

And a gas filter is for? Had a Dodge with 170,000 miles that blew a head gasket and died finally after 12 years. I NEVER had that done. A bottle of STP once in a while. Never a problem on that car or any other and I've driven a few. If it ain't broke don't fix this. Can you say STEALER?
PhlatulentPhreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #13
montana1
AF Newbie

To all,
You must check this out.
If you think the Automotive Dealerships can scam you, or did,
it is a must read!!!!!!!! Do not let it happen again.
Pass it on to all you know.

Last edited by '97ventureowner; 02-05-2010 at 07:29 AM. Reason: removal of link
montana1 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Sonata