Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Expedition
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 05:37 AM   #1
Lockgirl
AF Newbie

Question 2003 Expedition w/DVD - Help !

Just got back from my "car guy". Here's the story...
I have a factory radio and factory DVD rear player. When he attempts to install a new radio (ANY radio), the audio goes out in the DVD. In my case, the radio is a Pioneer AVHP6500 (am/fm/cd/dvd). I'm also having the touch screen navigation put in, but he says that has nothing to do with this problem.

I know nothing about this stuff but he showed me the back of my factory radio. There are three places that wiring harnesses hook up to. The one in question is the middle one.

He showed me what was faxed from Pioneer - it was a schematic of what each wire did in that harness. He is able to "jump" the video portion but any attempts to get the audio back to the dvd are unsuccessful.

Does not make much sense to me! The Ford parts guy tells me that the two factory units (radio/dvd) will only work together and there is no wiring harness available to enable other manufacturers parts.

What is everyone who has a factory dvd going to do when they want to upgrade their radio? Based on what I'm being told, we're all SOL...

Anyone know what the anwer is?

Thanks again,
Jeanne
Lockgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 03:09 PM   #2
2003BigBlackExpy
AF Newbie

Lightbulb "Stereo Guy" is telling the truth!

I have a 2003 Expedition. It came with teh factory 6CD changer and rear seat entertainment system like yours. I just had the 7" touch screen pioneer unit installed and my stereo guy told me the same thing. I checked with Ford like you did, and I also checked every single wire coming out of the harness in teh back of the rear TV, and I had no luck figuring it out. What I am trying to say simply is that you cannot use the factory TV with an aftermarket headunit. I am sorry, If you have any other stereo questions feel free to throw them my way. I think we could be very good resources to each other seeing as we have the same vechicle and a similar headunit. Take Care and keep up teh good work!!
2003BigBlackExpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 01:37 PM   #3
dastardlydeed
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to dastardlydeed
wiring harness HELP

i hope maybe you have found a solution to your problem because i am having a similar one.

i bought a 2003 expedition and my husband was trying to install a pioneer deck. we bought the wiring harness kit made for my year/make/model truck and it doesnt fit. cant seem to find ANY that will. any ideas????????

HELP!
dastardlydeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 06:30 AM   #4
2003BigBlackExpy
AF Newbie

Thumbs up 2003 Expy Wiring Harness

There is already a wiring harness on teh market for a 2003 Expedition. You may have purchased a harness that is labeled "1999-2003 Expedition and F-150"... this is true for the '99 - '03 F-150 but is wrong for the '03 Expedition. The 2003 Expedition has a different wiring harness than the 2003 F-150. You need to take that harness back whereever you bought it from and inform that you need a wiring harness for a 2003 Expedition. Remember, the label on the harness should not say "1999 - 2003 F150 and Expedition" that would be the wrong one. It should only be labeled 2003 Expedition/ 03 Expedition & Navigator. I hope this helped...if you need an assistance with the Pioneer install give me a call...I actually have the new 7" touch screen TV/DVD in my Expy and last years model (7" w/ no touch screen) so I can assist you with either unit. Have a great Day.....
2003BigBlackExpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 09:26 AM   #5
brian.mcdonald
AF Newbie

Hi,
I just purchased my '04 Expedition and have the 6 disc changer w/ rear DVD system. I wanted to add a LCD in the front. Is there a way to run another output from the rear DVD or will I have to purchase a new DVD receiver and LCD.

Also, have you guys found a work-a-round for your wiring issues?
brian.mcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 07:13 PM   #6
Doug McGill
AF Newbie

ok i have the same exact setup as you.....2003 expedition with factory dvd player and aftermarket audio system. all you have to do to get the two things working in order is in the console in the back seat you have to press the audio/video button (The one with the headphones and speaker) then you can watch the dvd and have someone else listen to the radio at the same time
Doug McGill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 05:23 PM   #7
00gixxer
AF Newbie

i have it!!!

i just got done putting in a avic n1 in a 2003 expedition, it had the indash 6 disc changer and rear dvd. to get the back dvd to work with out using front radio. looking at the top of the radio the right has a drk green with black tracer cut it and t-tap it into pink wire on left plug, tapping the end going into the car tap int the pink wire. cap off the the lead coming off the radio. this will allow you to use the dvd in rear with out interupting the radio or cd function. it will stop dvd audio playing trought factory unit unless you use after market radio with line input or a switch that is diode isolated. the wire harness for 03 exp manu. after march of 03 is from metra 70-5520 and kit is 99-5026.
i hope this helps

Gixxer
00gixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 11:03 AM   #8
terrytam
AF Newbie

Re: 2003 Expedition w/DVD - Help !

HAS ANYONE SUCCESSFULLY ADDED MONITORS TO STOCK DVD PLAYER ON 2005 FORD EXPEDITION, WHICH DOES "NOT" HAVE RCA OUTPUTS BUT RATHER OEM WIRE CONNECTORS FROM DVD TO MONITOR? ANY ADAPTERS AVAILABLE? HELP!!!!
TERRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.mcdonald
Hi,
I just purchased my '04 Expedition and have the 6 disc changer w/ rear DVD system. I wanted to add a LCD in the front. Is there a way to run another output from the rear DVD or will I have to purchase a new DVD receiver and LCD.

Also, have you guys found a work-a-round for your wiring issues?
terrytam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 06:41 PM   #9
typhoone
AF Newbie

i just purchased a 2003 eb expedition. It has everything but DVD entertainment system. Kids would not accept this. So I purchased one from ebay. As you know it doesnt come with wiring harness. Do you think my expy would have the wiring harness/plug already there when they(installers) cut into the ceiling. Or will they have to run power and just use fm modulator. I also have 6 cd changer if that matters. I pray it's just cutting the hole, mounting the system and the plug being there. Any 1 in this situation? Any info appreciated.
typhoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:59 PM   #10
typhoone
AF Newbie

i should have said that the dvd i purchased from ebay is a factory oem dvd for a ford expedition 03 which i have.
typhoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:33 AM   #11
fusion27
AF Newbie

Has Anyone Successfully Added Monitors To Stock Dvd Player On 2003 Ford Expedition, Which Does "not" Have Rca Outputs But Rather Oem Wire Connectors From Dvd To Monitor? Any Adapters Available? Help!!!!

Roy
fusion27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:58 PM   #12
jbarah05
AF Newbie

for all you guys that are adding after market decks to your 01-08 expedition with the rear DVD in the back you need a interface to have it work with your after market decks it about 150 dollars online and you need it in order to work the audio on the dvd. this is the only way your stock dvd entertainment system will work. I had a kenwood 7 lcd installed and i tried to get my dvd audio going but i ended up going to a audio installtion store that specializes in all ford models and they installed the interface and i havnt had trouble sense
hope this helps
jbarah05 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Expedition