Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 05:39 PM   #1
capehoorn
AF Newbie

P1698 Code ? entire instrument cluster dead

1999 T&C LXI. The entire instrument cluster quit working today along with radio control buttons on back of steering wheel. Two months ago the instrument cluster lights quit working. The dealer service department cleaned the electrical plug connection on the back of the instument cluster and the lights worked again. What could this be? Autozone's code reader found code number P1698 but they said they didn't know what that meant. Can anyone identify possible solution?
capehoorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:56 PM   #2
capehoorn
AF Newbie

Re: P1698 Code ? entire instrument cluster dead

After further searching on this topic I found the problem to be an open solder joint. Two hours of my time and zero money out of pocket problem fixed.
Thank You for all the info on this forum.
capehoorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:23 PM   #3
lbagley
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by capehoorn
After further searching on this topic I found the problem to be an open solder joint. Two hours of my time and zero money out of pocket problem fixed.
Thank You for all the info on this forum.

where did you find this solder problem?

Thanks
lbagley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:41 AM   #4
Andysigrist
AF Newbie

Hello,

I have the same problem. Can you tell me where the solder joint was that you fixed.

Andy
Andysigrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:02 PM   #5
Vieyra
AF Newbie

Yes I have the same problem , can you tell me where to start my search, some times I kick under the drivers panel and works but your help will be appreciated
Vieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:17 AM   #6
RIP
AF -Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vieyra View Post
Yes I have the same problem , can you tell me where to start my search, some times I kick under the drivers panel and works but your help will be appreciated
You would have been better off starting your own new thread but you're here so here we go. First this applies mainly to 3rd generation Chrysler Corp minivans (96-00) but can happen on newer vans. What model year is your van?

There is every chance you have a bad connection caused by cracked solder joints on the instrument cluster circuit board specifically where the connector is soldered to the circuit board. You'll find many posts on this subject in this and other forums. Here's a few links to more info on the subject:
http://www.obdii.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002928.html (Example of verified fix)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/landar/ (Procedure to get at the cluster and make the fix) Open "98 T&C dash removal" in right column then click "slideshow" at upper right.

Other possibilities:
> Melted connector on climate control panel (HVAC Panel)
> Poor connection or damaged wiring between PCM, TCM, BCM and instruments cluster
> Faulty BCM

All of these possible faults are associated with the CCD data bus. Your P1698 is a data bus fault. The data bus is used as a communications path by all of the electronic modules to communicate to and from each other. If a fault exists anywhere on the bus seemingly unrelated problems pop up. Judging by what I've read for the past 7 years the single most fail prone point in the system is the instrument cluster connection.

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager