Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 06:36 AM   #1
sizzilinS7
AF Regular

Can you fit 20"s on an RSX???

A friend of mine is getting an Acura RSX and he plans to put 20" Giovanna Cassinos and I told him it my take sme work but I thought it would ask some poeple who would know. He also told me he would put some pirreli PZeros on it and was wondering what would have to be done to pull it off. Here are some of his other plans for it:

1. Two Sparco leather racing seats
2. Momo steering wheel
3. Momo pedals and shift knob
4. Alpine pop-up screen and stereo system (he is going to take out the back seat for this)
5. Xenon headlamps
6. Two-tone piant

Sorry about my grammer, I just noticed it when writing this post and its a real pain to correct it. Oh well
sizzilinS7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 07:13 AM   #2
CivicSiRacer
Civic Mod

Send a message via ICQ to CivicSiRacer Send a message via AIM to CivicSiRacer
Re: Can you fit 20"s on an RSX???

Quote:
Originally posted by sizzilinS7
A friend of mine is getting an Acura RSX and he plans to put 20" Giovanna Cassinos and I told him it my take sme work but I thought it would ask some poeple who would know. He also told me he would put some pirreli PZeros on it and was wondering what would have to be done to pull it off. Here are some of his other plans for it:

1. Two Sparco leather racing seats
2. Momo steering wheel
3. Momo pedals and shift knob
4. Alpine pop-up screen and stereo system (he is going to take out the back seat for this)
5. Xenon headlamps
6. Two-tone piant

Sorry about my grammer, I just noticed it when writing this post and its a real pain to correct it. Oh well
Why would you want to put power sucking huge wheels on a nice car like the RSX? Larger wheels just makes a car slower, and then you have to fork out the ungodly prices for those tires. Then you put extra wear on your suspension and drivetrain components.

But in most cases you would have to roll the fenders, and prolly modify the control arms.
Buy my Civic parts!
CivicSiRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 01:56 PM   #3
sizzilinS7
AF Regular

Thanks for the help, I guess.
sizzilinS7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2003, 04:15 PM   #4
Dezoris
Mod for life

Send a message via AIM to Dezoris
Re: Re: Can you fit 20"s on an RSX???

Quote:
Originally posted by CivicSiRacer

Why would you want to put power sucking huge wheels on a nice car like the RSX? Larger wheels just makes a car slower, and then you have to fork out the ungodly prices for those tires. Then you put extra wear on your suspension and drivetrain components.

But in most cases you would have to roll the fenders, and prolly modify the control arms.
On top of that good luck finding a camber kit to adjust if the car is lowered.

He is better off with a truck if he is throwing 20z on that car.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:31 PM   #5
CraniumDesigns
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to CraniumDesigns
20's on an RSX? Why not just throw a civic DX engine in there? Sure it MIGHT (MIGHT!) look cool, but not only will they look HUGE on that car, but if he's gonna do that, he shouldn't spend over $20k on a fast 4 banger like that if he's just gonna slow it down with over 250 lbs in wheels and tires. plus he's gonna go through tires super fast.

i don't know man. i might do it if it was purely a non-driven show car, just to be unique, but for daily dirving purposes, he's gonna get laughed at by anyone who knows anything about cars. just a warning.

if he wants big, he should get 17's or 18's and stick with those.
www.craniumdesigns.com
CraniumDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 01:01 AM   #6
Ferio_EK
AF Newbie

i would think you would have to do some work and even if your friend got them on... they would give a terrible ride and he would rub like a mo fo.
Ferio_EK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 03:18 PM   #7
Superbeetleman
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by Ferio_EK
even if your friend got them on... they would give a terrible ride and he would rub like a mo fo.
word
Old 03-20-2003, 03:05 PM   #8
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi
ya know what i don't get?

why no one seems to mind if you put a set of axis 19s on an rsx, but it's a big deal if you put 20s on it...

i'm not a 20s on imports kinda guy, but i love 18 and 19 inch rims if it's done right...

the problem with 20s isn't so much in height and what not, but i dont know that you can find a 20x7 inch rim, which is what you'd need to not rub...

that's where offset becomes very important...
flylwsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2003, 07:29 PM   #9
Superbeetleman
AF Newbie

I personally do have a problem with anything over 16s. You dont get any better handling past that. What you do get is extra weight and more rotational mass. Rotational mass kills with anything bigger. Chrome 20s + rotational mass + RSX = slow terd. Like what was stated earlier. Why spend so much money for a fast car just to make it slow in the end? Just doesn't make sense to me or probably 80% of this forum. But I guess if you have stupid money than it really doesn't matter.....I wish I had stupid money
Old 03-20-2003, 09:51 PM   #10
Ferio_EK
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by Superbeetleman
I personally do have a problem with anything over 16s. You dont get any better handling past that. What you do get is extra weight and more rotational mass. Rotational mass kills with anything bigger. Chrome 20s + rotational mass + RSX = slow terd. Like what was stated earlier. Why spend so much money for a fast car just to make it slow in the end? Just doesn't make sense to me or probably 80% of this forum. But I guess if you have stupid money than it really doesn't matter.....I wish I had stupid money
i agree with you but you need to turn that 16 into a 17... 17's give better handling than nearly all wheels on a civic(i have a study on this... i'll try to dig up the link). the ride isn't as good but the handling is great. 18's and up are pretty much poo on a honda imo.
Ferio_EK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 09:22 AM   #11
IM4U2NV81
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to IM4U2NV81
I don't remember the guy asking for criticism. I think he asked if 20's would fit on an RSX. I am pretty sure with removing the back seat to do a stereo setup, he's not too worried about performance. Some people do buy imports for looks. So, you wouldn't do it, so what. I think 20's will fit on the ride at stock height. However, it will also raise the actual height of the vehicle about 2 more inches. If you plan on lowering it, I would get adjustable coilovers. That way, you could dial in your stance with such a large wheel. If you don't lower it much (which you won't be able to) the camber shouldn't be such an issue. But, even if it is a little off, for the price of Pirelli's rubberbands, I would invest in a kit. You may encounter trouble with your tires rubbing inside while turning because of the larger overall diameter. I am assuming you will have to get rid of the inner fender at least. best of luck.
IM4U2NV81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 02:49 PM   #12
Superbeetleman
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by Ferio_EK

i agree with you but you need to turn that 16 into a 17... 17's give better handling than nearly all wheels on a civic(i have a study on this... i'll try to dig up the link). the ride isn't as good but the handling is great. 18's and up are pretty much poo on a honda imo.
Cool. Post that link. I'm always in the mood to learn something new, or to be corrected when I'm wrong. You pretty much open yourself up to be critisied when you ask about putting 20 on a RSX on a honda board. My opinion anyways
Old 03-22-2003, 10:35 AM   #13
flylwsi
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to flylwsi
it really depends on the weight...

why do you think the btcc runs super light 19s on their cars? amazing handling, no flex in the tire...

it depends on the weight. there's 19s that are lighter than 16s, and i'd go that route given the cash...

if you're going all out, go for the size and weight that optimizes your handling AND acceleration.

and yeah, big blingy chrome 20s are meant for speed. they're meant to be drooled on.
flylwsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 03:32 AM   #14
hondacivic4drlx
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to hondacivic4drlx
you guys are all idiots, ddue pay the money and get 20's take pictures and show these retards an rsx on 20's. with money you can do anything, they might have to cunstruct a rear wheel wel but it can be done. minor modificatrion might be dome but i think its worth it.
Old 05-28-2003, 05:49 PM   #15
pearldrop
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to pearldrop
Anything is possible, here is a 96 civic sitting flat on the ground with 18s in front and 20s in the back. Next year he wants to move up to 22's.

pearldrop87@hotmail.com
pearldrop is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Tires and Wheels