Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Off-Topic Talk about anything other than cars.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 08:39 AM   #1
Bodack
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Bodack
Chalk Up Another One For The Good Guys (Race Story)

Last night on the way back from the movie theater I decided to take the long route so I just have a nice ride home instead of the Interstate. And out of nowhere this guy in an Accord (1995-1996 4-cyl auto.) flys by me and then slows down as to seemingly insult me. He had nothing done to it that I could tell, not even a tip. Just to see if he was for real, I sped up next to him and he guns it. Now I wasn't about to downshift right then and get beat because he got a jump on me. Then like Heaven shining down, the upcoming light turns red. I crept up to him real slow like and rev a bit. He knows what's coming next, and so do I. My foot started getting really jumpy because I knew that I had to get him on the launch (without too much squeal to attract a cop's attention) because that's what manuals are for, plus he had a bit of torque over me too. I launched only with minimal chirp across the white restriction line and had him from stop until about 70-80. My head felt so big after that, even though it was a Honda. There isn't much race action here, so it was a great night. +1 for DSMs.

1990 Talon TSi AWD - Sold
1990 Laser RS turbo - Sold
1993 Eclipse GS - Sold
Bodack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 09:51 AM   #2
Blackcrow64
AF Moderator

Re: Chalk Up Another One For The Good Guys (Race Story)

Yay for DSM's!!

I smoked a WRX yesterday. Let's make it +2.

lol
  • 05 Cobalt LS sold
  • 02 Tahoe LT sold
  • 06 Cadillac STS4 AWD sold
  • 03 Corvette Z06
  • 14 Silverado 1500
Blackcrow64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 03:19 PM   #3
GTPSPEED
BOSTONjoe98gs

i got roasted by a delivery truck a big one too

ubend delete
3in jimmyC downpipe
magnaflow high flow cat
Joeflo CIA (made it myself)
free bypass mod
3.4 pulley from zzp
Gates premium belt
1 step colder plugs
zzp PCM
ss 409 xl turbo mufflers
GTPSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 07:36 PM   #4
MexRocket
AF Enthusiast

mine is in the garage...... AHHHH
Being bought in two weeks: Dsmlink,880's,3"exhaust,piping,suspension,axel,dri lled and slotted brakes.
MexRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 09:22 PM   #5
Bodack
AF Regular

Re: Re: Chalk Up Another One For The Good Guys (Race Story)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonjoe98gs
i got roasted by a delivery truck a big one too
Ouch....
In other news, some kid at the mall was talking up this dude's Civic Si. I asked what all he had in it. The guy: "It's got an intake. It's got 197 HP though." I nearly exploded on the guy. I don't know a lot about Hondas, but I've read enough. I was like...unless it's a 2006 Civic Si then it's not touching the 190 range, or unless it has a Prelude swap. I went ballistic on the poor kid. One of my friends was watching in pain as I ripped the kid a new one. He finally said "Well that's what he told me." Haha. Must've seen the 2006 Civic Si commercial in the movie theater and thought he had the same. I looked it up and it's 160 @ 7600RPM but only 111 ft/lbs of torque?! That's terrible. Don't they redline at like 6000 though? So you'd have to risk the engine to hit max HP. Boo for VTEC.

1993 Eclipse GS - Sold
Old 11-07-2005, 10:36 PM   #6
Thor06
Jizzed In My Pants

Variable valve timing is a very cool concept and has been mimicked (sp?) by many companys including Mitsubishi. Ever heard of MIVEC? Not sure one new ones in Evo's and the new Eclipse's with MIVEC's but the FTO came with variable valve timing. Also, if I remember right, Civic Si's got the b16a2 and they redline at 8000rpm. I just rode in a Del Sol with one, that engine is not exactly a pushover (definately not a turbo DSM ), and 160hp from a 1.6 isnt too bad especially from a non turbo engine. Please do not "boo" the VTEC just because its Honda, boo the faggots that think it automatically makes their car unbeatable.

Build on hold until I get a good paying job, either in school or once I get out. At that time a full tear down and complete rebuild should be in order.

The Purple People Eater will ride again... January 2011 can't come soon enough.
Thor06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 01:23 AM   #7
Blackcrow64
AF Moderator

I donno, I've actually seen some pretty fast Hondas for being Hondas. A guy I know was running low 13's with his out at the track last summer. It was quite impressive for being a Honda. If all those guys would do it right, instead of playing with aluminum wings and spray paint, they could keep up with some of us.
  • 05 Cobalt LS sold
  • 02 Tahoe LT sold
  • 06 Cadillac STS4 AWD sold
  • 03 Corvette Z06
  • 14 Silverado 1500
Blackcrow64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:30 AM   #8
Bodack
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor06
Variable valve timing is a very cool concept and has been mimicked (sp?) by many companys including Mitsubishi. Ever heard of MIVEC? Not sure one new ones in Evo's and the new Eclipse's with MIVEC's but the FTO came with variable valve timing. Also, if I remember right, Civic Si's got the b16a2 and they redline at 8000rpm. I just rode in a Del Sol with one, that engine is not exactly a pushover (definately not a turbo DSM ;)), and 160hp from a 1.6 isnt too bad especially from a non turbo engine. Please do not "boo" the VTEC just because its Honda, boo the faggots that think it automatically makes their car unbeatable.
I'm booing the fact that it takes until 7600RPMs until max hp. I know it's because the cam changes profile at high RMPs and all that stuff, but I'd rather have that power down low to shoot you up to the high RPMs. And you're right...160HP from a 1.6 isn't too bad a displacement:power ratio. Sure beats my 2.0L:140HP....until I go turbo.

1993 Eclipse GS - Sold
Old 11-08-2005, 09:14 AM   #9
cficare68
AF Enthusiast

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't the last generation SI have the K20a which is the samething that the TypeS RSX has, and I believe they where 200hp stock.
2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT Debagged, 18" MKW Rims, 5% Tint, Ralliart Eyelids, Outlaw Racing IM and TB Spacers, Ingals "Stiffy", Energy Suspension Polyurethane Motor Mounts, Tanabe Lower Tie/Strut Bars, Progress Rear/Eibach Front Sway Bar, D2 Racing Lowering Springs, RRE Headers and Axelback, AEM CAI w/ Bypass, 12000k HID Heads, 3000k HID Fogs, Sunroof Wind Visor, Drilled/Slotted Front/Rear Rotors, and Ceramic Brake Pads.
cficare68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:49 AM   #10
SmicAA72

I dont know exactly, but the si's aren't total muckbuckets. He would beat your GS probably, unless you have modded it somewhat. No offense Bodack, I'm not saying you are yet, but don't turn into those "honda" drivers that think their car is the shit, and everyone elses sucks, cause you sound like that right now.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:51 AM   #11
SmicAA72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodack
I crept up to him real slow like and rev a bit. He knows what's coming next, and so do I.
wtf?
Old 11-08-2005, 09:54 AM   #12
alphalanos
AF Enthusiast

i have to say that i would much rather have an eclipse ove my civic. in fact im looking to buy one eventually. (gs-t or gsx) and yes the lack of torque is horrible, but you have to remember that hondas were not really designed for power anyway.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:32 PM   #13
Bodack
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cficare68
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't the last generation SI have the K20a which is the samething that the TypeS RSX has, and I believe they where 200hp stock.
The 2005 Civic Si does have a 2.0 rated at 160HP, if that helps any. I heard some mean stories about the new Type-S though. Stories like they can outrun stock and even lightly modified turbo eclipses. I'm not sure about that, but I think it's in this forum somewhere.

Quote:
I dont know exactly, but the si's aren't total muckbuckets. He would beat your GS probably, unless you have modded it somewhat. No offense Bodack, I'm not saying you are yet, but don't turn into those "honda" drivers that think their car is the shit, and everyone elses sucks, cause you sound like that right now.
I 'm in no way saying the Si's are slow/crap/etc...merely pointing out that he wasn't squeezing 197HP from it. No idea where you're getting the "honda driver" from all of this, but I don't think of my car as the road beast V-8 killer. After all, I'm putting out under 150HP, nothing to smile at there. It doesn't even LOOK awesome. I've got the black nasties, not even hubcaps. As for the part you quoted from my story...it was just to add some dramatic humor. I'm not trying to be a novelist over here.

1993 Eclipse GS - Sold
Old 11-08-2005, 02:51 PM   #14
Eclipse4ever
AF Regular

OK here is my opinion about things. My Eclipse was maintained perfectly and it would need belts replaced, water pump, engine mounts ( old ones gave away), also it made these noises in the engine bay. It had 90,000 miles. My dads 1989 Civic has god knows how much miles now but more than 300,000 miles on it and all he ever changed was the damn starter. And that Honda is 10X more reliable then my car. I know my Eclipse was way faster and looked so much better than the Honda but his engine has perfect compression and never leaked or burned oil. I used to deliver with that car and it never ever broke down. My dad even used it to transfer some bricks or whatever for contruction and he loaded it so much it would scrape the street but it never gave away. I put a TV in the back of my Eclipse and my rear shocks started making noises when I drive. I also went trough a curb once with the Honda and nothing happend. I went through a pothole with the eclipse and I had so much problems with it. I would never trade it for a honda but I just knew that it wasnt as reliable as a Honda.

So in conclusion I think Honda's are more reliable, but just not made for big HP. I wounder when will honda make a AWD 350+hp car maybe then I might buy a honda. And besides, 2G Eclipses are gorgeous compared to honda's !!
Old 11-08-2005, 02:54 PM   #15
Bodack
AF Regular

Well put.

1993 Eclipse GS - Sold

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Off-Topic